Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SimonCle

Please die, mom

So, at the beginning of my current playthrough, I appointed my best Caberjack, Sarah Clemensen (she was level 2), to the first keep.

She was young, fertile, had good stats and experience. And for a while everything seemed good. She had a few children, all of which quickly grew up to be stronger and more experienced than her in almost every way.

This wasn't THAT much of a problem in the begning, but after some time Sarah got old, and completely stopped having children. She was also still level 2.

Now all of Sarah's (much more powerful) children were growing old, and Sarah simply refused to die (she outlived two husbands).

When Sarah finally died, her children were almost too old to have children themself (the children never had a single granchild before dying, I had to adopt one, despite thier mates being very fertile).

In the end the once powerful line, almost died out.

----

Since Brad were concerned with humanising the characters, I think it's kinda gross that the current mechanics can make me wish for a faithful character to just die already.

I think it would be cool to have some kind of retire-completely option (same gameplay result as death).

Put them in a home or something? It's better than whising for thier death, right?

Just wait, it gets weirder!

I'm at about year 260 now, which means I need to be very meticulous about who gets which relics in preparation for the grand finale in year 300. Otherwise, I risk having to choose between a young, healthy Caberjack with no weapon or an old fossil of one with a relic. Granted this is slightly easier than the regent situation - I'm keeping a spot or two open in the Sagewrights, since induction forces you to hand off relics. But yes, there are definitely situations where you really just want someone to go away for good.

I agree with the OP suggestion that a game mechanic that allows for disposing a regent from a keep would be helpful, yet I don't believe that it would be good for the game.

I had a similar experience where I wanted a character to die and waited 40-50 some years for her to do so. What caused me to want her death? She became infertile after an event and nearly killed off my keeps bloodline that I use for creating sagewights.

If it were possible to kill off or dispose of regents then I believe it would take away one of the challenges of the game. Once my regent became infertile I built another keep and recruited more heroes to start a new bloodline. Once she died I married her only child to a young hero and the bloodline continued.

Had there been a way to remove the regent then the whole strategy portion would change. So it would be nice to stage a coup d'etat, there would need to be some penalties for it.

The Crusader Kings series suffers from a bit of the same thing, and the Europa Universalis 4 mod that adds "rulers and traits" also introduces the same sort of thing to that other Paradox game. In CK2, you can't really dethrone yourself, but you can manipulate who your heir will be with assassinations (or other governance types depending on how you were playing) -- leading me to assassinate old sons so a younger son with better traits could take over. The "penalty" was most reputation hits, which affected how other lords or regents felt about me and any of my requests for them to join my wars.

In the EU4 mod, that adds rulers and traits, it also adds a coup mechanic to remove rulers, again I think mostly costing in-game currency I think, stability hit (another game mechanic based on the population's approval), and reputation hits possibly.

For MC, I am not sure I'd want a mechanic in the game to remove them, at least, for me to "be in charge" of that mechanic. I would not mind, however, if there was either a random chance, or based on the character's traits, that some regents might have increased likelihood to "step down" and open up the regent position -- either past a specific age, or at any time throughout their reign.

e.g. It would sort of be interesting to have a regent installed for say only 10 years be like "I can't do this, I resign" and return to the retinue -- a decent emergent story I think. I'd be okay with that sort of random design I think.

Smiles

For MC, I am not sure I'd want a mechanic in the game to remove them, at least, for me to "be in charge" of that mechanic. I would not mind, however, if there was either a random chance, or based on the character's traits, that some regents might have increased likelihood to "step down" and open up the regent position -- either past a specific age, or at any time throughout their reign.

e.g. It would sort of be interesting to have a regent installed for say only 10 years be like "I can't do this, I resign" and return to the retinue -- a decent emergent story I think. I'd be okay with that sort of random design I think.

Oh yeah, that sounds cool.

I can see removing the regent affecting game balance too much, but in some edge cases I think the current system really sucks.

Maybe allow to take them off the thorne when they reach a certain age?

I personally think there should be an assassination mechanic similar to "Crusader Kings II" where you can have a Regent/Spouse/Standard/Sagewright assassinated, but if you're caught doing it, the corruption in that particular region is increased by one step as the people lose faith in you.

I personally think there should be an assassination mechanic similar to "Crusader Kings II" where you can have a Regent/Spouse/Standard/Sagewright assassinated, but if you're caught doing it, the corruption in that particular region is increased by one step as the people lose faith in you.

Early on, the MC Team had investigated the idea of having 'feuds' and antagonism and other elements between heroes, but that got scoped out, plus, they preferred to see the game's theme as coming together to fight the Cadence, and they wanted to play up that element. If any mechanic gets in, it is likely to be some sort of resignation mechanic, if at all I suspect.

Smiles

Early on, the MC Team had investigated the idea of having 'feuds' and antagonism and other elements between heroes, but that got scoped out, plus, they preferred to see the game's theme as coming together to fight the Cadence, and they wanted to play up that element. If any mechanic gets in, it is likely to be some sort of resignation mechanic, if at all I suspect.

Weren't they also going to have the ability to retire regents so they could return to fighting (as long as you can replace them with an heir)? Whatever happened to that?

The game paints you as an immortal ruler who makes decisions on the scale of 3 centuries for the best of the kingdom to fight an ever present threat. I don't think removal of a regent, or even removal of a bloodline, from a keep should be a punishable offense. You are doing what is best for the survival of the country. They (the heroes) let you make every other decision without question, why should this one be any different?

At least allow a regent to become a sagewright or standard if not returning to the battlefield is important to the game.

Sign in to follow this