Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SimonCle

One MASSIVE, and a few minor, complaints

I loove the game so far! I'm terrible at it, but I'm actually really excited about it.

A funny thing happend on my first playthrough: I got really bored, really fast. I though the game seemed very grindy, and had way too many tactical battles, compared to what I though was the good part. (Also, my saves got corrupted).

After two hours I was certain I would never play the game again.

But - then I did anyway.

It tuned out that the game got better on my second playthrough. I not quite sure what happend, but as I already said: I love the game, and I feel like it only gets better the more I play it.

I do have few complaints, though:

MASSIVE complaint:

I hate hunting for the last Cadence on a map. One time, I spend 10 minutes looking around a map for 3 Seeds, that were hiding.

That is NOT fun.

Often it's not a problem, but those 1/5 times when it is, it really sucks.

Minor complaints:

- When I miss an enemy the camera takes control and pans to the enemy, which (most of the time), I'm already looking at. Feels disruptive and weird, especially, when the enemy is already on my current screen.

- Please die, mom (http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/15358/)

This one deserved it's own topic

- I feel like there could be a few more research options in the beginning. Maybe I'm just not good enough at utilizing the once I have, but I sometimes feel, like there's nothing on the list I REALLY want. Just going for a hero or a keep, because, "I might as well", doesn't feel that fun.

- The intro cinematic is confusing (love the actors, though). It looks kind bad to me when the chalice speaks.

- Do you ever see an "auto resolve battle" feature happening? As much as I love the battles now, sometimes I just don't feel like doing another one, and the strategy part is the best part to me.

That's what I can think of for now.

Keep up the awesome work :)

If this gets the beta-time it deserves, it could end up being one of my favorites.

MASSIVE complaint:

I hate hunting for the last Cadence on a map. One time, I spend 10 minutes looking around a map for 3 Seeds, that were hiding.

That is NOT fun.

Don't worry they're aware of this one and how much of a bummer it can be, they were talking about it on a stream the other day... They have a few thoughts of how to tackle it.

MASSIVE complaint:

That is NOT fun.

Don't worry they're aware of this one and how much of a bummer it can be, they were talking about it on a stream the other day... They have a few thoughts of how to tackle it.

Sweet! Thanks for telling me :)

No worries. Another good side effect would be that if you had a better idea of where to look for enemies, battles would be over faster, so if you're shaving 5-10 minutes off off the battle times, by the end of the game that could add up to 2-3.5 hours shaved off the play time. Since it took me around 18-20 hours to get to the end in my first play, I feel like it could definitely lose a couple of hours off that number and still feel totally lengthy and rewarding while still being replayable.

Phew. Glad to hear this. I never had this issue when I played X-Com. (Maybe if you haven't discovered them in a certain number of moves they hunt and attack you?)

Phew. Glad to hear this. I never had this issue when I played X-Com. (Maybe if you haven't discovered them in a certain number of moves they hunt and attack you?)

I sometimes had this same sort of issue in XCom, but mostly in the ufo crash site missions I think. I am not sure what they can do, but we'll see!

Smiles

You didn't have it in X-COM? That game is famous for the last-enemy-on-map problem. Or do you mean XCOM: Enemy Unknown (no hyphen)?

Actually calling it Enemy Unknown isn't any better. Because the original 1994 game had the title UFO: Enemy Unknown, was renamed to X-COM: UFO Defense in America only because there were issues with using "UFO" as its main title.

But this is all a side track and hasn't really got anything to do with the thread topic :)

finding the last bad guy is always a problem for these types of games, and especially with a game with similar map sizes to massive challice, i still had this problem with the new xcom even though the maps were smaller

Really? I thought the new XCOM had a feature where you could hear the direction of enemies in certain situations. I think it was generally if you couldn't see any enemies and hadn't stumbled upon them already (i.e., they weren't deliberately hiding from you).

I agree that hunting for enemies in Massive Chalice is a pain, especially when coupled with the huge numbers of enemies you see at later stages. It makes battles a real drag. I sort of learned to comb the map from end to end meticulously as I went along, but still...

Really? I thought the new XCOM had a feature where you could hear the direction of enemies in certain situations. I think it was generally if you couldn't see any enemies and hadn't stumbled upon them already (i.e., they weren't deliberately hiding from you).

I agree that hunting for enemies in Massive Chalice is a pain, especially when coupled with the huge numbers of enemies you see at later stages. It makes battles a real drag. I sort of learned to comb the map from end to end meticulously as I went along, but still...

Yeah, you remember correctly. At certain points in "XCOM: Enemy Unknown", you see sound waves that tell you the general direction of enemies hidden in the fog of war. Also, undiscovered enemies switch to different spawn points if they remain undiscovered for a certain number of moves, both to discourage save-scumming and to sometimes make it easier to find as-of-yet undiscovered enemies.

I don't know if "Massive Chalice" needs the whole "rotating spawn points" mechanic since it sounds like a pain to program (and it could be very glitchy in "XCOM"), but the sound wave mechanic would certainly be very helpful.

I think that if the Cadence were more aggressive in seeking out the heroes, that might help solve the problem too.

Sign in to follow this