• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Pixelton

Tim Schafer - Go forth! Burn them alive!

Tim Schafer gave what sounds like an amazing speech at this years Lepzig Games convention. As Gamasutra eloquently stated of the speech:

In summing up, the designer had some strong conclusions: "It's an illusion that people don't want creativity", "Creative people need to be more fighters", "The enemy is not that big and scary", "We are the unholy terrible giants in the game industry", and even more bombastically: "We have machine guns full of ideas, rocket launchers full with passion."

His ending salvo was fierce and terrible, and definitely entertaining: "Go forth! Burn them alive! We are the hope and the future of the games industry."

Does anyone know of place where we might be able to find an audio recording of this? (I know this is geeky but I loved Tim's last GDC speech dearly.)

Oh, and here are two text summaries for anyone interested:

http://216.92.236.126/php-bin/news_index.php?story=15217

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3162249

Good read. Thanks for posting it. I'd also like to hear the audio if it is available.

It's great to see some positive energy out there in the industry... Who better than Mr. Schafer?

Agreed - it sounds and looks amazing!

If you never had a chance to hear Tim Schafers GDC speech about called "Adventures in Character Design" please click the link below. This is from the free podcast version the GDC released last year so it should be all legal like. They now charge about ten dollars for this speech which makes angels cry.

http://www.welcometopixelton.com/downloads/GDCRadioPresentsAdventuresinCharacterDesign.mp3

[edited to work :D]

Enjoy!

I fail. I realized why everything I post here doesn't work - it strips out any non alphabet character. Editing right now so it works...[link above should be good now]