Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrStoked

The Final Battle

I have encountered Scylderon issue as well. Bodies are starting to litter the floor everywhere and after something like 12 waves, my fighters started being overwhelmed.

I used 3 hunters all level 10, one with a relic, but it does not matter, since with chalk one up +50% they can all one shot anything.

A level 7 caberjack with a level 10 relic, soon a level 10 cabarjack. There are just enough enemies to level up any character.

A level 10 alchemist with a new level 1 relic, in the course of the fight, it became a level 10 relic.

The issue is that even with mostly one shot kills, most classes can only kill one enemy by turn. Since there can be many more enemies coming out of the shadow at a random point of the battle, they eventually overwhelmed one of my hunters.

From there, the little defeats started to snowball. Her ancestor was a level 9, soon level 10, but without the chalk one up bonus, he was way more efficient. The cadence soon took out another fighter, and from there they just overwhelmed my defenses.

Each hit on the Chalice seems to deal *4 (one time on each of the 4 side), so the chalice 'only' have 125 hit points.

After a couple more turn, the cadence succeeded in getting the chalice to 0hp, and from there nothing. I guess the losing condition is not yet here.

TakeAway from this fight :

-I love the idea !

-I have no idea of what is going on with this enormous succession of enemies. I am going to assume that this is a bug. I the end, I continued the fight only to check if letting the cadence destroy the Chalice was the normal end for this battle. I had no feedback on what to do and with a seemingly endless stream of enemies, I thought that it was the only way out.

-The Ancestor mechanism is a very neat idea but sadly they end up being useless against these advanced enemies.

-I was expecting something more in line with XCOM - Enemy Within base attack mission where all your active soldiers can take part to the battle. There are probably engine and game design limitations behind this though.

edit : the campaign was started in the first public beta but this fight was started with the last one at the time of writing.

Just to confirm that there were 4 major waves in my final encounter (the initial one, then I heard 3 more warp in), and they seemed to come mostly from the upper/right end of the map, with a few enemies coming from below and the middle too.

None of my guys died - actually, they didn't even come close. I think they could have lasted twice as long without any deaths, but it would have got boring.

To me the pace the enemies were arriving seemed about right, but they were so keen to go for the chalice that they'd ignore opportunities to attack on the way, so I kept getting that familiar 'MASSIVE CHALICE' feeling of 'whoops, moving my guy there was a mistake, he's screwed!' only to have the enemy move straight past him.

Maybe it'd be better if the enemy was split into chalice attack and hero attack. Lapses and Wrinklers seem like they'd make great hero attackers. Seeds seem like they'd make great chalice attackers, and twitchers because they could swap with your hero near the chalice, then move in for the kill. Bulwarks would be interesting because they could attack the chalice but put heroes between them and the chalice, so that they're essentially attacking both.

I think those sorts of changes would turn the fight into something MUCH more dynamic.

I actually can't win. And I can't lose either.

Bulwark hits the chalice below zero and game just stops in the enemy's turn.

As it stands the final battle is unbearable. 90% of the time I'm just watching enemies move.

The winning conditions are really unclear and I wish it would make more sense. Is it really to survive 5 waves? Because they just keep coming. All my heroes end up dying except for an ultra tanky Caberjack. Everyone else is are level 3 Hunter ancestors.

It really irks me that the Cadence do the smart thing and go straight for the chalice rather than attacking the heroes. It feels incongruent with how they were in the other missions.

Nachi - I haven't seen that case where the chalice is below 0 and it stops on the enemy turn. If you could send a save game we'll track it down.

Just replayed the last fight on my 5 hunter, it feels way better.

-The music is great, although it stopped at somepoint.

-The waves press a lot more, got my chalice damaged to 429/500 hp(previous 2 encounters 500/500) mostly by a 10 hp seed that i had to let there for a long time because the "unending" wave of cadence.

-Hunters feel better(not as OP as before)

Great overall improvements.

I am also doing the 16 year old regent tactic that many other people seem to be doing. Perhaps up the age of marriage so that you can't become regent until you are 30+ so that they have to fight in some battles? You can use the excuse that the population wont accept a regent who is not battle worn?

I would also drastically lower the fertility rate so that each character feels more important. And regents feel less like baby factories. Right now I can't remember who is who and they level so fast that I don't really mind when someone dies in combat. I would lower the fertility and xp gain but make each level drastically more powerful.

If possible making a history for each character that you can access in combat would be pretty neat. It states the missions they have been on, the enemies they have killed. Quests they may have done and partners and connections they may have or had.

For the final battles. I think the idea of the ancestors holding off the enemies while the new generation does something else would be really neat. Then you can ramp up the power of each wave of enemy with the newer and higher level generations.

But i think those things could make the last battle more epic. Maybe? Lol,

Tried this 3 times and got the 0 HP Chalice freeze all 3 times. This last try I counted the waves and I saw 4 teleport in plus the initial wave = 5 total. So, I think/hope this is just a matter of the win condition not triggering. I held out for a long while after that last wave, so I assume there wasn't supposed to be another one, but hard to tell without a round counter.

Happy I made it through 5 waves at least, but man...wanted that win screen. Maybe I'll try an earlier save to see if that one is glitched as well.

Also emailed my save game in case it's helpful at all.

I've made two attempts. Each nearly an hour+ and been frustrated with the infinite waves coupled with huge miss chances. I've got a team of 5 level 10 hunters with level 10 relics. Everyone on this thread seems to be talking about how OP they are - but I've found mine miss a *huge* amount of the time. I'm using flares to CC and double tapping whenever possible - killing dozens of the things, but it never ends. And I just started playing so its the newest patch.

Definitely an interesting and fun setup, but the execution still needs polish.

The people getting endless Waves of mobs, do you manage to clear each wave Before the next one warps in for the first 4-5 Waves?

When I did it, each wave was totally wiped Before the next one warped in, and didn't have this trouble at all.

Was thinking it might be some bug around that.

All hunters might have some issues with seeds, and miss alot. I Always make sure to take atleast 1 caber + 1 alchemist on missions for the mobs that hunters struggle with.

Also caberjack and alchemist are pretty good in the last fight. They can kill multiple enemies / turn, which hunters can't. And since the alchemist at level 10 has 10 bottles, and can refill their stock, they never run out of them.

All hunters might have some issues with seeds, and miss alot. I Always make sure to take atleast 1 caber + 1 alchemist on missions for the mobs that hunters struggle with.

Also caberjack and alchemist are pretty good in the last fight. They can kill multiple enemies / turn, which hunters can't. And since the alchemist at level 10 has 10 bottles, and can refill their stock, they never run out of them.

=> My hunters all carry a steady hander by the end of the game, to improve hit chance.

=> One of my hunters had, on purposed, replaced his Relic with a bone-barb-bow, and he was targetting weaker ennemies, killing many in one shot.

I think it's the Chalice that warps cadence in, is it? Or does the Chalice just "calls" them? I had this idea, where, in the final level, the player could chose when to call the next wave. That way, the player could call as many waves as he wants, the more the better, maybe with a time limit. Maybe there could be a final score according to how many waves have been destroyed.

I beat it with 5 Caberjacks, it wasn't too hard I had 3 of them die though (2 to old age and 1 to the Cradle's artillery and Laspes high damage) I just found the fight pretty confusing. There was no way to tell when the enemies would stop coming, any sort of indication to that would be great. Also if we had vision of the entire room it would make sense I think and also make the fight feel more epic seeing all the enemies.

Why are they warping in? I didn't understand that, if they could warp into the throne room the entire time why not do it before?

I did it with 4 Alchemists and a Hunter. Turns out I didn't need the Hunter, and none of my guys died. Actually one of the easiest fights, because all I had to do was wait for the Cadenc to approach, then drop a flask on them. Lvl 10 Alchemists do 59 odd damage per flask, and have no cooldown on free throwing, so you can drop 2 flasks per turn. That means 2 flasks to get rid of an advanced twitcher, 1 for everyone else...insane.

Also, the reason they warp into the Throne is because the Chalice is warping them in. It requires their essence to power up the spell of cleansing. However, bringing them in drains some of the energy, so it needs your protection whilst it charges up, and absorbs the Cadence essence...

Still doesn't make sense to me, when you kill them is the chalice trapping their "essence" or something? Why not just capture them on a mission instead? Why bring them close to the chalice?

Still doesn't make sense to me, when you kill them is the chalice trapping their "essence" or something? Why not just capture them on a mission instead? Why bring them close to the chalice?

The story says something about it, its mystical and magical. Makes sense since its magic.

It's to do with saving the energy until they are ready to perform the ritual. It takes 300 years to get the ritual ready, and the last bits needed are the essences of those Cadence.

It's quite a sneaky thing if you think about it - warp your enemy in to literally harvest them.

I get the feeling the Cadence is really just a force of nature, no more or less, and tbh I think the game needs a bestiary/unit descriptions or something, so you can see what on Earth is going on with these guys.

There also need to be more enemies. I like that there are 2 that shoot from range, 2 that attack up close, and one that can teleport in and attack (and hit you very hard) but imho there *could* be more.

Well that was crazy... I may have to start from scratch here...

5 hunters equipped with level 10 relics.

Once I stacked enough Chalk one ups early on that I was killing 4-5 enemies per turn, but the Cadence warped in faster than that and destroyed my Chalice.

EDIT:

That said, the fight felt very weird. More information would of been nice.

Namely:

- have a waves remaining counter (preferably voiced - something like "# waves to go!"), and a 'turns until next wave' counter (and have the chalice voice say something along the lines of "The next wave of Cadence has been summoned!")

- ancestors coming to replace your killed heroes was... bizarre. I mean, I was lucky that I generally choose the best heroes possible to be my regent and partner, but if I didn't do that... it would of sucked.

EDIT2:

So I changed my strategy and won very easily with 5x Relic Hunters

- I re-equipped all my heroes with Steady Handler so they wouldn't miss (they all have patriotic for extra dex).

- I ignored the seedlings unless they got beside my Chalice, ignored the Cradles (that never target the Chalice), and focused purely on killing the Lapse, Wrinklers, and Shamblers.

- Very frequently, seedlings would combine into a Cradle, which made my life even easier.

Won with around 350-400hp on my Chalice.

Potential Bug: This time around, I didn't load any saves in the middle of the final battle, finishing it in a single 1.5hour session. I have a suspicion that loading a save for the final battle may reset the wave counters and cause the wave after wave issue people mentioned?

I got overwhelmed by numbers last time myself, cause the waves kept spawning, and they didn't this time around.

I'm getting the 0HP Chalice freeze as well.

I had gotten some level 10 characters, but not early enough to have level 10 recruits, so I have only level 8/9 characters in here. My phenomenally awesome level 10 Caberjack literally died during the year 300, before the final battle triggered.

So my biggest problem is accuracy - I seem to miss at least one attack every turn, which is just KILLER when there are this many enemies to handle.

I can't "go back" and equip my party with Steady Handers without just loading an old save, since the autosave is at the start of the fight. And when my Chalice gets to 0 my game just softlocks with nothing happening, so I don't even know what the normal "try again" state would be. Also, when my ancestors get resurrected they're carrying who KNOWS what items so I'd lose the Accuracy then anyway.

This last time the only reason my Chalice even got to 0hp at all is that I inadvertently tagged it with Acid when flasking some bad guys (Acid hurting the Chalice makes NO sense, by the way).

First thing first, the game is awesome, I've been glued to the screen for 3 days until I finished my first game.

That being said, I've found the game a little on the easy side, the weirdest thing for me is that the first battles where much more challenging than the last ones. Also not having keeps to continue my bloodlines made those first years harder (I almost lost my alchemists). Maybe part of the blame is mine, cause I've seen all the TeamStreams and more.

When I reached the final battle I've just lost 3 territories, my heroes finished their training about level 7 or 8 and I,ve had like 5 or 6 herore son level 10, but none of those were alive.

On my first try I arranged my typical team (two hunters, two cabers and an alchemist). i found my hunters pretty useless (they were level 8 both with a level 10 relic). It took me like 4 round to actually click the Vhalice to refill my alchemist's flasks (maybe my bad, maybe GUI design, not sure). I had one caber with a level 10 relic. I felt like if he had been level 10 he could have solved the battle on his own. Nevertheless I lose and the game freezed so I have to reload.

Second run and I just put three cabers and two alchemist's, even without level 10 heroes it was pretty easy after the first batch of cadence.

To sum up I'd say that the main problem with the battles is that once you get to know the AI it's just too silly, throwing advance cadence or just a bigger number of them makes little challenge. In the final battle I think this feeling could be somehow reduced throwing a new cadence class (bigger and with new mechanics, maybe a mix of the three types of cadence). Also I found the narraatiive weak, I never thought of it as the focus of the game, but the rush to the final battle when my reign wasn't doing that bad felt weird. Maybe you could let the timeline plaay until the cadence actually reach the chalice, and then let you make your team with guys from the past. Anyway, Massive Chalice is awesome, I'm going to start a new game rightaway!

[bUG] On the final video I saw blue and yellow squares indicating the start and the end of camera movements.

First thing first, the game is awesome, I've been glued to the screen for 3 days until I finished my first game.

That being said, I've found the game a little on the easy side, the weirdest thing for me is that the first battles where much more challenging than the last ones. Also not having keeps to continue my bloodlines made those first years harder (I almost lost my alchemists). Maybe part of the blame is mine, cause I've seen all the TeamStreams and more.

When I reached the final battle I've just lost 3 territories, my heroes finished their training about level 7 or 8 and I,ve had like 5 or 6 herore son level 10, but none of those were alive.

On my first try I arranged my typical team (two hunters, two cabers and an alchemist). i found my hunters pretty useless (they were level 8 both with a level 10 relic). It took me like 4 round to actually click the Vhalice to refill my alchemist's flasks (maybe my bad, maybe GUI design, not sure). I had one caber with a level 10 relic. I felt like if he had been level 10 he could have solved the battle on his own. Nevertheless I lose and the game freezed so I have to reload.

Second run and I just put three cabers and two alchemist's, even without level 10 heroes it was pretty easy after the first batch of cadence.

To sum up I'd say that the main problem with the battles is that once you get to know the AI it's just too silly, throwing advance cadence or just a bigger number of them makes little challenge. In the final battle I think this feeling could be somehow reduced throwing a new cadence class (bigger and with new mechanics, maybe a mix of the three types of cadence). Also I found the narraatiive weak, I never thought of it as the focus of the game, but the rush to the final battle when my reign wasn't doing that bad felt weird. Maybe you could let the timeline plaay until the cadence actually reach the chalice, and then let you make your team with guys from the past. Anyway, Massive Chalice is awesome, I'm going to start a new game rightaway!

[bUG] On the final video I saw blue and yellow squares indicating the start and the end of camera movements.

That's not a bug, it's just that those cinematics are unfinished, so you're seeing unfinished type stuff! They used to be on the pre-battle cinematic, too, but they've updated that since the first beta. :)

Anyway, as to your suggestions: I agree that if they somehow have time for it it would be super great for them to have some new, super threatening 'boss' type cadence in the final battle, and I like the idea of it being an amalgam of all 3 cadence families. It would really make the final battle feel special. However, enemies take a lot of resources to design, animate and implement, so the ship might have sailed on this one.

I don't agree that the final battle should wait for you to be ready for it before happening - it would undermine the central point of the game which is that you have a limited amount of time to prepare your bloodlines for the final encounter, and that in the end you may just not be ready.

That said, the game could potentially do more to give you an idea about how well you are doing, so people can make a judgement whether it's worth continuing.

That's not a bug, it's just that those cinematics are unfinished, so you're seeing unfinished type stuff! They used to be on the pre-battle cinematic, too, but they've updated that since the first beta. :)

Anyway, as to your suggestions: I agree that if they somehow have time for it it would be super great for them to have some new, super threatening 'boss' type cadence in the final battle, and I like the idea of it being an amalgam of all 3 cadence families. It would really make the final battle feel special. However, enemies take a lot of resources to design, animate and implement, so the ship might have sailed on this one.

I don't agree that the final battle should wait for you to be ready for it before happening - it would undermine the central point of the game which is that you have a limited amount of time to prepare your bloodlines for the final encounter, and that in the end you may just not be ready.

That said, the game could potentially do more to give you an idea about how well you are doing, so people can make a judgement whether it's worth continuing.

Well, you're right obviously not a bug.

I'm aware of the developing time for designing, texturing, rigging and animating of a character (add AI and putting it into the game), eveng if these guys are pros you are right and it may be too late, I just feel like it could be a way to make the final battle more epic and maybe challenging.

Checking other threads I've seen that some people find the game too long and difficult so I guess not many would enjoy having to wrestle to the end.

Checking other threads I've seen that some people find the game too long and difficult so I guess not many would enjoy having to wrestle to the end.

For those people, there will be easy mode. And normal mode is likely to get a little easier (particularly at the start) - so I think everyone will be catered for.

Seems like most of the people struggling here (on the recent build at least) are using too many hunters.

With a single caberjack at level 10 with a level 10 relic (and with steady hand equipped, and the speed trait), I could clear 5-6 monsters per turn thanks to the level 10 skill. I also take the skill that makes him immune to knockback so the exploding lapses don't interrupt the streak.

My two alchemists could take care of the rest (I just park them in some grass by the chalice). My two hunters were mostly ineffective, since they can rarely 1 shot things and they often miss entirely (at level 10 with a level 10 relic). The Cadence managed to land only one hit on the Chalice. Honestly the final battle seemed too easy, but I did really like the sense of power at how awesome my heroes were. It felt like, hey, I finally arrived! All that careful planning paid off!

Although, to include a point to this post, level 10 hunters seem weak compared to the other 2 classes. Hunters seemed pretty powerful early game but by end game, I really didn't like them anymore.

ALSO- as a side note, I had no idea that a past hero was summoned in, one time when my alchemist died. I had no idea why I got my character back because I didn't realize it was a different person. (I figured out what was going on after my second playthrough). I think there needs to be some kind of voice over to tell people what happens.

Speaking of voice overs, it feels a little weird that the Chalice is making the exact same commentary during the final battle as it does during normal battles.

The problem is it's not trivial to ensure you have a level 10 for the final battle.

I had MULTIPLE level 10s for the battle before 300, but they died just before year 300 leaving me with new trainees that were level 8.

Then, once I resurrected my awesome level 10 caberjack, she got knocked to level 9 instantly (see my thread "Lapses are unfairly punishing to level 10 heroes") and never got to use her level 10 skill.

And yeah, it feels really broken that Hunters can be so effective earlier and then be useless in the Final Battle. Part of this is because Veil Armor Hunters are great scouts and great for springing surprise damage on isolated enemies. But in the Final Battle, you don't NEED any scouting and the design of the level means you will pretty much NEVER be able to use the Hunter Stealth. So one of their major gameplay purposes is unnecessary, and the only enemies with HP low enough for them to get guaranteed kills (Advanced Seeds) are pretty much designed to be anti-Hunter and impossible to hit.

This leaves Hunters useless - their stealth half can't be used, their damage half is badly hurt by the evasion and high HP of the Advanced Cadence.

Caberjacks, on the other hand, are ridiculously OVERpowered in this fight - especially with the Ramcap Caber, since the enemies are so thick you're guaranteed to be able to knock multiple enemies into each other every turn. This same fact means that my level 10 Relic Caber is pretty much useless, because the knockback on the Ramcap Caber is so much more useful. The Bulwark armor for Caberjacks is also superpowered in this fight since they can absorb hits from many enemies in a turn, only taking 1 damage from most of the hits.

Alchemists I can't even judge well since I only had 1, but they still feel better than Hunters. AoE from the flasks/bees/etc is obviously useful with this many enemies, and the free action is super useful as well. Their only weakness is the 5 flask limit, which is neatly avoided by either the "refill" action (that refills their explosive flasks, right?) or just dying and resurrecting a new Alchemist with full flasks.

The problem is it's not trivial to ensure you have a level 10 for the final battle.

I had MULTIPLE level 10s for the battle before 300, but they died just before year 300 leaving me with new trainees that were level 8.

Well you've hit the nail on the head, getting good characters that hit level 9-10 before even fighting a single battle is the goal of the whole game. No it is not trivial, but that should be your overall objective (along with leveling relics).

To me, it isn't a problem that the end battle tests this. You SHOULD need level 10 characters at the final fight to succeed.

(Both of my playthroughs my characters were reaching level 9.5 without entering a single battle by end game, through training from parents and crucibles, and it didn't strike as too difficult, but maybe I built more crucibles than you.)

Well you've hit the nail on the head, getting good characters that hit level 9-10 before even fighting a single battle is the goal of the whole game. No it is not trivial, but that should be your overall objective (along with leveling relics).

To me, it isn't a problem that the end battle tests this. You SHOULD need level 10 characters at the final fight to succeed.

(Both of my playthroughs my characters were reaching level 9.5 without entering a single battle by end game, through training from parents and crucibles, and it didn't strike as too difficult, but maybe I built more crucibles than you.)

Well, I think yes and no. Right now, that's absolutely the case. And it'll still probably be the case to an extent. But the developers have talked about how they don't quite like how much levels contribute to success right now, to the point that you can ignore most research and concentrate on pure levelling and XP maximising and win handily that way. They want to make researched items more of a factor (at least that was how I'm reading what they said)

It actually kinda -is- trivial to get to level 9-10 right now, if you build more than 1 crucible and retire experienced heroes. I think in future it'll be much more of an interesting balance between XP and research.

"It actually kinda -is- trivial to get to level 9-10 right now, if you build more than 1 crucible and retire experienced heroes. I think in future it’ll be much more of an interesting balance between XP and research."

Agreed.

Just for kicks, I have 3 crucibles, 1 Guild, and 6 keeps in my current playthrough.

Many many heroes to choose from, and regularly hitting level 7 when they come of age. It's quite normal to have a choice of several guys at lvl 8 each time the Cadence attacks.

The only sad thing is that asthma and heart disease have afflicted every bloodline.

Yeah, at this early phase I didn't know what balance was best - I had 3 Keeps, 2 Crucibles, 1 Guild for most of the game (had a 4th keep but lost its zone, sadly). My kids were coming out of training at level 8 and making short work of everything they faced, but the final battle is tough for them. I'm not sure what I should have done differently to get higher-level trainees by the endgame.

The problem, of course, is that you can't predict back in turn 100 whether you're setting things up such that you'll be training level 9.5 heroes by turn 300. You have to play all of those years, then discover that your dudes aren't trained enough.

Right, I just completed my first game and found the last battle very easy. In fact, I found the last 100 years of the game quite easy this time - while before I really struggled and died before year 200. I think for the last 50 years at least (perhaps even longer), all the kids became level 10 before even glimpsing a battle in their future. I think I've even had babies born at level 7 or 8.

It seems that my last strategy worked a little too well, so things got easy.

I believe I had 5 keeps, 2 crucibles and 3 guilds for most part of the game (or was it 3 crucibles and 2 guilds... gotta check that). In the beginning I really focussed on getting those buildings done. After that, as research increased a lot through the guilds, getting all the items developed was no struggle at all. I only lost 3 regions at the end.

On the whole I used battle-seasoned heroes as standard early on, but when choosing regents and partners I really only looked at traits. In fact, I often picked young heroes with great traits, so I wouldn't have to pick new regents for a long while. I believe that the crucibles did their jobs so well that my nation as a whole slowly levelled up to 10, without having to care about the levels of regents.

I entered the final battle with two level 10 caberjacks (both with level 10 relics), two level 10 hunters (1 relic, not maxed out) and one 10 level alchemist (level 10 relic).

Having said all of that, these are my thoughts of the final battle:

- I had NO idea that my heroes were being replaced by their ancestors. Awesome concept! But indeed, I agree that perhaps some dialogue could point this out? Or the first time, the game could zoom in on the hero that is being replaced, so it is perhaps a bit more obvious that there's a different person?

- I barely lost any heroes to start with - only 2, maybe 3. When I realised "I couldn't die" (as I had no idea the heroes were being replaced), I was like.. okay? I can't possibly lose now. That made the end feel like less of a challenge. Had I known about the ancestors, I would have felt different I think.

- I agree with those who said it before: the alchemist feels fairly obsolete here. Towards the end I left him pretty idle in the middle, throwing the odd bomb here and there. 80% of the enemies were taken out by the two caberjacks and their epic killing streaks.

- As my heroes were very strong, I wouldn't have minded the enemy being stronger / less easy to kill in one blow by a caberjack. Or more waves. I think I completed the final battle in about 45 min.

What I think would benefit the game (to prevent the end being so easy):

- Restrictions on the number of keeps / crucibles / guilds that can be built

- Make it more rewarding to retire battle-seasoned into keeps, to prevent using heroes as baby-makers only.

- Perhaps the hp / level / amount of cadence pawns could be relative to the average level of your heroes in the last generation(s)? So that it's always a bit of a challenge?

Sign in to follow this