Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guilty Fury

Inconsistent mechanics when moving and attacking

Once of the things that is bothering me while playing the game is the fact that i can move and attack and not attack and then move. I understand that they do not want to make it easy to kite but i also fell like its inconsistent and not very well spelled out. what if you got a bonus to your attack for attacking first and not moving such as a higher chance to his (ranged) higher chance to crit or maybe deal more damage (melee) i feel like you should not be "punished" for not moving then attacking.

Also the other thing that's rather frustrating is moving my hunter in to a spot that can see an opponent but not being able to hit it. when I move an alchemist I can tell when he will be in range to throw a flask but I can't tell if my ranger is in range or not. i also fell like your chance to hit should change depending on how close you are to your target (it might already do that I just haven't paid attention)

After a playthough, it looks like Hunter's accuracy is static but alchemists are variable.

I didn't feel limited by attacking ending your turn, but I can imagine how it might be frustrating to others.

For me, because I don't see any reason why I can't attack first then move, it becomes a little frustraighting. Again we are in beta, so I'd be expecting any sort of tutorial or early mandatory battle to explain the reasons behind the mechanics of the game. If it is the way it is, just because. That's a little insulting.

If the designers set it up that way because of some deeper game balance mechanics, well that's fine, however it needs to be explained to us because I feel like I'm out of the loop, & not understanding why I can't do certain things I feel that I should/could do is, ultimately I suppose. Bad game design.

My opinions are my own however, maybe others don't find it so baffling. Anyone else have a take on the no Moving after Attacking mechanic?

Maybe it is just my experience with a few tactical squad games, that aren't based on pure action points, that doesn't make Attacking and no Movement surprising. In any case, the explanation of all sorts of core stuff will continue to be beefed up likely.

Smiles

Yeah, that's been the standard for a long time. I can see why it would be a little odd if you're not used to turn based strategy games, but Attack-Move tips the scales pretty far in favor of ranged combatants, who already have a leg up most of the time.

If it's any consolation, the Hunter eventually gains a Shoot 'n' Scoot move that lets you move after a successful attack. You may find that a nice fit for your playstyle.

I think at this stage, allowing movement after firing would be TOO much of an upset to the balance of the game. It would immediately make things much easier (by giving more options about when to shoot and when to move) and more options generally means easier to recover from mistakes and just easier to deal damage at the start of the turn, then escape somewhere safe if your attack fails, etc.

It would completely change the flow of battles, so would be a really hard thing to balance at this stage. Also, while it means less choice, I think it means more interesting choices. I prefer the idea that when you choose to attack you're committed to that positioning (unless you have a special power you can use) because it makes you think about positioning more, rather than just being slapdash and thinking 'oh well, if this doesn't work out I can just scoot away and regroup.

Yeah, that's been the standard for a long time. I can see why it would be a little odd if you're not used to turn based strategy games, but Attack-Move tips the scales pretty far in favor of ranged combatants, who already have a leg up most of the time.

If it's any consolation, the Hunter eventually gains a Shoot 'n' Scoot move that lets you move after a successful attack. You may find that a nice fit for your playstyle.

Yeah I have a hunter who has that and it’s really nice. And I completely understand the reason why they have it the way it is but I would also like to be rewarded for positioning myself where i can shoot without having to move. When you do this you place yourself in a situation of vulnerability or you have predicted the movement of an opponent. I fell like you should be rewarded for it. Maybe give hunter and alchemists a free action call "aim" get a small boost to your hit chance or crit chance.

Sign in to follow this