Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nulian

Heros with relics should be more visible

Have played now more then 200 years and it should be a lot easier to see where the relics are.

Too often I have accidently made those guys regent and made the relic unusable for 50/60 years.

And it is also really hard to find the heroes with the relics.

They are too powerfull to ignore doing double/triple or more damage then compared to normal weapons.

I agree sometimes there isn't a good hero to put a relic onto so I give it to a promising kid. It's a little painful to try and find the kid in 5 years when an attack comes and I didn't write down his name.

I agree sometimes there isn't a good hero to put a relic onto so I give it to a promising kid. It's a little painful to try and find the kid in 5 years when an attack comes and I didn't write down his name.

I posted this in another topic...

It'd nice if there was some sort of relic armory -- so you can see all the relics and bloodlines associated with them, and other relic related stat progress stuff. But I think this is probably pie in the sky.

Smiles

yeah a person with a relic needs an icon next to their name or something, i think i have lost a few completely because i assigned them to the sages guild, or lost them temporarily because i made them a regent or a partner

I'd suggest some kind of border/backdrop/frame around their sigil to indicate that they have a relic.

I would also agree that they should have some sort of more obvious indication that they have a relic.

I'd go one farther, I'd like the relics to have their own menu alongside Heroes and Research, where you can see a list of relics, who currently holds them, who held them previously, and maybe some flavor text for each about how it was forged in the fires of whatever. Not only would that be the easiest way to identify who has each relic, but it would drive home their overall importance.

I'd go one farther, I'd like the relics to have their own menu alongside Heroes and Research, where you can see a list of relics, who currently holds them, who held them previously, and maybe some flavor text for each about how it was forged in the fires of whatever. Not only would that be the easiest way to identify who has each relic, but it would drive home their overall importance.

Yeah, a relic armory would be nice.

Smiles

Also, I would love a way to pass a relic from a Regent or a Standard to an Active hero.

Too often I have accidently made those guys regent and made the relic unusable for 50/60 years.

And it is also really hard to find the heroes with the relics.

Yes! Agreed

I'm okay with Relics only being bequeathed to certain heroes and only upon their death. It's very thematic and I love the idea of it - I just wish that the relics would be locked to that hero. I'm reminded of "cursed" items in other fantasy strategy games - the hero is required to use the item no matter what, but it's super powerful. I think that if your grandfather passes down a relic weapon only to you, that you'd be forced to use it. It might also prevent some of the issues with them not being as visible if the hero was always using that relic. I also don't like the idea of them having the option to use a cadence weapon instead.

I don't see the point of bequeathing to a specific hero. I'd like it better if any hero of the bloodline could equip it so long as no one else was/so long as it's removed from the other hero when you equip it elsewhere.

I don't see the point of bequeathing to a specific hero. I'd like it better if any hero of the bloodline could equip it so long as no one else was/so long as it's removed from the other hero when you equip it elsewhere.

I think the point is to make the passing down more significant. It makes it a bigger decision because what if you later want to make that person regent, are you going to take that relic out of action for a while? And obviously you're more likely to use a hero with a relic, so that shapes the next number of battles. I think it makes it more interesting.

+1 I agree with the need for more relic associated visibility.

Additionally, I have mixed feelings about the locking in of relics with particular bloodlines in certain cases. For instance, and I concede that this is mostly bad luck and doesn't necessarily require a full reexamination of the system, I had a random event happen to one of my original roster heroes who had never seen combat, was not part of any keep associated bloodline (all were full), and was the only one of his bloodline still or eve alive, and the random event ended up bestowing a relic upon him. At the ripe age of 67. A year or two later he died and the relic was buried with him.

I understand the added significance of restricting relics to bloodlines and also understand that the random nature of the game and these kinds of events is part of the point, but I definitely think there need to be sound boundaries put on the randomness (for instance the other thread conversation about initial roster composition). Perhaps restricting these types of events to only younger heroes or heroes who are parts of bloodlines already established to keeps. Otherwise it just makes the whole event pointless. Why even pay attention to it if it's just a waste of time?

TLDR; randomness is good and can be fun, but it must be controlled with boundaries otherwise the randomness can take the game out of the players hands and devalue the players purposeful actions.

If we're doing general discussion of relics beyond just UI components...

I still really like the idea of Relics being something that can be handed down somewhat manually rather than waiting for death. Even if it's as simple as "once a hero is in Old Age, he can hand down a Relic." It makes the handoff process slightly less wonky (especially leading up to year 300 when everything comes to a head) without breaking the themes behind it all.

Beyond that, I do wish that the relics themselves were a little more unique. Offering automatic Traits, Personalities, or skills would feel way more impactful than extra damage, and it gives some more reason to have multiple Relics per Bloodline. Near the end of the game, I had a few new relics pop up that I just assigned to any old shmuck, simply because there was no need for anything beyond the Level 10 Relics I already had.

I still really like the idea of Relics being something that can be handed down somewhat manually rather than waiting for death. Even if it's as simple as "once a hero is in Old Age, he can hand down a Relic." It makes the handoff process slightly less wonky (especially leading up to year 300 when everything comes to a head) without breaking the themes behind it all.

Beyond that, I do wish that the relics themselves were a little more unique. Offering automatic Traits, Personalities, or skills would feel way more impactful than extra damage, and it gives some more reason to have multiple Relics per Bloodline. Near the end of the game, I had a few new relics pop up that I just assigned to any old shmuck, simply because there was no need for anything beyond the Level 10 Relics I already had.

I like the idea of relics imbuing their owner with personality traits. Like maybe a relic makes someone Cocky when they have it equipped, etc. I am not sure if that is something that can be put in at this point, but it sounds fun.

Smiles

I like the idea of relics imbuing their owner with personality traits. Like maybe a relic makes someone Cocky when they have it equipped, etc. I am not sure if that is something that can be put in at this point, but it sounds fun.

Smiles

I really love this idea.

You can totally add stuff besides personality too. Relics could add the effect of: a sponge stone, a steady hander, a ramcap caber, a bone bow. Then there's drawbacks: maybe some relics could lower health, or armor, or resistance. Relics could slow movement speed, age the wielder, decrease their fertility. So much to work with here.

I don't know that Relics need drawbacks. That they're overpowered is kind of the point isn't it?

In any case, I think the emergent story prospects for relics imbuing characters with additional traits has the potential make characters and bloodlines even more memorable, e.g. this bloodline is cocky and brash because of the relic tied to their bloodline, etc.

Smiles

I REALLY like the idea that the relics imbue the user with the most dominant/common traits the bloodline carries! Like if you're the only puny member of a caberjack bloodline that the caber you inhereted from your grandfather gives you strength? That sounds awesome! I remember the original concept for the game where the "spirits" of your ancestors would appear as shadowy figures lending their support on critical hits. Giving the relics traits common to the family would really bring back that concept and I love it!

I REALLY like the idea that the relics imbue the user with the most dominant/common traits the bloodline carries! Like if you're the only puny member of a caberjack bloodline that the caber you inhereted from your grandfather gives you strength? That sounds awesome! I remember the original concept for the game where the "spirits" of your ancestors would appear as shadowy figures lending their support on critical hits. Giving the relics traits common to the family would really bring back that concept and I love it!

Having a relic imbue specific traits based on bloodline heritage is cool, but it also sounds like it might be more work to hook up in the game. If they can't do that, it'd still be fun to have a random or semi-random trait assigned to the relic.

Smiles

Sign in to follow this