Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Brad

MASSIVE CHALICE beta patch 0.82

We've pushed a new patch to the Windows version of MASSIVE CHALICE! Steam should automatically download this for you. Your save games should be compatible. Thanks so much for helping us test the game and making it better! :D!

-Brad!

BALANCE CHANGES

Good Guys

*Relic XP: Doubled the amount of XP needed to level a Relic.

*Relic Crit Chance + Damage: Increasing chance to crit and crit damage for level 1 Relics. Reducing chance to crit and crit damage for level 10 Relics.

*Relics from Random Events: Any Relic gained from a Random Event is now forced to level 1.

*Hunter: Followup - The second shot now deals 50% damage. It’s a quick hip shot and doesn’t have the same punch!

*Hunter: Stealth - Hunters can no longer enter Stealth if an enemy can see them. You’ll see the word “Spotted” over your Stealth icon and the button will be grayed out. This can be cured by breaking line of sight!

*Hunter: Dexterity Curve - Decreasing the Hunter’s Dexterity curve. Was +2.5 per level, is now +2 per level. Dexterity adds to ranged attack damage and Evasion.

*Alchemist: The Acid Solution - Damage increased from 2 to 6 per tick.

*Alchemist: Volatile Carapace Armor - Damage spread increased from 3-3 to 6-10.

*Alchemist: Intelligence Curve - Increasing the Alchemist’s Intelligence curve. Was +2 per level, is now +3 per level. Intelligence adds to Flask explosion damage and Resistance to non-physical attacks (Lapse, Rupture, and Cradle).

Bad Guys

*Rupture - Movement Speed reduced from 4 to 3

*Bulwark - HP reduced from 32 to 28

*Bulwark - Damage spread reduced from 5-7 to 4-6

*Advanced Bulwark - Damage spread increased from 5-8 to 6-10

Research

*Recruit Heroes - This research now scales as you go through the game. Recruiting Heroes early in the game will yield level 1 recruits. Recruiting Heroes late in the game will grant up to level 6 recruits.

*Bloodline Boost Research - This ability now gives +2 levels to the heroes that you get when you use the Recruit Heroes research.

*Refined Armor - Reduced research cost from 20 to 15 years.

*Advanced Armor - Reduced research cost from 40 to 30 years.

*Experience Scarf - Reduced research cost from 24 to 15 years.

*Nation Buffs - Reduced research cost for all Nation buffs from 40 to 20 years.

*Skipping Stone - Reduced research cost from 40 to 20 years.

TECHNICAL STUFF

*Borderless Window Mode - Literally the best thing about PC games in the year 2014, we now have Borderless Window support for MASSIVE CHALICE! Enable it in the Options menu!

*Higher Quality Textures - Textures were being exported at a higher compression than we’d like. This should make all of our textures sharper!

BUG FIXES

*Relic Soft-lock - Fixed a bug where you could get stuck at the “Bestow a Relic” screen with no heirs, resulting in an infinite loop!

Final Battle Fix - Fixed a crash in the Final Battle that would be a total spoiler if I wrote it here! The Final Battle should be completable now! :D!

*Missing Heroes during Capital Attack / Final Battle Deployment - Fixed a bug that was causing your heroes to be invisible on the Deployment Screen on the rim of the Chalice during a Capital Attack or the Final Battle.

*Partially Completed Building Crash - Fixed a bug where a destroyed region with a partially completed building in it would crash the game.

Additional Incest Rules - Fixed a bug where a recruited or starting hero was an eligible Partner for their nieces and nephews. (creepy!)

*“Earned” Traits on Orphans - Fixed a bug where “earned” traits that can only come from Random Events, like Ostrich Vision or The Bumbles, were being given out to Orphans.

*Green Colored Sigils - If a House’s primary color is Green, it’s secondary color was coming through as Black no matter what it was set to.

*Invisible Female Alchemist Heads - Fixed an issue where equipping new armor on a lady Alchemist made her head disappear. :o! #GhostAlchemist #spooky

*Voice Clipping - Voices were being clipped in the opening animatic a bit. This is now fixed!

*Partner Deployment! - When a Regent dies, their Partner should be available for deployment or appointment to Regency immediately.

*Bloodline Haircolor - Ensure that founding members of a Bloodline have the proper hair color.

*De-Sphincter the Chalice - The Chalice water FX came to a point in the middle making it look like a sphincter. This is now fixed! :D!

*Lost Region Load Game Fix - Fixed an issue where loading an older save game after you lost a region would make that region non-interactable.

*Thematic / Non-Thematic Mix-Match Fix - Fixed a bug on load when saving/loading games that use different settings for Bloodline types.

*Infertile + King/Queenmaker - Suppress the King/Queenmaker trait when a hero also has the Infertile trait.

*Random Events: Uncle Walrus Class Fix - Uncle Walrus now has the same class as his relatives. If this doesn’t make any sense to you, don’t worry about it! :D!

*Random Events: Family Feud Event - This event now requires two active heroes in order to be triggered.

*Random Events: Complications - Reworded the choices of this event to make more sense that you’re not guaranteed to save the mother or child. It’s now worded as “Attempt to save the mother / Attempt to save the child.”

I can no longer access my old save games.

*edited* (changed from a question, as I saw from your top note that old save games should be compatible)

*edited* (changed from a question, as I saw from your top note that old save games should be compatible)

What happens when you attempt to load the save? Or do they not appear?

Seems like some interesting changes! I especially like the new double up interaction with put it down so we can recapture that old damage with a second skill. Now comes the hardest decision. Restart or continue...

What happens when you attempt to load the save? Or do they not appear?

They do not appear at all.

I tried starting a new game, then hitting load, but all that was available was the new autosave. I quit out several times and it never reappeared.

I went to my Massive Chalice folder; it seems like there are the old save files in there still, (dated for yesterday and earlier today, and titled SG_1.sav; SG_0.sav etc), but they are not showing up in my list to load.

The hunter stealth debuff is promising. Stealth was a bit broken before (why would you ever not stealth, especially after receiving veil armor).

And it's good to see that the Bestow a Relic bug is fixed (my bug report did something :D)!

The new patch does change quite a lot of the balance. The nerfing of the Hunter class was pretty necessary and I like the way it's been done (though having gotten use to the ultra-powerful follow-up it does hurt a bit to go down to the much more reasonable version that exists now). I only played one tactical battle with the new patch and that was continuing on from a year 216 save, so I haven't experienced the impact that the patch would have on leveling.

Even with my maxed Hunter, I wasn't able to one-shot enemies using the followup shot anymore (except with relic-enhanced critical hits, but that seems fair). By the end of the battle, the top level Hunter skill (chalk one up) had come into play and each shot was dealing out hundreds of damage, but at first there was really an incentive to not try to solo the battle with the Hunter, like I had done in the previous (pre-patch) battle. In that previous battle, all of the team except that particular hunter wiped at the beginning of the encounter forcing him to snipe an entire level's worth of bulwarks, lapses, and twitchers in an open field -- all while wearing an experience belt, which is how he got to level 10.

The battle that I had post-patch involved two very highly leveled hunters (one level 10 with a level 10 relic and another level 7 with a fairly good relic as well) and three level 6 alchemists. The hunters were obviously still way better as they started at higher levels, but the alchemists did a pretty respectable job, managing to all stay alive and contribute to the fight. One alchemist even got teleported away deep into enemy territory, hit by four advanced seeds which turned into a cradle beside him and still managed to walk away with a respectable amount of health after applying one of the two ultralixirs he was carrying. Good stuff.

The new patch would not allow me to play my older save files. Whenever try to load my saves, or continue from where i left off before the patch went live, the game would constantly crash.

The Hunter changes were absolutely necessary and feel very "right." Makes "put them down" a much more interesting/viable skill to take, where before it was needless since you could so often one-shot enemies.

Great stuff.

Thx! Try to update as much as you can... especially the MC Black screen crash bug. It is a pain to play in windowed mode.

A great selection of fixes guys, it really looks like you've listened to our gripes on the previous build! :D

Thanks!

Even since I installed, my games hadn't been saving, either manually, or auto, but I had been able to continue from the continue game option in the main menu.

Well, ever since I patched, my year 180 game is no longer in the continue game screen, and none of the autosaves I had been doing worked. So back to square 1.

Is it possible my save games are somewhere locally, just not showing up in the game's menu?

----

thoughts on the patch itself:

relics definitely needed the xp nerf

hunters needed the nerfs they got too; they were making the other 2 classes seem horrible.

caberjacks were left alone, but I think they could use the buff of swapping charge with prime target (maybe remove the stun) or buffing their movement range. Caberjacks suffer from being melee. If they were a bit more maneuverable, I would use their awesome stuns a lot more. Maybe nerfing hunters opened up room for caberjacks? I'll have to see... overbuffing them could make permastun pretty easy to achieve.

not sure alchemists got enough of a damage boost this patch. If they had the old damage hunters did, in exchange for having to be closer range and needing ammo, that would make way more sense.

Combine the low damage with their support-y passives (item slot, fertilizer flask and item throw?) and the pillar throwing thrower they seem to be a support class, which is odd in a game with only 3 classes, each of which I thought was going to be heroic in its own right. I'd move double item and item throw to different levels, so you can choose to go full support by picking both, or DPS alchemist by avoiding them.

Speaking of item slots, one great thing about the XCOM Long War mod is that all troopers start with 2 item slots, and there are a ton of items available to fiddle with from the first mission. FFT also has a huge inventory available for characters to play with. I think the 1 item slot choice makes sense if items are supposed to be game-changing and huge. But I'd like to see a role for consumables and weaker items as well. Maybe a bunch of default items that dont need to be researched that you start the game with, they get phased out as cadence research takes off.

research buffs seem legit. Playing around with different item/weapon options felt impossible with the old costs.

only question with research is why the cadence armors replace normal armor rather than combining with it? If I research boneshell armor, why am I going to want to spend 30 years getting both caberjack armor upgrades?

Hi. Good to hear you are working on balancing gameplay now. I am not early access type of person, so I am waiting for the release day but I would like to say I appreciate an effort to make it less hardcore. I am intrigued by the concept but I don't like playing games where each turn my time investment can go to hell. Especially if 5 slashes can cut a character's life by half.

It's interesting to play it for an hour but I never play these games longer than that because it just starts feeling like rogue-like game where luck is more important than strategy.

+1 for Easy/Relaxed mode

Good luck with development/testing :).

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the game looks nice from what I have seen (I am trying to know as little as possible, so the game can suprise me with something new every turn).

Is there a Patch schedule, or is the schedule loose and determined more like when there is enough to fill a Patch? Lookin' forward to the next update.

Smiles

Sign in to follow this