Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
whitestar333

Compliments

I feel like there's been a lot of posts about the areas of improvement and discussion of changes to be made in Massive Chalice but I think that we also need a thread to make Brad happy and :D

I'm so impressed with Massive Chalice for an early-release beta! The art style is fantastic, mystical, and unique! In many ways, the universe seems unique and believable, familiar and alien. I love that the game is clearly in the 'fantasy' genre, but doesn't follow nearly any of the typical fantasy tropes. The sense of impending doom, of brutal survival for humanity can be felt throughout the game and I really feel like a lot more is at stake. It's dark, but the random events, chalice conversations, and the horns (oh my gods, the horns...) really help brighten up the game to provide some much needed comic relief.

I also love the strategy layer with the keeps, bloodlines, and genetics. The genetics have the perfect blend of predictability ("I want all of my hunters to have increased accuracy!") and randomness ("Oh god, I hope they aren't all drunks"). The concerns that were raised before the release of the beta regarding eugenics I think are completely gone - I think you guys nailed it and addressed those concerns perfectly with the chalice VO. The bloodlines, genetics, traits, personalities, etc. all blend together to make the best strategic planning game that I've ever played and I love it! It's unique and fun and I think it will serve as an inspiration for other games for years to come.

I firmly believe that Massive Chalice has the potential to be a classic strategy game and will surely be a massive success!!!

yeah i agree the game will be a classic once it's done, i think the brutality of the game of the constant death of characters really sets it apart, because no matter how pro you play you may just have to go to battle with a shortsighted, dimwitted drunk with a leg injury

The game is so so so so so so fun. Also, I know at one point there is a fear that it would be too much of an XCOM clone. I for one have been getting a bit bored of XCOM recently, but this feels totally new and exciting. I just want you guys to know that it doesn't feel like "OK, I'm playing basically a fantasy mod of XCOM with a gimmick." It's very much its own game.

The only thing that's stopping me from playing the game constantly right now is that I'm sure it'll be better when it's done. I'm messing with it, but I want my first 'proper' playthrough to be when all the kinks are worked out and the game is released.

From a distance, I love everything about it. The bloodlines, the traits, the aesthetics, the special events (more of them please!) I think they've produced something really, really solid and I hope they understand that the criticism, broadly, is intended to shape what's already great into something that's even better, and crucially something that's going to make a great first impression on someone who hasn't been following the development.

Massive Chalice will undoubtedly be one of my favourite Double Fine games, when it's done.

I like the silly little things.

I like how the camera rotates in the battle ground.

I like the camera shake when you zoom in on a building.

I like the fanfare when a character levels up and you complete a mission.

I love the art style; how different it is and how unique.

I liked the battle for the keeps when you get to play as the regent in defending their home.

I like the unique character types of the caberjack and alchemist.

I like the bloodline and inherited weapon mechanics.

I like the random events.

I like that I don't feel the need to quicksave and reload when characters die.

I like the absence of game breaking bugs in this early access game.

I like the music. It's calm, but exciting and loops seamlessly (I don't find it irritating)

I like how you have the option to level up character on the battle field.

I like the enemy roster.

I like how the fog of war looks.

I like the character animations and models.

Oh my god I totally forgot to mention how much I love the music and sounds! LOVE LOVE LOOOOOOVE THE MUSIC! I love how the "hearing" skill means that you can actually hear the different kinds of sounds the enemies make in the fog so you can tell if it's a wrinkler or twitcher - such a subtle thing but such a great game mechanic!

I really like the progression in the game. When it's humming along and I'm doing a good job of managing things, past challenges eventually start to feel easy. Bulwarks are terrifying the first few times they're encountered. Then you're hunters and Cabeza level enough, or they get a relic and you can start taking them out in one turn. Same thing happened with Wrinklers, then twitchers. It's a great feeling to be given a huge challenge and then a few years down the line you're smashing down "boss" monsters by the dozens.

This came to a head for me in a defend the keep mission where the keep was swarmed with Wrinklers and Lapses which up to that point had been scary enemies that were hard to deal with. But in that tense battle, i was able to fight off swarms of monsters and was able to keep everyone just barely alive. It was an awesome "not in my house" feeling that made me feel alost proud of my heroes. I want more of THAT feeling. :)

I really like the progression in the game. When it's humming along and I'm doing a good job of managing things, past challenges eventually start to feel easy. Bulwarks are terrifying the first few times they're encountered. Then you're hunters and Cabeza level enough, or they get a relic and you can start taking them out in one turn. Same thing happened with Wrinklers, then twitchers. It's a great feeling to be given a huge challenge and then a few years down the line you're smashing down "boss" monsters by the dozens.

This came to a head for me in a defend the keep mission where the keep was swarmed with Wrinklers and Lapses which up to that point had been scary enemies that were hard to deal with. But in that tense battle, i was able to fight off swarms of monsters and was able to keep everyone just barely alive. It was an awesome "not in my house" feeling that made me feel alost proud of my heroes. I want more of THAT feeling. :)

I think I had that same mission that one is though so many of them and on 1 big pile barely kept my hunters alive and then my caberjacks tanked them. With alchemist trowing bombs on top of them with upgrade alchemist can do some nice damage.

My favorite thing in this game has to be the interplay between the two chalice voices. Whoever thought that there should be two half bickering/half supportive voices for the chalice was a genius! After the first generation (where it is absolutely serious business time) I enjoy the matchmaking/personnel management aspect of the game. The music is also always good.

It's got to be the art style for me. & the battle-field design. It's so gorgeous! I wish I could just roam around the forests & explore things more often. & the Birch Trees area are so lovely! They did a great job on the art style yes. I'm wondering if there's a Debug mode we can enter to freely control the Camera to take some closer angled screenshots.

Well done Team MC!

I agree with Olera144.

The banter between the Chalice voices is so much fun, and really brings that "Doublefine-ness" to the game.

I'm also really digging the art style, it was great to see it develop over time.

It is amazing. the end. it need balance and thing could use polish. but it is right now amazing

it will be 100X more amazing when it is polished and balanced

also a gorgeous game

As much as I think the interface and early-game needs a bit of work, and so I've been focusing on talking about that, and as much as there's obviously going to be balance and bugfixes... I lost a whole day to MASSIVE CHALICE today. I know that what is already great is going to be MASSIVE by the time they're done with it, and I can't wait.

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but I really like the strategies that emerge between caberjacks and hunters. I just played a mission with only one hunter and one caberjack (both at level 4, but both with about 15 starting HP), and I managed to beat it with a combination of the hunter's stealth move and double shot, and the caberjack's taunt. I couldn't have done that with an alchemist instead of a hunter, or just caberjacks, or just hunters either.

I'm only at year 81, and I'll probably need to restart since my regents have some fertility problems (hence why I only had one caberjack and one hunter!), but I'm really enjoying the game so far :D

Sign in to follow this