Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheeseness

Modders Welcome

Hey people!

I know there are a few people who're interested in poking around with the Lua sources (found in Data/Scripts/). I'd be interested in getting people together to discuss ideas and coordinate efforts where it feels right.

There are a couple of earlier threads speculating about what modding efforts might bring, and there's the old dev wishlist to draw inspiration from as well.

It'd be neat to bounce some ideas and thoughts around, and then maybe come together in a week or two to have a meeting in IRC (text chat - we can use the #DFAdventure channel on foonetic which we use for Game Club to start with), share our initial experiments and see where things go.

Cheese

Edit:

I feel that there are two roles that feel like a good fit those of us who’re interested in working together/bolstering the community:

Supporting Community Development

* Document the game’s architecture (the structure of the codebase)

* Put together workflows for asset editing (extracting images from/compiling to .tex files, etc.)

* Writing example mods/tutorials

* Drawing attention to mods from other community members

Developing Spacebase

* Fix bugs (hopefully there won’t be too many of these by the time DF’s maintenance period comes to a close)

* Improve existing gameplay mechanics

* Address/implement things from the roadmap

* Strive for cohesive and challenging long form systems oriented gameplay (which might mean changing stuff on the roadmap or changing the behaviour of existing features if it helps Spacebase be Spacebase)

What does everybody else think?

I'm totally not a game developer by any stretch of the imagination, but I would like to observe any progress and maybe test. I haven't played DF-9 at all yet, and I'm looking forward to it.

I'm not a modder really. This might be a good way to start, but I don't know I'll have time to figure it out. I've used lua before in bits and pieces, we use it in a couple of our games.

Either way, I'll try to keep up wth the modding going on and I'm generally a good person for troubleshooting design issues.

I have no experience with Lua or game development in general, but I do have a lot of experience with scripting so I'm willing to give it a shot. Getting together to decide on a starting point sounds like a great idea.

I'm definitely up for this. I haven't yet looked at the code yet, but it definitely should be fun to see what we all can do. :)

I'm really bad with free time right now but later on I'd be willing to help out. I'm not a game developer but I always wanted to learn a little Lua; I already know Python, JavaScript and some other languages very well so I could probably get into it relatively quickly (hopefully). Hope the ball gets rolling!

I've been really looking forward to seeing the source code and modding options. I've never used Lua before but I'd totally be down to help DF9 grow to be the game the devs wanted.

Has DF said how modding is supposed to work with Spacebase? Without an official mod manager of some sort, I wonder how well LUA editing is going to work. Any time we make a change to the LUA files, we'll have to A) be mindful of other people making changes and B) worry about an official patch. Any update that comes out on Steam is going to revert any changes we make to LUA files. Not to mention, distribution of code changes will be a bit complicated without Steam's workshop.

That said, I've got changes already in my files to add settings options for meteors, breaches and hints (to disable them), a turret fix, and a weight bench fix. They all work really well, but I'm not sure how to give them to people other than a zip file. I'm afraid I've never modded a game.

Has DF said how modding is supposed to work with Spacebase? Without an official mod manager of some sort, I wonder how well LUA editing is going to work. Any time we make a change to the LUA files, we'll have to A) be mindful of other people making changes and B) worry about an official patch. Any update that comes out on Steam is going to revert any changes we make to LUA files. Not to mention, distribution of code changes will be a bit complicated without Steam's workshop.

That said, I've got changes already in my files to add settings options for meteors, breaches and hints (to disable them), a turret fix, and a weight bench fix. They all work really well, but I'm not sure how to give them to people other than a zip file. I'm afraid I've never modded a game.

It's the steam update service that's going to be the real issue. If you modify the files unbidden, the update service will automatically retrieve the baseline files upon detecting file differences (if a validation check is performed), and if an official patch is released, that forces a validation check on all files right away. The experience I've had when dealing with helping friends with Vampire : Bloodlines and the patches that work around that is you have to disable updates wholesale, and then update only when steam mandates it (and it will, official patches effectively require a download and will prevent the game from running if it's not up to date).

Getting Steam Workshop would be the optimal solve as that would allow it to manage the changed files seamlessly but without that you're going to be very limited, third party sites and hackity fixes to direct files, and of course if there's multiple changes to the same file we're getting into the realms of mod edits using notepad. This becomes very "not trivial" to apply if you're looking at more than a few simple changes, which is why Workshop support from the user end would be very welcome.

It sounds like Workshop isn't likely to happen at this point.

Depending on how things pan out, we may be able to come up with some solutions that make things fairly painless that sidesteps issues caused by Steam's updating/file validation stuff.

It sounds like Workshop isn't likely to happen at this point.

That's what I was afraid of. Do you know if official patches are still going to come out to fix bugs, or will that cease as well? Things sounded pretty final, but then we saw the 1.01 patch, so work is still going on even if it's limited. My fear is as said above, these patches are going to overwrite any changes we make. I've got backups, but it'll get annoying really fast.

Honestly, I'm enjoying the game with the few tweaks I've done, and poking around the LUA files is like a whole different game. :) I still have hope for the game.

There are plans to continue fixing bugs as mentioned in the Road To 1.0 announcement, though I'm not certain how focused bugfixing is going to happen for (I think I saw mention of a month or two, but I might be remembering wrong).

Your best hope is to have some kind of xmod patcher (such as how phpbb handles mods through a web interface), but hand edits are going to render this exceptionally non-trivial. That said, a web interface is going to be non trivial in it's own right, or a VB interface if you're looking at a programmed interface that handles the edits that way around.

It will probably be coordinated through Github (such as what happened with the Bad Golf Community Edition), so everything can be brought together in one place. Then once we reach a milestone (by following things brought up on the issue tracker), everything is bundled and released to the public to play. That would be the best way to coordinate development in my opinion.

It will probably be coordinated through Github (such as what happened with the Bad Golf Community Edition), so everything can be brought together in one place. Then once we reach a milestone (by following things brought up on the issue tracker), everything is bundled and released to the public to play. That would be the best way to coordinate development in my opinion.

That works to a point, but how would you co-ordinate if people only want specific mods, are you going to have branch variants? Or just one unified bugfix, will you have some kind of ingame modded options menu?

There are definitely plenty of options to consider. The Wolfire community's mod manager/launcher is possibly another good source of inspiration for the kind of experience that we could aim to give mod users.

Ultimately, I'd like to see us aim for a point where coordination is possible for larger stuff, but still allowing/supporting the existence of mods that won't necessarily work together. A modular rather than monolithic approach seems most appropriate.

Hi there, I bought the game specifically to mod it as a learning experience. I'm and indie dev (I have a GameJolt account, that counts right?) and made a few terrible game jam entires, and have experience in C#. But right now I'm busy helping a robot terrorize the DF offices

Hi there, I bought the game specifically to mod it as a learning experience. I'm and indie dev (I have a GameJolt account, that counts right?) and made a few terrible game jam entires, and have experience in C#. But right now I'm busy helping a robot terrorize the DF offices

Damnit. You should have posted here first. I've a giftable copy in my inventory and I'm looking for someone -specifically- who's intending to get to modding it to hand it to. If you know someone of a like mind, send them my way, there's a copy of SpaceBase in it for them.

Would DoubleFine be willing to add a "Spacebase DF-9 Mods" forum for those of us interested in this?

It would give people who are interested in both doing and using mods a specific area to go to in order to find them easily, without flooding the general discussions new players would come to in order to find help or discuss vanilla game related issues.

I think it would show really good spirit on their part and support of the modding community if they were willing to at least 'host' the thread part even if we need to use an outside file server for the mods and image posts. Though this is just my opinion on this. They have done a wonderful job on this in my opinion so far as well.

I'd like to use it as a learning experience for both casual modding and programing, though I'm more of a story writer now than the programer I use to be. As for the purchasing part, I've been here from the beginning before it was even put in our hands. Now I'd love to be part of the community to make it live on as a testament to the original concept and makers.

I'd like to use it as a learning experience for both casual modding and programing, though I'm more of a story writer now than the programer I use to be. As for the purchasing part, I've been here from the beginning before it was even put in our hands. Now I'd love to be part of the community to make it live on as a testament to the original concept and makers.

Steam name please. Or contact my steam account. There's a copy of Spacebase in it for you if you do. You seem genuine and you've been around the forums long enough that I feel you're on the level, so I think it'd be put to good use.

Would DoubleFine be willing to add a "Spacebase DF-9 Mods" forum for those of us interested in this?

This is something I'm planning to try to organise for us :)

goodnews.jpg

Good news everyone!

I finally had a few minutes to try out modding objects in the retail version of the game. Short version: it works. kinda! There are a couple of script changes that need to be in place to support custom images. We'll probably include it in a patch, otherwise modders can include the change in their own mods.. Only a couple lines.

of2HbGf.png

Look! Custom object! In the Steam version! Not dev mode!

Anywho, I'm going to write up the process pretty soon - its not a big deal, but its a little weird! Hopefully I'll get some time to upload some source .blend files and photoshop .psds so you can have a look at how I made all the objects in the game.

I'm doing this stuff in my spare time, so give me a little bit to get some stuff together - but I really want to do what I can to help out when I have time.

Good news everyone!

I finally had a few minutes to try out modding objects in the retail version of the game. Short version: it works. kinda! There are a couple of script changes that need to be in place to support custom images. We'll probably include it in a patch, otherwise modders can include the change in their own mods.. Only a couple lines.

Look! Custom object! In the Steam version! Not dev mode!

Anywho, I'm going to write up the process pretty soon - its not a big deal, but its a little weird! Hopefully I'll get some time to upload some source .blend files and photoshop .psds so you can have a look at how I made all the objects in the game.

I'm doing this stuff in my spare time, so give me a little bit to get some stuff together - but I really want to do what I can to help out when I have time.

Awesome. Ever since misterAxp found the disaster menu, I wanted to add Mog Chothra attack to that list. And soon it will be possible. :)

Alrighty, so as things are starting to come together, I'd like to try to get a bunch of people in one place to chat about and brainstorm and bounce some ideas around on how any coordinated modding efforts might take shape.

It might be neat to aim to catch up an hour or two before Game Club in the #DFAdventure IRC channel (there's a webchat widget on this page). How would 7:30PM UTC on Saturday sit with people?

Now if MORE developers had this kind of attitude with modding their games... it would be a whole new world of modding out there! :D

In the real world however, AWESOME work and can't wait to see these changes. Any chance at working in a 'MODS' folder for future mods to be integrated into the retail easier? (Or did I miss this already done some place....)

Alrighty, so as things are starting to come together, I'd like to try to get a bunch of people in one place to chat about and brainstorm and bounce some ideas around on how any coordinated modding efforts might take shape.

It might be neat to aim to catch up an hour or two before Game Club in the #DFAdventure IRC channel (there's a webchat widget on this page). How would 7:30PM UTC on Saturday sit with people?

Sadly, I'll not be able to make that this Saturday but if it works for everyone else, cool beans! :D I have a meeting at the American Legion post about an hour before that and won't be able to make it home in time.

Edit: 11:30am here in PST.

Sign in to follow this