Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
valiance

Wishlist

What do you want to see in MC?

Whether it's a minor change in the next beta patch, inevitable before retail release, reasonable in an expansion or sequel (we can hope), or a totally implausible pipedream, let's hear your most wanted features for MC!

1. More enemies! This is probably my biggest gripe. I really want some more enemy types, and at the very least some palette swaps for the advanced types. New baddies are unrealistic for right now but maybe in an expansion or sequel? :D We live in hope.

2. More challenging difficulty levels than just easy/normal/hard (and Ironman mode). I'd class this as a near certain lock. I think a very difficult game will inspire people to come back again and again to try to beat it using varied tactics based on the randomness the game dishes out. I think this is huge for the longevity of the game. Devs tend to underestimate gamers, and superhard mode ends up being beaten flawlessly within the first week. I don't wanna see that here!

3. Unique models and graphics for relics. The devteam have said they wanna get this in, and it would be extra cool if there were a few different models for each relic type. But even a color swap or glow or particle effect would kick ass, and if it got more intense as the relic leveled, even better!

I made my own post for this that you can see but my main wish is for more stats to be offered on the death of a character. I'll just grab the list from my post of stats that I think would be awesome

Soldiers:

-Total Missions fought***

-Total Cadence kills***

-Total damage dealt

-Highest damage dealt in a single attack***

-Overall accuracy (for hunters)

-Total units stunned (for caberjacks)

-Most units damaged with a single attack (for alchemists)

-Any unique event statuses from the random events

Regents/Partners:

-Years of service as regent/partner***

-Number of children raised

-Total beneficial traits conferred

-Total detrimental traits conferred

Crucible Standards:

-Years of service as Standard***

-Total trainee experience generated***

-Total beneficial traits conferred

-Total detrimental traits conferred

Sagewrights

-Years of service as Sagewright***

-Total years of research cost reduction generated***

Adding more drama to tactical battles would make them feel more unique:

- BETTER SOUND DESIGN IN TACTICAL BATTLES

The creatures could be much more terrifying with better sound. Now the sound is just OK.

- FINISHERS

Prompting a camera close up when your charater dies or a particularly nasty/big creature bites the dust would also improve the feel of combat and the engagement of the player.

- FINISHERS

Prompting a camera close up when your charater dies or a particularly nasty/big creature bites the dust would also improve the feel of combat and the engagement of the player.

I don't think this is going to happen probably. Early on in the Teamstreams, they talked about this sort of X-Com-esque design, and the added cost and development for it pushed it out of scope so they could focus on more iteration of the core systems I think.

Smiles

Also I think the sound design is one of the best parts of the game, I was just thinking about that earlier. Anyway, what I'd like is:

1) Better tutorial stuff at the start

2) Improvements to UI/Interface particularly on the battle screen but also between battles

3) Properly balanced classes and hybrid classes

4) Improvements to the adoption mechanics which are just too disadvantageous right now.

Adding more drama to tactical battles would make them feel more unique:

- BETTER SOUND DESIGN IN TACTICAL BATTLES

The creatures could be much more terrifying with better sound. Now the sound is just OK.

Heh, my girlfriend were complaining the hole time I was playing tactical battles yesterday. "Was is that game? It sounds horrible."

I don't fully agree with her, but it could use a bit of work.

I would really like the hybrid classes to make it in. (Does anyone kniow if that's still happening?)

*More research to be available earlier

Yes!

I would really like the hybrid classes to make it in. (Does anyone kniow if that's still happening?)

The Massive Chalice Team mentioned Hybrids indeed are going to be in -- they just aren't in this initial release of the Beta because they wanted to get a better balance of the core classes before introducing the hybrids -- so it is a feature to come once classes have had one or two more balance passes it seems like maybe.

Smiles

maybe a few special events that give genetic traits that could be bred into your kingdom would be fun, maybe some resistances like "elephant's memory" (resistant to lapses), "enduring youth" (resistant to wrinklers) or "temporal anchor" (resistant to those swapper guys i can't think of the name right now) or perhaps if they survive an attack from those things they have a chance to build a resistance, and pass that down to their kids, or just general gained genetic traits from special events

maybe a few special events that give genetic traits that could be bred into your kingdom would be fun, maybe some resistances like "elephant's memory" (resistant to lapses), "enduring youth" (resistant to wrinklers) or "temporal anchor" (resistant to those swapper guys i can't think of the name right now) or perhaps if they survive an attack from those things they have a chance to build a resistance, and pass that down to their kids, or just general gained genetic traits from special events

In general, I am in favor of more and more genetic traits and personality traits, since I think the diversity is one of the appeals, at least to me! So I'd dig those.

Smiles

Add an item to resist the XP loss attacks from Lapses or allow characters to gain additional XP after reaching Level 10 to act as a buffer against the Lapses' attacks.

In late-game battles where you play as Level 10 characters, just one attack from a Lapse causes them to knock down to Level 9. This is particularly frustrating in the final battle. It pretty much guarantees you don't get to use the Level 10 abilities during the final battle.

Include a Research option to reduce the corruption of a particular region. After the Research is complete, a battle is triggered in the chosen location and if the player is successful, the region's corruption is reduced by one step.

Right now, save-scumming is pretty much the only way to actively prevent losing a region to corruption since you could just get really unlucky and have a series of battles that all target three regions. Having a method to reducing corruption that required Research time would allow the player to proactively reduce this corruption and not have to rely on the mercy of the random number generator.

Include the "multiple waves" battle mechanic before the final battle. Maybe a scripted battle near the midway point that functions similarly to the final battle so the players know what to expect and how to prepare for it.

Playing an entire game without multiple waves of Cadence only to have a final battle that includes SEVERAL waves of Cadence without any indication of how long they would keep coming is really infuriating. Having a "minor" version of the final battle at the midway point would make use of the lower-powered younger ancestors that are completely useless during the final battle and it would give the player an idea of what to expect and prepare for.

Include Trainees during the Keep defense battles so that you have to rescue them (similar to the Terrorism missions in "XCOM") and include a reward for completing them.

Right now the Keep defense battles are cool, but they just feel like moderately more difficult versions of the other battles. It would be cool if all of the Trainees at a particular Keep are near the Regent and Spouse and can be killed by the Cadence, making it more like the Terrorism missions in "XCOM: Enemy Unknown". Also, the fact that Keep defense missions have no reward is pretty lame. They should at least reduce corruption in that particular region. Perhaps having the Regent and/or Spouse perform well and survive the battle leads to the creation of a new Bloodline Relic for that Keep?

Either make the Blunder Bow more powerful (maybe cause it to cause damage to surrounding enemies or cause knockback), give it better range, or just remove it completely.

The Blunder Bow is terrible. Make it better or get rid of it.

Explain how the Timefist works.

The Timefist sounded really cool but when I actually tried it out, it seemed very underwhelming. The Caberjack's greatest strength is its ability to knock back enemies, and removing that ability just to apparently teleport enemies to a different location on the map (or removing them from battle, it's not terribly clear what exactly it does) seems like a waste. It should be at least comparable to the devastating Knockback Caber.

Actually, explain how a LOT of things work.

Almost nothing is explained in this game. This leads to a lot of flailing about and making really simple, stupid mistakes with really far-reaching consequences. I accidentally set up my first three Keeps with Hunter Bloodlines because I didn't know that Keeps could only have one Bloodline for the entire game and that each Bloodline only produced one type of Recruit. I ended up having WAY too many Hunters and not enough Caberjacks and Alchemists in late game.

Have more random events surrounding the drama of particular subjects.

Things are too peaceful in between the Cadence attacks. Maybe have the characters try to murder one another if they don't get along or if a marriage doesn't go well or if there are too many Trainees and there ends up being a succession crisis. Too many characters simply "die of old age". It would be interesting if sometimes characters died through suspicious circumstances, like a Recruit starts assassinating other Recruits. Maybe have Bloodlines feud with one another. The Cadence attack so infrequently that it's not hard to imagine the younger members of the Bloodline getting restless.

Allow the player to assassinate characters at the expense of increasing corruption in that region.

Sometimes you just want a character to die and there's really nothing you can do but wait. It would be cool if there was an assassination mechanic where you could have a character killed to open up their seat as a Regent/Spouse/Standard/Sagewright, but you run the risk of getting caught. If you do, you increase corruption in that particular region by one step to discourage the player from doing it too often.

Allow the player to change the first names of Recruits while they're still Trainees and then use those names to inform future children if they end up becoming Regents (similar to how it works in "Crusader Kings II").

There's just not enough character customization in the game. It's hard enough to get attached to anyone when they'll probably die or retire after two or three battles, but it's even harder if you can't even name them. It would be nice to be able to assign first names to characters before they turn 15. It would also be cool if those names were passed down if that character becomes a Regent or Spouse.

Create minor optional missions to accomplish to prepare for the final battle.

Right now, the final battle is WAY too hard and introduces way too many new mechanics without any kind of preparation. Also, the game has pretty slow pacing, particularly towards the end. I shouldn't feel like I'm waiting for the clock to reach Year 301. I should be begging for more time. I think it would help if there were minor missions to accomplish in order to prepare for the final battle. Maybe if you accomplish a particular goal, you unlock the ancestor resurrection ability used in the final battle. Maybe accomplishing another goal allows you to use the Chalice as a siege weapon to take out a large number of enemies at once a limited number of times during the battle. These missions would give the player another priority to juggle when deciding what to spend time on during the later game and give them something proactive to do in preparation for the endgame.

Allow buildings to be torn down and replaced.

Allow Standard/Sagewright/Regent/Spouse appointments to be undone so long as no time has passed since the appointment.

This caused a couple of "OH SHIT" moments for me. A simple "undo" button that goes away as soon as you start the clock again would be sufficient.

Allow the player to sort subjects by fertility while choosing Standards and Sagewrights.

Since they won't be allowed to marry, it would be nice to be able to prioritize infertile Recruits for these appointments. On that note, the ability to filter Recruits by certain traits or sort by certain stats would also be very helpful.

Give Caberjacks greater movement speed so long as they are wearing default armor.

Caberjacks are pretty terrible in the early game. They're about as vulnerable as the Hunters and they deal about the same amount of damage, but they can't double-attack and they can only do melee attacks, which is doubly frustrating because they can't move very far at first. Allowing them to cover more ground while they are wearing light armor would make them significantly more useful early on.

Give the Recruits more personality.

They all seem to act the same during combat. They say their Bloodline's motto when they defeat opponents, but it would be cool if they also said other things more unique to them specifically as individuals.

Era Names / DoB-DoD for Heroes

I was looking at all of my dead heroes, trying to see if one awesome hunter was the great-great aunt of a current awesome hunter, or just the great-aunt. Right now there's no way to tell what era a dead hero lived in. Simply adding a "Born in Year 4, died in Year 53" would help.

This also opens up the possibility of the game naming eras, either as they happen, or after the fact. A simple version of this would just be to give specific names to the early-, mid-, and late-game. A cooler version would be to dynamically create eras based on player's winning/losing streaks. It would be great to look back at a starting hero and see that she lived through the "golden age" and the mission in which she died marks the beginning of "the fall."

It's too difficult to appreciate the grand timeline (stuff beyond the visible timeline at the top of the screen) when it's only a number. Creating era names would help, I think! :)

EDIT:

Love

Love as a compatibility factor would help. As folks were saying in another thread, there's currently no reason to set up a same-sex marriage. When I'm setting up hetero-marriages, it feels like I'm breeding livestock, when I really want it to feel like I'm making hard choices between what the heroes want and what's best for the nation. At its most extreme, having individual heroes be in love with other individual heroes would be great, but it could also work in the way feuds currently work (one family having a romantic affinity for another for the current generation?).

The ability to relocate appointees to a new (vacant) building

It should take some time, but you should be able to move Standards, Regents, and Sagewrights to an empty building. In my case the region with my guild is at 2 corruption and I just build a shiny new guild in a zero corruption province. I should be able to relocate them. Same with Standards and Regents. There should be a time cost where you lose the bonuses [no XP buff from standards, no babies being born or no trainees receiving xp buffs, no research bonus] during the move, but if there is nothing wrong with moving to greener pastures.

The ability to appoint a temporary steward to a keep would be nice, based on my observations an unoccupied keep triggers a cadence attack.

just one: let there be more music in the battles. we have so much great music in this game, it ois way to silent

Sign in to follow this