Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
liorean

Spacebase DF-9 Release

I'm a brainy person, therefore my natural inclination is to like brainy games

You may find Hack 'n' Slash interesting then. It doesn't really belong to the 'hack and slash' genre and is much more of a puzzle/programming oriented game.

You may find Hack 'n' Slash interesting then. It doesn't really belong to the 'hack and slash' genre and is much more of a puzzle/programming oriented game.

Too bad you're an admin and have to answer diplomatically instead of pointing out that guy with the big brain is incapable of even looking into what sort of game he's talking about or thinks he's outgrown childish things yet refers to things he doesn't like as retarded.

Too bad you're an admin and have to answer diplomatically instead of pointing out that guy with the big brain is incapable of even looking into what sort of game he's talking about or thinks he's outgrown childish things yet refers to things he doesn't like as retarded.

Please don't insult people. Keep in mind the forum's Guide to Decency and treat everyone with respect. Thanks.

Like all of the games I've played of this type, I think I probably enjoy it more in theory than in practice (I just don't play many freeform-ish building sims, these days) but what I've played so far is solid, I'll definitely be putting some more hours into it to see if I can get my base up and running how I like.

Please don't insult people. Keep in mind the forum's Guide to Decency and treat everyone with respect. Thanks.
On that note, 'retarded' is a pretty ugly word to be using as an insult in this context in the first place. I don't think louiedog's response to that was out of line.

I wish this forum had a rep system because you would have all the reps I could give.

Seriously. What the hell. Seriously.

Brainy.......

On that note, 'retarded' is a pretty ugly word to be using as an insult in this context in the first place. I don't think louiedog's response to that was out of line.

Thanks. I didn't mean to insult the guy, just point out his insulting behavior in looking down on that game and by extension the people who enjoy the genre and in his use of the word as an insult. I'm surprised a moderator got on me for that but didn't seem to have any problem with his use of that word. At least I would hope a moderator would understand why that's a problem.

The level of maturity on this thread is disintegrating rapidly. C'mon guys, give it a rest.

Strangely enough, my level of amusement is going up.

Figures.

Aw, man. Dude was mean to me.

As a bonus for the customers who have supported us thus far, anyone who already owns the game gets a free copy of Hack ‘n’ Slash

I just dropped by to say thanks for this - I was definitely feeling a little burned by DF-9, and I very much appreciate DF doing what they can to make it right.

Of note:

"The 1.0 release also sees the game’s price drop to the science-fictionally appropriate price of $20.01 US. In addition we’re introducing a new bundle of our two community-voted Amnesia Fortnight turned Indie Funded projects, Spacebase and Hack ‘n’ Slash, for $24.99. As a bonus for the customers who have supported us thus far, anyone who already owns the game gets a free copy of Hack ‘n’ Slash[hacknslashthegame.com], and anyone who owns Hack ‘n’ Slash gets a free copy of Spacebase. "

OH SNAP! Free game! Whoo!

Bonus: Hack 'n' Slash is amazing.

it didnt show u p in my steam library, what gives -_-

As the previous post says, it seems to be taking some time for people to receive their Hack 'n' Slash copies. Sit tight for a few days and then get in touch with support if it doesn't make an appearance.

Hilarious. As someone who bought in early to Spacebase, and as an owner of Hack and slash I get...

Giftable copies of both.

To do -what- exactly?

Give them away? Trade them? Nobody's trading Spacebase. I might get something for hack and slash. MAYBE. But that's not exactly the kind of gift I was expecting, not to sound ungrateful but as one of the few people who owns both, that's a bit "meh" for me :/

I've already contacted Steam, not touching either gift copy, now the title is out past early access I might have the slim chance I can fall back on the consumer protection act. I'm within it's time limits so I'm going to give that a go first and foremost.

I understand you feel cheated by the whole circus, and that's ok (i did too), but seriously Hobbes, how self-entitled can you be? Granted, i don't know where you're from, but if you get a dime or equivalent from a consumer protection act after receiving two free games i'll buy a hat and eat it.

"Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

The title has been removed from the account and a credit has been applied to your Steam Wallet. The credit can be used for future Steam purchases.

Your current Steam Wallet balance is displayed in the top right hand corner of the Steam client window next to "[Your username]'s Account"."

I have the email to hand, in case you need proof, and screenshots of my support account as well.

I look forward to you buying a hat, and eating it.

-SMUG-

-Tigerdance-

Nice, Hobbes! Valve is really a great company, all things considered.

It still amazes me how well-run it is after all these years. All this success from a company that started with just a single successful game...

I'm really interested in Hack n Slash, as I'm not even a little bit brainy! Nice show of good faith, although a little more apologizing would go a long way too.

Nice, Hobbes! Valve is really a great company, all things considered.

It still amazes me how well-run it is after all these years. All this success from a company that started with just a single successful game...

I'm really interested in Hack n Slash, as I'm not even a little bit brainy! Nice show of good faith, although a little more apologizing would go a long way too.

I still worship the lord Gaben. He has not led me astray yet, and whilst the usability update has been something of a chaotic mess, lo, they are still a company who when spoken to with the right words, are still able to do the right thing.

So yes, I can safely put this mess behind me. I've already sunk half the money into the binding of isaac rebirth, which I've had my eye on for some time, and I've twelve bucks left over to spend on something else.

The REALLY hilarious part is as an owner of Hack and Slash, I still have a giftable copy of Spacebase in my inventory. I shall see if I can find someone who might want to mod it.

"Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

The title has been removed from the account and a credit has been applied to your Steam Wallet. The credit can be used for future Steam purchases.

Your current Steam Wallet balance is displayed in the top right hand corner of the Steam client window next to "[Your username]'s Account"."

I have the email to hand, in case you need proof, and screenshots of my support account as well.

I look forward to you buying a hat, and eating it.

-SMUG-

-Tigerdance-

It's okay that you aren't ashamed of yourself. I'm ashamed of you enough for the both of us.

It's okay that you aren't ashamed of yourself. I'm ashamed of you enough for the both of us.

On the contrary, right now I'm radiating smugness, plus I get to see someone eat a hat. This is a good day for me. Binding of Isaac Rebirth, Dungeon of the Endless went 1.0 and -successfully- nailed all it's features and is glorious. And I've still some money left over, and I don't have to worry about what to do about SpaceBase, it's not in my library anymore.

On the contrary, right now I'm radiating smugness, plus I get to see someone eat a hat. This is a good day for me. Binding of Isaac Rebirth, Dungeon of the Endless went 1.0 and -successfully- nailed all it's features and is glorious. And I've still some money left over, and I don't have to worry about what to do about SpaceBase, it's not in my library anymore.

Haha well, i'll be...! You have every right to feel smug Hobbes. Guess i didn't think the post through... Sorry about that.

Attached as an image is the prepared meal, as promised... Damn shame though, it was a really nice hat.

IMG_4299.jpg

IMG_4299.jpg.af9865cf223bb604e526bcbfda9

Looks woolly. You may want to add some pepper sauce and a good red wine to go with it. Speaking as a hat eating connoisseur. For me, this marks a sense of closure, sure, I've a giftable copy of the thing as a result of owning hack and slash, but I'm sure a budding modder might well be willing to take it off my hands if they fancy playing around with the LUA. For me though, it means I can relax, now I can just spectate and offer colour commentary as I feel inclined. I'm sure Oanst's jimmies have been rustled over the fact someone managed to extract some justice from this whole mess but whatever, for me it's allowed me to take on a much more zen-like state of detatchment.

Addenda:

As to -how- I did it, there's no real trick. I live in the UK, and the Sale of Goods Act has specific provisions that cover the sale of digital products, specifically, "as is" disclaimers do not apply to 'completed' products. So the moment the game exited early access, it lost the protections afforded by being regarded as beta software, as a direct result the product has to function as described, has to be of a merchantable standard, and has to be free of material defect.

As it is no longer Early Access it can no longer be sold "as is", so it must fulfil these requirements, as long as the purchase was made within two years, you're within the time limits of the Act and as long as you're careful how you word the request, you can get a refund to your steam wallet.

I did make a point of emphasising that I disclaimed liability on Valve's part and as a gesture of good faith I would accept funds to my steam wallet, which does go a long way to smoothing the waters, it's always a sensible plan to be conciliatory to the retailer when you're dealing with these kinds of things. Two days later, I get contact, and they immediately agreed the request without requiring further discussion or clarification.

As much as people like to say "You'll never get a refund", the reality is never so simple, local laws -always- supersede EULA's and subscriber agreements, and if you're well versed in how the local laws intersect with such things, you usually have a reasonable chance of being able to negotiate a reasonable agreement.

Looks woolly. You may want to add some pepper sauce and a good red wine to go with it. Speaking as a hat eating connoisseur. For me, this marks a sense of closure, sure, I've a giftable copy of the thing as a result of owning hack and slash, but I'm sure a budding modder might well be willing to take it off my hands if they fancy playing around with the LUA. For me though, it means I can relax, now I can just spectate and offer colour commentary as I feel inclined. I'm sure Oanst's jimmies have been rustled over the fact someone managed to extract some justice from this whole mess but whatever, for me it's allowed me to take on a much more zen-like state of detatchment.

Addenda:

As to -how- I did it, there's no real trick. I live in the UK, and the Sale of Goods Act has specific provisions that cover the sale of digital products, specifically, "as is" disclaimers do not apply to 'completed' products. So the moment the game exited early access, it lost the protections afforded by being regarded as beta software, as a direct result the product has to function as described, has to be of a merchantable standard, and has to be free of material defect.

As it is no longer Early Access it can no longer be sold "as is", so it must fulfil these requirements, as long as the purchase was made within two years, you're within the time limits of the Act and as long as you're careful how you word the request, you can get a refund to your steam wallet.

I did make a point of emphasising that I disclaimed liability on Valve's part and as a gesture of good faith I would accept funds to my steam wallet, which does go a long way to smoothing the waters, it's always a sensible plan to be conciliatory to the retailer when you're dealing with these kinds of things. Two days later, I get contact, and they immediately agreed the request without requiring further discussion or clarification.

As much as people like to say "You'll never get a refund", the reality is never so simple, local laws -always- supersede EULA's and subscriber agreements, and if you're well versed in how the local laws intersect with such things, you usually have a reasonable chance of being able to negotiate a reasonable agreement.

You have a keen eye, it's 100% wool. Unfortunately the store's closed so i had to make do with a weird drink made from rose hip.

Well Hobbes, you learn something new everyday. I'll have to remember that.

That's all very well, I just think that you lied, Hobbes, when you claimed that the product did not "function as described," "be of a merchantable standard, " "be free of material defect."

I don't think any of those three criteria obtain here, and if anyone was willing to press the point, that could easily be established in a court of law. So, good for you, I guess. You said some legally words and got Valve to capitulate. The fact that you got your wallet funds doesn't mean that ANY of those facts have been established, it just means that nobody concerned could be bothered to challenge you.

Enjoy your free money, I guess.

The act specifies that the product has to be those things, if it fails on those counts, any of them, you have a potential claim. I persued the approach that I felt the product was not up to a merchantable standard. Valve did not see any point in contesting that, bear in mind Valve tend to reject most of the refund claims they get presented with. If it went to small claims? Yes, I could very easily establish it is not up to a merchantable standard. Feel free to believe what you like, but I could quite easily see this through as far as small claims court in the UK and see redress there. Valve made the decision it's better business to keep one of their customers -happy- and buying from their store rather than go the route of "No refunds so there".

Like I said, for me this is closure. Now I can sit back and view this whole mess from a distance, I feel sorry for a lot of other people who won't be able to get the same redress or closure that I did, but at least now I can examine this "from the outside".

Valve made the decision it's better business to keep one of their customers -happy- and buying from their store rather than go the route of "No refunds so there"..

1- yes, yes I understand the Act, I am also from the UK and am reasonably conversant with this area of the law.

2- on the above quoted point and that alone, we agree. As for the rest, well we'll never know really will we but I think that it's ludicrous to claim the product is not of a merchantable standard. It's an utter abuse of the Act to claim something along those lines in this case.

Valve made the decision it's better business to keep one of their customers -happy- and buying from their store rather than go the route of "No refunds so there"..

1- yes, yes I understand the Act, I am also from the UK and am reasonably conversant with this area of the law.

2- on the above quoted point and that alone, we agree. As for the rest, well we'll never know really will we but I think that it's ludicrous to claim the product is not of a merchantable standard. It's an utter abuse of the Act to claim something along those lines in this case.

Well in this case, what you think is irrelevant. What Valve thinks is the only thing that really matters, they took a look at it, decided on balance it was better to keep a customer happy and not risk someone going to small claims for the sake of a trivial matter in their eyes, and refunded the sum. Job done. You can claim abuse as much as you like but ultimately the majority would beg to differ, there's a lot of people who would, like me, demand their money back, but by dint of being in a less consumer friendly country, are unable to do so. I know it's not the outcome you'd desire but not everyone gets what they want do they ;)

Of note:

"The 1.0 release also sees the game’s price drop to the science-fictionally appropriate price of $20.01 US. In addition we’re introducing a new bundle of our two community-voted Amnesia Fortnight turned Indie Funded projects, Spacebase and Hack ‘n’ Slash, for $24.99. As a bonus for the customers who have supported us thus far, anyone who already owns the game gets a free copy of Hack ‘n’ Slash[hacknslashthegame.com], and anyone who owns Hack ‘n’ Slash gets a free copy of Spacebase. "

Cool looking forward to trying hack n slash

Sign in to follow this