Sign in to follow this  
Questionmarkman

We Want Your Random Event Ideas!

I don't have a lot of story to this but it would be cool if there was an event that was about a feud between two families. Each family could give their side for a couple minutes of reading and then at the end you have to chose what to do which would be based on what you just read. If you pick the proper response, proving that you read the feud, both families stop fighting and gain the Trust personality which gives them a bonus to attack when near team mates. Otherwise they get Disloyal which debuffs their damage.

The Chalice at some point makes a comment that discontent in the land strengthens the Cadence, but this idea doesn't seem to be used. Random events could speed or delay Cadence attacks depending on the outcome. The player doesn't know when the next attack will be, a message like "Readiness of Cadence forces increased" or "Cadence forces delayed" would get the general point across.

For example, there could be a famine. You have the choice to hoard food for the heroes or give it freely to the people. If you hoard food, popular discontent makes the next Cadence attack sooner. If you distribute the food, a random hero could die of starvation. You could have another option like "Tighten rations" that could give the Puny attribute to some of the children.

Currently, the kingdom feels empty. Allowing the player to delay Cadence attacks by keeping the people happy or risk attacks by upsetting them may make it feel like a kingdom of people.

This was already mentioned in another post, but I would like some events to act as a penalties for having high populations. A famine event that kills 4-5 heroes if you have a population over 20, for example, or feuds between two houses that end in tragedy if a house or both houses have more than 10 living members (numbers could be adjusted, of course) The foud event could also add a "Feuding" state to all heroes of both houses, that would prevent marrying between them. A plague that kills some of your trainees is also a brutal, brutal possibility (adds "depression" status on affected reagents)

Most of these ideas have already been presented or even implemented, but adding these brutal possible outcomes would also serve to balance the game's runaway birthrates, and works brilliantly with the current random character selection. Besides, if the population was low, the same negative action could cause positive outcomes instead (for example, patriotic for successfully managing rations through a famine)

Also, here's one I made up on the spot:

Mine Collapse!

There has been a mine collapsed in area x. Several miners may have been trapped underground. What do you do?

1. Nothing can be done! Send your condolences to the families of the miners. The result options: Corruption increases and cadence pors out of the mine or nothing.

2. Send your hero to oversee the rescue operation using physical strentg and digging them out. If successful, your hero gains XP or a positive personality trai, if not, he is blamed and becomes depressed.

3.Put your sagewrights to work developing a lift to get the miners out from there. If successful, the whole kingdom rejoices, granting patriotic to some heroes, and if not, corruption increases and current research speed down 25%

Crank It Up To 11! - One of your heroes with a relic has their relic modified by a blacksmith, tinkerer or something and allows it to level up to 11 if the right option is chosen. Failure results in it losing one or two levels.

Sagewright's Rite - A random sagewright decides that he needs to go on a spiritual journey and leaves your retinue for several years. If successful he comes back with higher intuition. If unsuccessful he could come back wounded or die.

Duel - One of your Regents insults another regent and in a rage, they challenge one another to a duel. Either A) Combat ensues or perhaps you can cheat in order to favor one side and the result is a dead regent, OR B) Using diplomacy, you settle the feud and the messenger's house gets the family bonds trait for both houses in question.

Brainstorming is hard. I'll try coming up with more later.

Duel - One of your Regents insults another regent and in a rage, they challenge one another to a duel. Either A) Combat ensues or perhaps you can cheat in order to favor one side and the result is a dead regent, OR B) Using diplomacy, you settle the feud and the messenger's house gets the family bonds trait for both houses in question.

Brainstorming is hard. I'll try coming up with more later.

Neat idea! Duels were not always to the death. So one thing is you make it a very serious sounding offense, and the options could be,

Honor demands a duel to first blood. Either Regent may gain trait, "Majesty" giving you a research bonus as if they were a Sage.

Honor demands a duel to the death. The surviving Regent gains a new trait.

Try to find another way - results: Either Regents go to Prison. The Offending Regent Steps Down. The Challenging Regent is sent away to a monastery and may come back with tranquil. The Challenging Regent Steps Down and leaves your service out of disgust.

Family Hunt Requires a family with at least 4 children to trigger. The regent approaches and request permission to take the family on a hunt for a rare Cadence (a large, super charged version of a Cadence). If you accept, it sends you to the battlefield. You have a limited number of turns before this Cadence type escapes. Defeating it earns a bonus trait for the house (Outdoorsy - bonus to Intuition and ability to detect enemies in the area) as well as a massive XP boost. Failure raises Cadence levels.

Hatfields A blood feud starts between two Houses. You can attempt to repair a number of ways, but failure will have serious consequences. A major consequence is the Blood Feud trait permanently attached to both houses. They will not be allowed to marry for several generations. If you send them into battle together, they receive penalties to all traits when within 5 moves of each other, but receive bonuses when they witness the other die.

Red Wedding Requires families with the Blood Feud trait. If you wait three generations and marry these families together, there is a chance that the union will repair all bad blood. But, if fate decides, you will hear of a Red Wedding. Every direct blood relative is killed off for one side.

The Ancient Master One of your heroes' families tells the story of an Ancient Master living high in the mountains. They wish to bring him to the Crucible to aid in training new heroes. The quest is perilous and can only be managed by a Level 6 or higher. Quest takes 10 years and has a chance to reward an NPC Hero at level 11 (that's right, 11). This hero cannot be used in battle and will immediately assume duties at the Crucible, but provides game changing stat boost if passed on. He will live another 100 years before finally passing. When he dies, he "Disappears into the mists of a nearby lake, never to be seen again."

Unfaithful: you notice one of your stewards has been sneaking around the keep at odd hours, upon further investigation you discover he is meeting with (whatever hero of the opposite sex). Do you:

1. Do nothing, it's none of your concern.

2. Encourage the secrete romance, after all the more babies the better!

3. Speak firmly with the regent and remind him of his duties to the kingdom.

Resolutions:

1a the affair fizzles out with no harm done

1b partner finds out and attacks the third party resulting in the loss of one or the other

1c steward divorces partner and replaces them with third party

2a steward begins having children with third party as well as with partner (third party's children either have a random family name or no standard, just a black flag denoting their Bastard status)

2b same as 1b

2c steward runs off with the secret lover and you lose both heroes

3a regent is humbled by your words and devotes himself fully to his partner giving him then both the bountiful trait

3b regent becomes convinced he is nothing but a stud to be bred by you and gains the depressed trait

3c regent renounces his claim and demands to be set free from your tyrannical rule (you lose regent)

There was one random event I came across where one of the Recruits says that a piece of the Chalice has been passed through their family, but their elderly aunt is very protective of it. You can recruit the aunt, though she's pretty low level, but she's significantly older due to her exposure to the Chalice. When I saw that the aunt was 97 years old, I thought that the implication was that the Chalice had made her immortal and that I now had an immortal Recruit to use for the rest of the game. This seemed really cool. However, I was disappointed to discover that a few years later, she died of old age.

I just think that was a slightly wasted opportunity to have a ridiculously old codger facing the Cadence at the ripe old age of 265.

Oh wow, I had that event and I recruited her because I was intrigued. I had no idea I actually got her as a unit. heh, that's funny.

This leads me to my suggestion: there needs to be better communication of the results of the events. Not only the results, but also clear indication of the possible consequences when you are about to make the choice (maybe not, being deliberately difficult is OK in my book).

I think this is similar to some other random events, but maybe there is a germ of an idea in something like a Vision Quest / To Prove Themselves / Rite of Passage. e.g. Learn that a young or in prime hero went off to prove themselves in wild as, and thus the hero is removed from the active retinue roster, plus some other consequences.

Smiles

Man, I still haven't been able to see what happens when someone completes The Lash.

But anyway, here's one at the top of my head:

Since the last battle, one of your active heroes has been having vivid nightmares every night. In his dreams, your hero has been speaking with the Cadence and they have been calling out to him to embrace the corruption. Your hero has had very little sleep since then and feels he is slowly being driven mad by the nightmares. He seeks your counsel on what to do next.

- Have the Sagewrights study him and his dreams for clues to help the cause against the Cadence. Remove from retinue for 10 years.

- Learn more about the Cadence from his dreams. Add to Cadence corpses. He returns with some mental instability.

- His nightmares drive him mad and kills one of your Sagewrights before being killed himself.

- The Sagewrights help him recover from his nightmares and he returns with a bonus to intuition.

A tweak to your last one, if there's an available Sagewright slot. - The somber environment of the Sagewrights quiets the nightmares, he decides to stay with the Sagewrights. ?

The Chalice at some point makes a comment that discontent in the land strengthens the Cadence, but this idea doesn't seem to be used. Random events could speed or delay Cadence attacks depending on the outcome. The player doesn't know when the next attack will be, a message like "Readiness of Cadence forces increased" or "Cadence forces delayed" would get the general point across.

For example, there could be a famine. You have the choice to hoard food for the heroes or give it freely to the people. If you hoard food, popular discontent makes the next Cadence attack sooner. If you distribute the food, a random hero could die of starvation. You could have another option like "Tighten rations" that could give the Puny attribute to some of the children.

Currently, the kingdom feels empty. Allowing the player to delay Cadence attacks by keeping the people happy or risk attacks by upsetting them may make it feel like a kingdom of people.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssss

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssss

Well, to be fair, the quote about "discontent spreading cadence" is used to justify corruption gains and losses from events. They're just not used much beyond that at the moment.

I really like that events can wind up giving Heroes traits, those always feel the most meaningful.

Are there any that can make them lose certain personality traits? Your hero has some sort of meaningful personal journey and overcomes their nervousness, or something like that. If there aren't yet, those would be my suggestions.

I'd also like to see the possibility of very RARE or UNIQUE traits from such an event, something you simply will not see on any heroes normally, something that makes them truly stand out... and that will not (usually) be inherited by any of their descendants?

How about an event that Age-locks a hero, so they never grow older or die... but as a consequence, they're permanently stuck at their current level of XP?

How about a "fountain of youth" event, where the hero gains a reverse-aging trait, with the predictable long-term consequence? (and potentially very silly situations like a 5-year-old standard... probably have to look ahead for bugs created when they die from hitting age 0 instead of old age)

How about an event where some mystical force completely petrifies a hero into a stone statue (or some alleged NPC relative of a hero) and the options for dealing with it are:

1. Turn the petrified hero into a grim monument to remind the public what threats the kingdom faces.

2. Have the sagewrights study them for a cure (if it's a hero that is petrified, perhaps this option returns them to duty but delays current research projects?)

3. A related caberjack gains a unique relic weapon... ... consisting of their petrified kin with a handle attached. To honor their will and continue the fight against the cadence.

(unless you can think of a better excuse to allow a caberjack's weapon to be replaced with an entire person, for the novelty)

I hate to be negative in here, but I've been finding that the event "A Standard Baby" is just not working for me, to the point that I've been savescummingg past it out of frustration. Some of that is the mechanical effect - potentially losing or screwing up a Standard (one of the most valuable units you have) - but it's also frustrating that the writing presents it as a huge deal, where my normal response to the situation is "ok you had a baby, I'm fine with that," which is not at all reflected in the options. Any chance we can take this back to the drawing board?

I hate to be negative in here, but I've been finding that the event "A Standard Baby" is just not working for me, to the point that I've been savescummingg past it out of frustration. Some of that is the mechanical effect - potentially losing or screwing up a Standard (one of the most valuable units you have) - but it's also frustrating that the writing presents it as a huge deal, where my normal response to the situation is "ok you had a baby, I'm fine with that," which is not at all reflected in the options. Any chance we can take this back to the drawing board?

yes this one was really irritating ...

yes i miss the "oh, you guys made a baby? great i can use more heroes, please others do as they do its incredibly fun" answer :D

or at least the "so what?" answer on that. (i mean it still could lead to good or bad outcomes) but why would it matter so much?

(i could understand if its about a commoners child or something but like this? )

i think to fix that event, (personally i really like it as it is, usually punish those disobedient heroes of mine) you need another option and some broad consequences to not disciplining the heroes, the event is an oportunity to show the player why the ruler needs to be directing the marridges. right now the event does a good job of telling the player why the heros are at fault in principle, but a ruler might think that they arnt at fault moraly. so instead of proving they are at fault, then giveing you options to deal with it that asume guilt. make them mechanically guilty of doing something bad, and then give choices about how the ruler wants to deal with it. if the ruler forgives really bad behavior... he reaps the reward

suggest that the child may not be attuned to the chalice because you didn't have a hand in the marriage. then you give the child a % chance of actualy being a normal guy not a hero. show this by ether giving him 1 hit point and crappy stats that pass down to any kids he has (we are told by the narrator's that normal people die if a cadence touches them) or write a little event when he comes of age that says he is weak, cant lift a caber, falls over when he shoots a bow and passes out near alchemic ingrediants so he cannot become a hero.

if you forgive the parents this event gets shuffeled back into the event deck a few more times as more parents have illigitimate kids... would make the event feel like something is at stake.

I'd convert the Crucible into a keep, and let them be.

Relic Jealousy (catchier title pending)

Requires you to have at least one hero with a relic in their posession, of course.

One of their siblings, or a relic-less hero from a different house, of a class that can use that relic's weapon type, comes to you claiming that they (or their house, if separate) are MORE WORTHY to carry such a powerful weapon and urges you to make it theirs.

Choices:

1. Defend the right of the current owner to have it. Result: The jealous hero may gain some kind of negative personality trait that reflects how upset they are over your decision. Otherwise, especially if they have certain personality traits, they will be swayed by a flattering speech from you about how they "have earned such respect from everyone by accomplishing with ordinary equipment what a lesser hero could barely do WITH a relic " or something like that..

2. Agree to their request and ask the hero owning the relic to relinquish it. Result: The Relic's former owner may give it up, but obtain a negative personality trait for this dishonor. They MAY quit your party altogether (taking the relic with them) if they are a free hero; but if they are a Regent, Partner, Standard or Sagewright this possibility is replaced with being successfully convinced that their great weapon will do more in the hands of an active soldier than collecting dust on their mantle, waiting to be someone's inheritance. Another possible result is that the hero defers to your leadership, or respects the other hero enough to willingly give them the relic.

3. Make the two heroes involved duel for the rights to the relic. Results: Either hero may win, gain/keep the relic, and the other gracefully accepts this result with a new-found respect for their comrade. Or: The duel goes too far and one hero is killed in the process; the surviving/winning hero gains/keeps the relic AND gains a "guilt" or "shame" personality trait, while you lose a hero senselessly. If one of the heroes is of higher level than the other, that may affect the chance of them being the victor, whether by fatal or nonfatal results.

2) The instant win option. In FTL if you had the right upgrade/crew member at the right time you were ensured a good result. It may not always be super amazing, but you know it's good. This option always made me feel rewarded for having had the foresight (or good luck) to have the right answer to the problem ahead of time. This may not work as well for MC, but I think there are some ways to incorporate it.

For the current events the one that stands out to me the most is the baby event. I absolutely hate this event. I never want to get this event as, regardless of the outcome, it always makes me feel terrible. Why do I have to hate that people found love or didn't allow me to play matchmaker? Am I really that terrible of a person? Honestly it makes me feel terrible every time I am forced to tear apart a family because "it's better for the country". I would love a 4th option which is to "let them have and raise the kid" and have options like he gets the trait "bastard" of either of the lines where he can't inherit or maybe use their relics due to the shame, but you can still keep him and the parents.

I very much agree with both these points. I don't like that there's no way to keep the family together..maybe you can choose to keep them together and the good option is the bastard tag, but they're all still usable heroes, and the bad option is their family is so unforgiving they all choose to leave and live as pesants-- so they can still be happy at least, even if you lose all three.

But I REALLY like the idea of some events having FTL style 'good' options you can get with the right prep. Maybe if you have certain things researched or people with certain traits or levels events could have those sorts of 'for sure good' color highlighted options.

Here's a thought-- maybe with some of these events, you can sub in people from your Vanguard. Just those five, so you don't have access to a whole nation of random traits which would almost be certain to have what you need somewhere and eliminate the feeling of earning it.

Example, in the Ostrich event, if the randomly chosen citizen or one of your vanguard has Insightful, you can have a 'for sure good' option to have them interact with it, and get a positive trait. Maybe that person feels it calling to them. This also means if you prepared right, you might be able to get those extra cool event bonuses where they'll do real good, which will feel extra satisfying.

Maybe there's even an event with a crippled or sickly beggar asking for aid at the castle, and one of your vanguard unfortunate enough to have sickly or something can go and commiserate, maybe offer to share a medicine they use, and it's like Beauty and the Beast where the beggar looks favorably on the kindness and turns their sickly to hearty, or instead ensure their children at least will be healthy. Of course if you don't have a sickly person it's a regular gamble-- whoever you send, either they're nice to her and get hearty, or they're mean to her and get sickly. This would shake it up a bit where having a bad trait was actually good for once.

Random Events.

Detective: A newly added Sagewright was cleaning out the room from the last Sagewright. When he/she discovers a journal, upon reading he/she notices pages missing about the Cadence which could be crucial information. The Sagewright asks to leave to follow a lead within the research notes that could be the whereabouts of the missing pages.

1) Let them go. (gone for years, learns a new trait)

2) Dont let them go. (slower research)

3) Send someone else. (?)

Ambush: Two hero's are out for a walk when they are ambushed by a group of Wrinklers. As you sense their danger, you can see one hero has a clean path to escape but might endanger the other. You can also sense that its not a big group so taking them on might not be a bad choice to do.

1) Have both hero's fight off the group. ( gain age but a new trait)

2) One hero makes a dash for it. (one dies, one lives. random)

Boy Scout: A young hero wants to go alone on a long mission into the Cadence to learn new information about the enemy.

1) let him go ( takes really long to complete but learns two traits)

2) send someone with him/her. ( Takes less time, both learn love trait?)

3) Don't let him/her go ( bad trait)

New events type more strategic. Current events setup a mood, build a bit of lore, build a bit the story, and contribute to the RNG. I'd like new type of events more strategy oriented. They could still be random among a pool, but would offer strategic choices instead of more or less random choice.

Those events would let choose among only positive choices with with strategic choice implication. They could also build lore/story part/mood but would offer dilema choices instead of positive/non positive/neutral/negative.

EDIT: One idea would be kingdom traits. Each traits have a positive and a negative, and each strategic event allow choose among two of them.

I don't have any story but some vague idea or kingdom traits would be :

- Cadence fog extraction, last X years, used to boost research of Y% but generate disease on children with Z% premature death.

- Adoption country effort, last X years, generates Y% automatic adoption of baby to young child, but the effort generates a research decrease of Z%.

- Wise advisor, stay during X years, choose himself (with some random formula) the heroes to promote as sage and teach them how boost their Intuition by Y%.

- Mysterious Wizard pact, let him choose X% of active heroes and make them warp in time during Y years and they come back younger of Z years.

X, one of your Sagewrights, comes to you with what she/he declares to be the salvation of the war. A herbal tonic derived from the Lapse which they claim will increase the speed of research!

1. Take the tonic, we must stay ahead of our enemy.

2. It's too risky, without fully knowing the effects of the tonic let's not take the chance.

3. Share the tonic between the sagewrights, surely a small does won't kill you?

4. Drop it in the chalice.

Results

1. X takes the tonic,

a: His/Her eyes glow with a pale blue light and he/she shrieks with pain. They have gained the 'Brainiac' trait, their intelligence has been raised by half. (If it was 6, it's now 9)

b:X clutches their throat as their skin begins to shrivel and peal. They drop to their knees as their body turns to dust at your feet.

a: Reluctantly X agrees and carefully disposes of the tonic.

b: Defiantly, X downs the tonic! go to results 1

3. If sagewrights == 1 go to results 1. Else

X shares the tonic out between the Sagewrights,

a: They cough down the tonic and someone remarks on the acrimonious taste. All sagewrights gain 1 intelligence.

b: They shriek as a blue vapor engulfs them...

If Sagewrights > 3 start a battle against the Sagewrights now Lapses, Else

...Then a swift series of explosions and all that's left are the shoes to fill.

4. X drops the tonic into the chalice...

a: it makes a plop sounds as it sinks beneath the water. Sadly, nothing else happens

b: as X looks deep into the water they see a pair of eyes staring back!

You've opened a temporary rift allowing a small group of Cadence through!! Start battle

c: as X looks deep into the water they see a pair of eyes staring back!

You find a child with bright blue eyes and increased intelligence

I really dislike the vast majority of the events and how random they feel. I would love it if many more events allowed for some level of strategy, where a player can be aware of the outcome of a decision and make the best of a bad situation. To illustrate what I mean, I have an event that I think clearly sets the player up with a variety of difficult outcomes but provides enough information to create strategic decisions.

The Dishonoured Bloodline

Word is spreading that the [random keep] family has been hiding [two random heroes from keep] to keep anyone from realizing that they are both deeply ill from corruption exposure. The [random keep] family is furious at the accusations, claiming that the rumours are an attack on the validity of their bloodline. Your Sagewrights caution against allowing anyone with corruption sickness to mix with the rest of your soldiers, but the [regent of the random keep] begs you to ignore the whispering.

Choice 1: Quarantine the entire house (Warning: You will not be able to use any hero from this bloodline for the next 8 years)

Result Message: The [random keep] family is embarrassed and angry but despite their grumbling agree to allow your Sagewrights to keep them under quarantine. (Effect: No heroes from this bloodline can be used for 8 years, 20% chance that the regent gains the personality trait Pessimistic)

Choice 2: Ignore the issue, it is but the idle whispering of rumor mongers

Result Message: The [random keep] family is grateful for your trust but mere days later it is clear that the corruption is only too real and spreading like wildfire. (Effect: All heroes have the status of sickly for 10 years, 20% chance that the regent of the house will gain the personality trait Stalwart)

Choice 3: Take no chances and purge the two corrupted heroes (Warning: You will lose both heroes)

Result Message: [regent] is furious with your decision and has many in his family openly questioning your leadership. Regardless, any threat of illness seems to have passed and there appears to be no further danger. (Effect: Lose both heroes, 40% chance for regent to gain the personality trait Agitator – which causes everyone in the party to have decreased initiative)

Here is another one.

Wildfire

A warm light appears on the horizon and as you wander to the window to investigate you quickly realize that a massive fire has engulfed the surrounding countryside. With horror you realize that fire is spreading directly toward the keep, and if you do not act quickly the Chalice may be in danger.

Choice 1: Protect the Chalice at all costs; send in the vanguard (Warning: Your vanguard will rush to protect the Chalice but this may put them in harms way)

Result Message: Your vanguard fights valiantly to protect the Chalice and soon the flames are out. Sadly, their success came at a price and [random vanguard member] has perished. (Effect: Lose a random member of the vanguard, 50% chance for all remaining members to gain the trait Survivor – increased evasion, 50% chance for the lost vanguard member to bestow the relic “Flameguard”)

Choice 2: Save the Chalice, but be cautious (Warning: The Chalice may be at risk)

Result Message: Your heroes slowly fight the flames, careful to keep themselves away from harm. As the fire finally fades it is clear that massive amounts of damage has been done. The keep is in shambles and it will take years to repair the damage. (Effect: The current research is postponed and four years of “repairs” must occur before it can continue.)

Choice 3: Use the Chalice to extinguish the flames (Warning: This will drain a massive amount of energy from the Chalice)

Result Message: A wave of energy pours out from the Chalice and you and your heroes watch with wonder as the flames vanish as if they never existed. However, even as the flames disappear you feel yourself become fatigued and you quickly realize the massive toll using so much Chalice energy has taken.

(Effect: For your next battle you can only send four heroes as the Chalice is too drained to send five)

I feel like an ass for posting for a third time, but I thought a lot about what I would love to see in an event. I would love it if there was a way to balance each option, so that the player can make a mostly informed decision and each result balances between a negative and a positive. With no one perfect answer and totally wrong answer the choice then comes down to making a decision that best reflects your current strategy. With some thought, this is what I came up with. I tried really hard to make sure that each possible choice is balanced between a positive outcome and a negative outcome, so the decision comes down to strategy, which choice makes the most sense for me right now. I don't know that this type of event is possible, given I am including things that don't currently exist but I really wanted to share my perfect type of event.

VitaliBAD!

“Heeelllpp mmMMee!”

The cry rings throughout the great hall and moments later a shattering crash echoes across the keep. You watch in mute shock as [random hero] tears toward you, a wild look in his/her eyes, limbs flailing. That is when you notice it, a Vitaliband glowing with unholy brilliance, the same dark green and orange of corruption. Something horrible has happened to [random hero] and you must act quickly to save him/her. As your heroes move to restrain the raging [random hero], you realize that no matter what you do, he/she is going to suffer grave consequences from your actions.

Option 1: Cut off the band (Warning: There is no telling what exposing an open wound to the corrupted band might do.)

Result Message: You attempt to restrain [random hero], having your heroes hold him/her down while you fight to remove the corrupted Vitaliband. After a long struggle you realize the only way to remove it is to cut off the entire hand. With a heavy heart you order your heroes to keep him/her still and with one smooth motion your sword removes the offending band. It takes only moments for [random hero] to regain themselves, and you explain what has occurred. He/she is deeply grateful for your actions though he/she wonders if she will ever be able to fight again.

(Effect: 40% chance [random hero] gain the trait Wounded – a large penalty to strength and dexterity, 20% chance the hero gains the trait Wounded and the trait Pessemistic, 20% chance [random hero] gains the trait Ambidextrous – a small increase in dexterity, 10% chance [random hero] gains the trait Infected – a small penalty to Strength, Dexterity, and Intelligence, also hero gains the relic “Corruption Born” upon death)

Option 2: Imprison [random hero] and wait for the madness to pass (Warning: We will be leaving a potential threat in our midst but at least we may save [random hero])

Result Message: Your heroes have barely gotten [random hero] into his/her cell when the light in his/her eyes goes feral red. With unbelievable strength, he/she tears off her/his restraints and begins attacking all those around him/her. It takes hours to subdue [random hero] and many of your heroes take serious wounds but eventually he/she tires and your heroes are able to knock her/him into a state of unconsciousness. Surprisingly when she/he wakes the feral light has faded to a dull glow and the orange-green bile-like colour of the band now appears a fiery gold. [random hero] cannot explain it, but he/she feels a renewed strength, a sudden rush of energy that flows through his/her veins.

(Effect: Three random heroes receive negative traits (injuries) and [random hero] gains the trait Unholy Strength – a massive increase in strength but a small penalty to intelligence.)

Option 3: Kill [random hero], he/she cannot be saved (Warning: We may lose this hero but at least we protect the rest of our heroes)

Result Message: The empty eyes of [random hero] stare up at you, and a wave of guilt becomes a crushing and oppressive pressure on your chest. You know you did the only thing you could but it doesn’t make you feel any better. You cast your gaze about, expecting to see resentful and angry glares from your heroes but you find none. Two staring faces catches your eye and you share a moment with [two randomly chosen heroes]. They nod, and you are comforted to know that at least your soldiers understand the difficulty of the choice.

(Effect: Lose [random hero], two random heroes gain the trait Pragmatist – a small buff to dexterity and intelligence but a minor decrease to intuition)

Option 4: Hand him/her over to the Sagewrights (Warning: Your Sagewrights may not be able to save [random hero] but we may learn valuable information about what occurred])

Result Message: Your Sagewrights somehow manage to calm the raging [random hero] and take him/her away. Several days later, one of your Sagewrights explains that [random hero] has died. Your grief at the news nearly gets the better of you, but before you can even contemplate the loss your Sagewright informs you that they have learned much from the corrupted band. With time we should be able to improve the effectiveness of our Vitalibands.

(Effect: [random hero] dies, Unlocks research to improve Vitalibands)

Are you still adding more random event types?

I don't really have cool ideas in mind. I'm asking it because after a few games events started to be a bit repetitive... i feel like there should be more.

This is much too late to hit v1.0, but I'd like to eventually see an overarching structure for the event system. My concern is that right now, events are random in a same-y kind of way. Because they rarely carry lasting effects beyond tweaking a unit's value as regent or standard, I worry that people will find the/their ideal build order and make subsequent playthroughs more about refinement than adaptation, which is where replayability and strategy are going to come from.

I think we’d benefit from categorizing events by Easy/Medium/Hard, and controlling the probability around when each kind would appear. Example:

Years 0-30: 75% Easy events/25% Medium events/0% Hard

Years 30-75: 25%/75%/0%

Years 75-150: 5%/90%/5%

Years 150-250: 0%/80%/20%

Years 250-300: 0%/25%/75%

Easy Events: Themed around “Opportunity.” The focus here is on getting your hero engine chugging and giving you healthy shoves in new directions tech-wise. These would often have guaranteed benefits, low-risk or low-cost consequences, and/or the ability to opt-out of risky decisions without consequence.

Medium Events: Themed around “Tradeoffs.” These would include most of the current events, focusing on risks and gambles to refine a kingdom that is already up-and-running. Traits, personalities, and relics become a big focus, but these are frequently gambles or loaded with tradeoffs, threatening to torpedo bloodlines and kingdoms if you push your luck foolishly.

Hard Events: Themed around “Damage Control.” Your kingdom is full of big damn heroes, but you can’t bench press away the Cadence’s corruption. These may include minor benefits to your heroes and relics, but at heavy cost or risk. More frequently, you’re caught choosing whether to lose your left arm or your right.

Actual event ideas:

Special Sauce (Easy)

A surge of spirited backers appearing in the capital has charged the chalice with unusual potency! Drinking this batch of chalice water would fill our heroes with incredible power on the battlefield!

- Give to (Regent & Partner A) -> +2000 XP to both

- Give to (Regent & Partner B) -> +2000 XP to both

- Distribute it amongst our newfound heroes! -> Instantly trigger Recruit Heroes.

Goal: If sufficient keeps have been established, shape the early-game by giving one bloodline (and thus, class) a big leg up on its peers. If not, additional heroes will provide a buffer time to get keeps up & provide genetic diversity.

Native Habitat (Easy)

While exploring the ruins of an recent battlefield, (1 hero from vanguard/retinue) spies a (Rupture/Lapse/Bulwark) stumbling alone, lost and confused. It hasn't noticed him yet… and he's confident he can get the drop on it!

- Go for the kill! -> Hero gains 1 kill worth of XP. Roll RNG, and gain Lone Wolf personality on a pass.

- Bring it back alive! -> Receive a research credit for that enemy type’s armor, weapon, and most basic accessory. Then, roll RNG; on a fail, hero suffers a Leg Injury, Arm Injury, or is killed.

Goal: Incentivizes variable tech path & priorities.

Orphans! (Easy)

(Regent) arranged for a group of orphans showing signs of chalice attunement to be sent to the capital, but the caravan has reportedly been sighted under attack. (Regent) believes he can get there in time to help, but there will be no time to gather reinforcements. What should he do?

- Go save some babies, hero! -> +1 baby to all keeps, then roll RNG. On pass, no effect. On a fail, regent dies or is grievously injured, unable to breed or pass on experience for the next 5 years.

- Let’s wait for the cavalry -> The Cadence are beaten back, but not before the babies are lost. No effect.

Goal: Opportunity for more heroes in the early-mid game, and also introduces genetic diversity to initial (and thus, most hurriedly-chosen) bloodlines.

Heart of Darkness (Medium)

(Regent of outer region) commissioned a study with our Sagewrights to determine the source of the region's power (note region boost) and at long last we have an answer! The bad news is, it appears to come from a condensed core of Cadence corruption! The Sagewrights believe they could unlock the core's power, at the cost of speeding the spread of corruption. What do you think?

- We need that strength to defend ourselves! -> Double effect of region bonus but add 1 strike of corruption.

- The Cadence is our sworn enemy. Destroy it! -> Reduce region strikes by 1, but lose bonus.

- Let’s not touch it. Just walk briskly away before it goes crazy. -> No effect, but trigger a Keep attack immediately.

Goal: Further emphasize one region bonus (and potentially class as a result) and/or cause a swerve in building plans.

Blood Feud (Medium)

A recent feast between the (Bloodline A) and (Bloodline B) families became heated, and (Regent A) was killed in the resulting brawl! The houses are at each other's throats, and will probably stay that way unless drastic measures are taken!

- Arrange a marriage to bring the families together. -> A random unit from (Bloodline A) becomes Regent, with a random non-zero fertility partner from (Bloodline B). Both gain the "Child Averse" personality. In 3-5 years, roll RNG. On a fail, "Child Averse" is lost for both parents. On a pass, "Child Averse" is replaced by "Patriotic" for both parents.

- Wait it out; they'll settle down. -> "Feuding with (other Bloodline)" personality gained by all members of both houses. (0 fertility with house, lowered accuracy when both are present & alive in battle.) After 5-10 years, roll RNG for each unit affected; on a pass, that unit loses the personality.

- We don’t fight our own! Banish (House B)! -> all House B units removed from retinue and keeps. (Vanguards can stay, I guess?)

Goal: Force player to adjust regent & vanguard plans, with possible payoff for an up-front challenge.

Brain/Off (Medium)

(Sagewright) approaches you on a dark and stormy night. “Sire, I believe I’m on the verge of a breakthrough, enabling us to move our heroes’ consciousness into more powerful bodies! All I need is a volunteer to test my theories! Whaddya say?”

- (Hero A from retinue) seems willing. What’s the worst that can happen? -> Roll RNG. On fail, this was all a waste of time; Sagewright gains Unintuitive Personality. On pass, Sagewright is struck by lightning and killed, but the experiment succeeds! Hero retains all Personalities but replaces traits with Quick, Bear Strength, and Nimble and is reset to 15 years old. Roll additional RNG to see if hero retains current bloodline or is created using a new one.

- (Hero B from retinue) seems willing. What’s the worst that can happen? -> As above

- I don’t like the sound of this at all! -> Sagewright throws a fit and starts a lab fire. Delay current research by 2 years.

Goal: Risky choice to potentially improve gene pool.

That Which Doesn’t Kill You? (Hard)

As you notice more and more bruises and injuries in your trainees, you realize that (Partner) has proven to be an… aggressive disciplinarian to his children. You begin to wonder if he's being too hard on them - any more “tough love” may break them entirely. What do you say to him?

- Endorse his behavior. We need the best of the best! -> Partner gains Patriotic. All trainees in keep roll RNG. On a pass, gain Hearty trait, or Tranquil personality if they already have it. On a fail, gain Sickly trait, or die if they already have it. All trainees in keep roll RNG again, and gain Reveler personality on a fail.

- Denounce his behavior. There is a line, and he's crossed it! -> Partner leaves his post and disappears from the retinue. Regent rolls RNG, gains Disheartened personality on a fail.

Goal: Wide-ranging risk to Trainee supply during the late game, when you typically would have pick of the litter due to hero volumes.

One idea that might be interesting to borrow from Galactic Civ franchise -- when you colonize an uninhabited planet (on a gameboard with varying number of planets), the game prompts you with a random event that has choices (the choices affect one of their systems, but the basic trigger is nice).

MC could potentially do something similar for the first time you build something in region -- there could be a pool of like 20-30 random events. It could either by dynamic based on what you were building, or just the general concept of building anything (probably easier). The trigger could be at the initial build or at the completion.

Might be a nice different way to insert some random events into the game.

Smiles

Random Event

The day you release your epic tactical battle game 2k releases their first trailer for their xcom sequel. People are exited about the genre and notice your game. Your sales numbers rise.

Jake Soloman who was a project lead on XCOM know each other -- maybe they planned it. Ha. Great coincidence otherwise

Smiles