Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Questionmarkman

We Want Your Random Event Ideas!

Hello there!

This is Max, one of the writers on Massive Chalice! We're super stoked to see everyone enjoying the game and it's been a great motivator while we continue to make things even better!

I've come to you today to talk about random events! We're already plugging away on more for the game, but we want to hear any event ideas that YOU lovely people have!

Also, what did you like about the events? What didn't you like? What do you want to see more of? Anything at all will help!

Awesome, good job so far! I love the events, they remind me of something I did for one of my own games (The Wager) so that's fun. Here's an idea I had the otherday while watching a stream.

A reveler hero comes up and demands that they want to make a cocktail using chalicewater as one of the ingredients. You can either:

Try to persuade them to give up their revelry. If it goes well, they give it up, if it goes badly, they maybe gain a negative trait of some sort.

Agree with the experiment. If it goes well, you get a new potion type (maybe a hangover cure for revelers), if it goes badly it has some sort of bad effect on their insides

Offer to test the concoction yourself. If it goes well, all heroes become patriotic and you get the potion type. If it goes badly, you wake up the next morning with no idea what happened and the reveler has left your ranks.

Max: I enjoy the random events ! They add to the strategy of the game with 3 choices, and real consequence ,provided the results are based on circumstances and choice (not random), I like the LASH the best.

You ask for ideas so here goes.

a catastrophic event ONLY after 150 yrs and more than 50 heroes.

A case of the BLACK plague has been reported in one of your outer regions.

1) you can take this very seriously and quarantine that region. (result of this choice) A 33% chance A) it goes away ,B) breaks out and effects the adjacent areas resulting a loss of 1/3 of your heroes, C) quarantine contains it and that region is lost!

2) You reassure the people its not a problem and secretly send your best alchemist to investigate. ( result 50% chance A) it gets worse spreads and you lose 1/3 of your heroes; B) 25% chance alchemist reports back its worse than you thought region is lost: C) alchemist secretly destroys all evidence of black plague , but it returns 25ys later and wipes out 1/3 of you heroes.

3) You take this seriously and stop all research at sagewrights guilds and make this there top priority, but don't quarantine the region. result 50% A) lose prior research and region but find a cure; B )25% chance you find a cure and only lose 1/10 of your heroes; C) 25% chance you find a cure and lose 1/4 of your heroes

This event clears out excess heroes, and puts a thematic catastrophe in the game!

Your events add a lot to the game WTG Max

There was one random event I came across where one of the Recruits says that a piece of the Chalice has been passed through their family, but their elderly aunt is very protective of it. You can recruit the aunt, though she's pretty low level, but she's significantly older due to her exposure to the Chalice. When I saw that the aunt was 97 years old, I thought that the implication was that the Chalice had made her immortal and that I now had an immortal Recruit to use for the rest of the game. This seemed really cool. However, I was disappointed to discover that a few years later, she died of old age.

I just think that was a slightly wasted opportunity to have a ridiculously old codger facing the Cadence at the ripe old age of 265.

Save the Orphanage! Hero spots a burning orphanage just in the nick of time! Does he rush in and potentially save a few, or is the risk too great?

Cradle to the Grave to the Cradle! (Must have encountered Cradles, must have a Sagewright's Guild) After a skirmish with the Cadence, a hero brings back the body of a Cradle for study by the Sagewrights... but the body begins moving again! How does the hero respond? (Potentially a Sagewright Guild battle, clean kill, injured/killed Hero or Sagewright, or exposure to the Cradle reduces Hero's age by 30 years!)

What's in a Name? (Must have encountered Twitches, must have a Sagewright's Guild) After a skirmish with the Cadence, a hero brings back the body of a Twitcher for study by the Sagewrights... but the body begins moving again! How does the hero respond? (Sagewright battle, clean kill, injured/killed Hero/Sagewright, Hero gets sucked in to the Twitcher's spotlight and comes out belonging to a different Bloodline)

Not Big Enough for the Two of Us! A long lost house (aka: new Bloodline with multiple heroes) from the outlands has returned to the capital... and they're demanding a Keep that one of your current Bloodlines is using! Do you exile the interlopers, attempt to negotiate, or grant their demand by evicting your current line? (Possibly triggers a battle... versus humans?! DUN DUN DUUUUUUN!)

Crushing Lamentations! (Must have a Crucible) A bard chronicling your reign asks, "What is best in life?" A loving family, crushing your enemies, serving your country, etc. Answer adds a corresponding Personality to all of your Standards.

I've avoided reading about Random Events, since I want to encounter them in the final game first, so forgive me if any of the ones currently in the system are covered by my suggestions.

When I think of the epic timeline, I think of:

- Natural disasters (the epic timeline just calls for these)

- Discovery of something ancient or forgotten to time in one of the regions.

- An encounter with someone (e.g. a random non-hero person of the populous) who encourages communication and dialogue with the Cadence, instead of war -- and we can decide how to handle this person and their speech -- with varying consequences obviously!

- 'War Bonding' two heroes -- perhaps you have to send them off on a special mission that takes a very long time (i.e. so they had to spend a lot of time together), and if they come back alive, they get personality traits that make them better in combat near each other.

- A great artist or poet or bard tries to raise the populous' spirits. How does the immortal ruler respond (e.g. Brad have him executed). ;-)

Smiles

1. A wandering sage offers some arcane knowledge to one of our heroes if he studies for X years. This can end up being positive and a good trait is bestowed or negative and they come back damaged.

2. You hear word that a young trainee is planning on running away and you need to decide whether to lock their room down or allow the chance that they may run away. Locking them could make them studious and raise a stat or the may waste away and become puny. Allowing them to run could grant a positive trait for the experience or a negative one as they got in trouble.

A Random Event after aquireing the Timefist Caber weapon.

'An Unusual Caberjack Brawl' or 'Two Caberjacks, One Collision' or 'Timefist Collision'

1. Two Caberjacks get drunk and go into a duel, however, the cabers collide and they dissapear for a long amount of time. when they come back they would have status's like 'Time-Sickness' , 'Timefisted' 'Saw Things' & 'Cadance Attuned' (Maybe increased effect with Cadence weapons or more damage on twitchers)

EDIT: Also add in that if a hero gets teleported to the past, it can give a trait to most people in the bloodline. or somthing. Cool if past could change the future.

A Random Event after aquireing the Timefist Caber weapon.

'An Unusual Caberjack Brawl' or 'Two Caberjacks, One Collision' or 'Timefist Collision'

1. Two Caberjacks get drunk and go into a duel, however, the cabers collide and they dissapear for a long amount of time. when they come back they would have status's like 'Time-Sickness' , 'Timefisted' 'Saw Things' & 'Cadance Attuned' (Maybe increased effect with Cadence weapons or more damage on twitchers)

I really like this idea but I think it needs an element of choice. Maybe two Caberjacks disagree and one of the options is that they duke it out and if you've developed the Timefist, the whole time displacement thing happens.

Well, I feel ambivalent about the random events.

I liked those events where you had a more or less clear idea about your decision and the results (not the exact results but the kind of "this seems like a good/bad idea", "this seems very risky but maybe rewarding", "this is rightous, but maybe not really good for you", etc...)

SPOILERS AHEAD

For example I liked the event where one of your heroes settled a dispute, but one died. So i send the heroe to prison and after his imprisonment he was kind of a wreck. I understood that result.

Or I liked the event with the old aunt which had a piece of the chalice but din't want to give it to you because it was the last thing which remembered her of her family. So I let her go and a few years later when she died she passed it over to me, so I guess the running research was fastened or something like that. Again, that result was comprehensible.

But sometimes there are events where there is absolutely no clue what you should choose, but you have the bad feeling that whatever you do it is bad... In Germany we have a saying " It's like the choice between pest and cholera". And it feels like a random dice roll which bad thing will happen and you have no control over it...

I can't come up with a specific example right away... The ostrich event was kind of that style, but really not the worst.

And I really hated events where there where no clue that your choice would be bad, but it was bad...

Once one of my heroes wanted to build something and I had to choose what. So i choosed the library which seemed like a good idea... Well, it turned out that the heroe had stolen all the books from the sagewrights and my research time was doubled or something like that... man, I really hated that one :(

So long story short:

I guess the result should allways be comprehensible and fair in respect to your decision and not like: Well, in your face! Something bad happens!!

1: laps in judgement- hero forgets who he is due to laps attack. you can introduce him to his bloodlin in hopes of joging his memory, tell him heroic tales of his family's deeds or put him in the chalice? at best her remembers and his new love for his family makes him bountifle. middleing he dosnt regain his memory (gets a white sigle like the sagewrites and loses his last name) but gains extra damage vs lasps and is all super bitter about it. at worst the tragedy of his own lost self causes him to walk out into the cadence, the next morning a pile of laps corpes are piled before the chalice along with the dead hero. another great result would be the family of the hero with the missing hero all become pessimists

give me more like the ballon event. that made me so sad and proud.

Well, I feel ambivalent about the random events.

I liked those events where you had a more or less clear idea about your decision and the results (not the exact results but the kind of "this seems like a good/bad idea", "this seems very risky but maybe rewarding", "this is rightous, but maybe not really good for you", etc...)

SPOILERS AHEAD

For example I liked the event where one of your heroes settled a dispute, but one died. So i send the heroe to prison and after his imprisonment he was kind of a wreck. I understood that result.

Or I liked the event with the old aunt which had a piece of the chalice but din't want to give it to you because it was the last thing which remembered her of her family. So I let her go and a few years later when she died she passed it over to me, so I guess the running research was fastened or something like that. Again, that result was comprehensible.

But sometimes there are events where there is absolutely no clue what you should choose, but you have the bad feeling that whatever you do it is bad... In Germany we have a saying " It's like the choice between pest and cholera". And it feels like a random dice roll which bad thing will happen and you have no control over it...

I can't come up with a specific example right away... The ostrich event was kind of that style, but really not the worst.

And I really hated events where there where no clue that your choice would be bad, but it was bad...

Once one of my heroes wanted to build something and I had to choose what. So i choosed the library which seemed like a good idea... Well, it turned out that the heroe had stolen all the books from the sagewrights and my research time was doubled or something like that... man, I really hated that one :(

So long story short:

I guess the result should allways be comprehensible and fair in respect to your decision and not like: Well, in your face! Something bad happens!!

I agree strongly with this.

At the very least let me feel like I can diminish the bad effects by picking the "right" choise, and getting lucky with it.

I'm not sure if I just got unlucky, but it seems to me that there are many more bad consequenses than good. And it seems like the bad consequenses are more meaningful than the good. That makes me want for events to not happen, which is sad.

I think we need more exciting good consequenses.

The one above about a hero, getting immortal (or just really old), seems like a good exaple of a very meaningful good consequense.

I love the running joke about putting everything in the chalice. It's one of those things that almost gets funnier every time.

A local man has allegedly found a relic of a long forgotten house and set up a small shrine to it. While at first a small low key affair, word of mouth has spread and the populace has begun to make pilgrimages to seek solace.

Choice:

Back the shrine, sending a hero to approve of the shrine and give it your blessing.

Results:

1: All things go smoothly and the people's faith in a end to the war is renewed. Increased happiness -1 corruption.

2: Your hero enters the shrine and all things seem fine until they walk into one of the shoddily made pillars. The shrine collapses killing (or injuring, depends how mean you want to be) the hero.

Choice:

Take the relic for yourself, there's a war on after all and we need all the weapons we can find.

Results:

1: Gain a random level 1 relic you can give to any house. (Increased corruption?)

2: It turns out the weapon is nothing more than a fake. (Increased corruption?)

Choice:

This man must be attuned to the Chalice to have found a relic in the first place. Throw him in the Chalice to see if he's truly a hero.

Results:

1: Gain a new hero with a level 1 relic.

2: The results weren't pretty as his flesh was slowly ripped from his bones to reveal the familiar form of a wrinkler. Hero's where mustered to the Chalice room as quickly as possible but not before the wrinkler killed a Sagewright and wounded several people (increased age gain to two random heroes).

Choice:

Ignore it, I don't have time to deal with every nut and his pet rock.

Results:

Nothing.

The most memorable random event for me was when two unpaired heroes had a child together without your consent, and all your options involved punishing them in some way. That was very emotive, in the end I let the child decide who to keep and who to exile and I got to keep at least one parent and one child, but no option to keep them all =/

The other one I enjoyed was when a regent and their partner had a falling out, so I sent one of their children to talk to them together to calm them down, and as a result they both became insatiable!

So I guess what I'm saying is, would be fun to have more relationship type events that effect statuses between characters and their partners, or result in a special child.. maybe including a 'love' status perhaps?

Honestly I dread the random events. I know it's human nature to remember the bad over the good, but they feel like they always end poorly. I'm a save scummer and I save scum for neutral or not terrible ends to these not good ones. I remember 2 events where I got good outcomes.

1) A sagewright got hit by some purple gas and got super inspired. Happened on a young one I just put in so she was amazing!

2) Got patriotic on a standard from the baby event.

Now these felt pretty awesome, but I think part of that was the surprise that I actually got a positive outcome. Normally I lose 1 OR MORE soldiers. I had one random event take out two of my active party when the original event didn't even include them. That was extremely frustrating. I'm a player who likes control and while it's fine not to have it in everything it really irks me when I lose something I've worked hard to make awesome with just a "whoops sorry!"

I believe these are kinda of modeled after FTL's events. I feel there are two things that make me enjoy (for the most part) FTL's events a lot more than MC random events.

1) I feel that there is a decent chance of both something good or something bad happening so it's a gamble. More importantly it's a gamble I chose to take. There is more often than not a choice to avoid the encounter. There are a few of these options in MC (but I'm honestly worried one of those will backfire on me someday) and sometimes the option does really make sense, but I like having the option of NOT putting up the guy I've groomed for the next standard/regent to a chance roll of who knows what. I hate feeling like I have to take that chance even if I really don't want to

2) The instant win option. In FTL if you had the right upgrade/crew member at the right time you were ensured a good result. It may not always be super amazing, but you know it's good. This option always made me feel rewarded for having had the foresight (or good luck) to have the right answer to the problem ahead of time. This may not work as well for MC, but I think there are some ways to incorporate it.

For the current events the one that stands out to me the most is the baby event. I absolutely hate this event. I never want to get this event as, regardless of the outcome, it always makes me feel terrible. Why do I have to hate that people found love or didn't allow me to play matchmaker? Am I really that terrible of a person? Honestly it makes me feel terrible every time I am forced to tear apart a family because "it's better for the country". I would love a 4th option which is to "let them have and raise the kid" and have options like he gets the trait "bastard" of either of the lines where he can't inherit or maybe use their relics due to the shame, but you can still keep him and the parents. As a bad option for this choice maybe there are a spree of these and a few of these pairs happen where you can't marry the parents and their children are bastards. Maybe a good option is where the parents are inspired by your benevolence and redouble their efforts. I would always chose this options just to not feel like a complete and utter ass every time this event came up.

Going to suggest some options based on point 2 of the why I like FTL events section. Going to play some tonight and will try and think of more!

Veil armor for the church: We have a chance to sneak in and do some recon to get extra info!

Cave is blocked by a boulder and a hero is trapped inside. Options to try and brute force move the boulder, use basic alchemist flasks to explode , or use the explosive caber to hit and destroy/move the boulder

random event marriage counseling, Oh this one can be disastrous (and this time it was)

spoiler alert *

This was my best hunter regent and his young ( bountiful bride of 1yr). I chose talk to them and ..... well it went badly. they both got unromantic personalities from my talk. Now as thy both have it and , and are having a few babies (for the sake of the nation) in spite of there unromantic state. Result: the great trait babies also have it and it took 3 generations to weed it out of the family Oh that hurt and as there was no choice to just ignore them This was a new Regent and bride with a relic!

It does make the game FUN, just wonder Brad, if the couple is random, or if the event purposely picked my new Regent with no babies yet

An idea that was brought up on twitter:

A young hero (before coming to age?) has decided they do not want to fight - they want to pursue a life outside of the war. What should we do?

- Force them to continue training as a soldier (Keep the hero, but chance they will get a "jaded"-type personality)

- Join the Stonemason's Guild (Lose the Hero, Strength-based roll to gain a bonus to construction speed for next building)

- Join the HornBlower's Guild (Lose hero, Intelligence-Based roll to gain bonus XP in next battle)

- Join the Farmer's Guild (Lose hero, Dexterity-Based roll to gain increased chance for births for a period of time)

You might be able to expand this to a multi-part event by having a step of "The hero is enjoying/not enjoying this job, stick with it or back to the barracks?"

I'd like to see events like these:

- Regent refuses to marry assigned partner, stating they have found their soulmate among the commoners and intent to marry, even if it means becoming a commoner themselves.

- We should embrace the cadence, not fight them! the shouts are echoing through the streets. --> Fight the oppression of the chalice and it's puppet ruler! --> One of your heroes turns out to be against you, and incites an uproar among the commoners. You're forced to fight them in battle.

- I'm not like my family! a hero says, and drops his [caber/crossbow/thrower] and takes up a [caber/crossbow/thrower].

- I'm not like my family! a hero says, and drops his [caber/crossbow/thrower] and takes up a [caber/crossbow/thrower].

Related, I'd like Regent stepping down, or a hero wishing to become a Sagewright instead of an active combatant.

Smiles

Little Blue Pill. (Must NOT have researched Fertility Boost yet.) A sagewright approaches you and explains that he's putting the finishing touches on a potion that will enhance our heroes' fertility! He suggests 3 male heroes to serve as test subjects. Choices: refuse, submit any single hero, submit all heroes. For each hero submitted, roll the RNG. On a failure, the hero gains Infertile. On a success, he gains Bountiful. If ANY succeed, the kingdom acquires the Fertility Boost research immediately.

That Escalated Quickly! (New Regent must have had first child in last 10 years) You discover that one of your regents has joined a cult devoted to physical excellence and intends to sacrifice his firstborn to enhance his power and line! Do you allow it to happen (high chance of replacing all negative Traits on Regent & Partner with random positive ones, at cost of Trainee's life) forbid him to do so (no effect) or strip him of his regency entirely? (Hero removed as regent, possibly abandons your retinue entirely out of frustration)

Black Sheep

You've received strange reports that a lone CADENCE_TYPE has been spotted near one of your settlements, but its attacks are merely injuring civilians, not killing them. Has the CADENCE_TYPE been weakened somehow? Is it restraining itself for some nefarious reason? HERO_NAME volunteers to investigate.

* Instruct him/her to personally destroy the CADENCE_TYPE

(Kills the intruder with no further effect)

* Instruct him/her to rally the local populace to destroy the CADENCE_TYPE

(Kills the intruder, with a small chance that HERO_NAME will die; there is also a small chance that a new Hero will distinguish themselves in the battle)

* Instruct him/her to take SAGEWRIGHT_NAME along and observe the CADENCE_TYPE

(Kills the intruder and provides 1-5 extra "corpses" worth of research about that CADENCE_TYPE; there is also a small chance that SAGEWRIGHT_NAME will die)

* Instruct him/her to attempt to capture the CADENCE_TYPE for further study

(There is a significant chance that HERO_NAME will die, but if they do not, the CADENCE_TYPE is captured and provides 3-10 extra "corpses" worth of research; at developer discretion, this could also unlock further random event, a relic, and so on)

Right in the Taint! Your subjects have located a Cadence corruption core which threatens to bring devastation to [Zone X] unless we dispose of it immediately! How shall we do so? Ignore to lose zone immediately. Throw in Chalice to disperse corruption, applying one point to a random zone. Store in a Keep to add Sickly (-HP) Trait to all units born or residing in the Keep for the next 10 years as the corruption fades. Send to the Sagewrights to apply a -10 Intuition penalty for the next 5 years as they safely deconstruct it.

The Great Fae! One of your Alchemist's prayers at the Chalice are interrupted when the Queen of Faeries springs from the vessel's sacred waters. Touched by his reverence, she offers to bless an item; what do you choose? Weapon, turning his basic weapon into a Level 3 Relic or adding 3 levels to the highest-level Relic in his inventory. Armor, granting the next level of Alchemist armor in the tech tree. Vitaliband, yielding the Vimbrace, which acts as a Vitaliband that also grants minor HP regen when you start a turn <50% HP. Steady Hander, yielding the Graceful Hander, which acts as a Steady Hander that also grants +10% evasion versus ranged attacks. (In a perfect world, "enhanced" accessories like this would be tracked individually on the retinue rather than made available to all units, but I don't think that tech exists currently.)

The Tree's Last Gift! The Great Oak is dying, its roots poisoned by the encroaching Cadence. But the spirit of the tree will not go quietly, and offers the last of his strength for one final gift to the land that he loves so - what do you take? Trunk = Level 3 Caberjack relic to be assigned immediately. Iron Acorn - assign to a keep, all units born or residing in for the next 10 years gain (+STR) Trait. Copper Apple - assign to a keep all units born or residing in for the next 10 years gain (+INT) Trait.

Man, I still haven't been able to see what happens when someone completes The Lash.

But anyway, here's one at the top of my head:

Since the last battle, one of your active heroes has been having vivid nightmares every night. In his dreams, your hero has been speaking with the Cadence and they have been calling out to him to embrace the corruption. Your hero has had very little sleep since then and feels he is slowly being driven mad by the nightmares. He seeks your counsel on what to do next.

- Leave him alone. They're just dreams.

- He adjusts to it but give him "Insomniac" trait.

- He runs off into the corrupted lands never to be seen again. Remove from retinue.

- He overcomes the dreams and his resolve to destroy the Cadance strengthens.

- Have the Sagewrights study him and his dreams for clues to help the cause against the Cadence. Remove from retinue for 10 years.

- Learn more about the Cadence from his dreams. Add to Cadence corpses. He returns with some mental instability.

- His nightmares drive him mad and kills one of your Sagewrights before being killed himself.

- The Sagewrights help him recover from his nightmares and he returns with a bonus to intuition.

- Throw him in the Chalice.

- The Chalice drives him into a frenzy and suffers unimaginable pain before finally dying.

- Nothing seems to happen. But the following night, he dies in his sleep which causes the corruption to spread.

- He gets visions while in the Chalice and returns with a bonus to intuition.

Related, I'd like Regent stepping down, or a hero wishing to become a Sagewright instead of an active combatant.

Smiles

Yeah, I like stuff that all of these!

This is a long post for a single suggestion. Hopefully it's not already been suggested or part of the game:

The Forgotten Relic

This event has the precondition that the player has at least one relic from a bloodline that has been discontinued. The event is that the relic that was thought to have been sealed away with a deceased hero is instead found underneath the cradle of a newborn hero [either randomly selected OR someone with an indirect relationship to the original bloodline; they're all related somehow]. The child may have a spiritual connection to the relic that goes beyond blood! What do you do?

Options:

1. Lock the relic away. Weapons sealed away with the dead should not be appearing near babies.

2. Give the relic to the child. Let it pass into the [child's last name] bloodline.

3. Declare that this child is a true heir of [relic bloodline name] and give them the relic.

Outcomes (numbering corresponds to options above):

1. You seal the relic below ground in a heavy diamond-lined casket, cover it with thousands of tons of debris, pave over the debris with handcrafted extra-durable bricks, designate the area as a municipal garbage dump, and create an elaborate system of traps around the garbage dump. That relic should consider itself sealed. [This could potentially lead to later events where the ghost of the previous relic-user comes back irritated with its treatment, or it could just be the uneventful safe option.]

2a. The relic is passed on to the child and can then be passed on to other members of the child's original bloodline. The relic ALSO gets a sweet buff for being TOO AWESOME TO HANDLE. Aside from being wicked awesome, this buff helps the relic compete with modern relics (the buff would be proportional to the amount of time the previous bloodline was gone) and it differentiates this outcome from the one where you get to revive the old bloodline (see 3a).

2b. The child is injured by the relic and is no longer capable of being a hero. Don't be too hard on yourself. No one could have foreseen that giving a haunted killing tool to an infant would ever turn out like this.

3a. The child gets the relic and the trait "heir of [relic bloodline name]". They get a name change which allows them to resurrect the old bloodline when they come of age [they may also acquire some of the personality traits of the last user of the relic]. The relic does NOT get the sick stat boost from 2a. The flavor text here is about how the child hero is all set to go and live their fantasy of being from a powerful ancient bloodline and rebelling against their original bloodline destiny, but they first need to cope with the reality that there's a reason that ancient bloodline is no longer around.

3b. Same as 2b.

3c. You officially change the bloodline of the child and use your chalice voodoo to make it magically binding in a totes thematically appropriate way. Unfortunately, the child still can't seem to use the relic. They gain the personality trait "failed experiment" whose description is simply "a disappointment" and which has some small debuff, or not, I mean it doesn't really matter does it? You're never using this disgrace of a hero again. They still get to live out their life though, reminded every day by the creeping corruption of the many wrongs in the world that they are unable to right. [if you ever actually DO use this hero in battle with a trait like that, they should get some sort of bonus like having their death produce a relic that can be used by any bloodline. Presumably, very few people would ever discover this benefit (except for people reading about it on a wiki).]

To follow up on that previous post, I think my favorite part of events is their ability to confer cool traits. I talked about that in the "favorite random event" thread, but I really do like the unique traits and the way they remind you of the random event story every time you see them in the tactical/strategic layers.

I'd also appreciate more random events with relatively clear ways of avoiding super high risk bets. There are times when gambling is fun in the game (sure, go for the Lash, live your dreams) and there are times when it really just isn't (that event with the sagewright baby is just irritating; make as many babies as you can, I don't want to exile you for getting busy outside a keep). I don't think there's ever a really good reason to have random events where all the outcomes appear negative. It's just way more fun to buy losing lottery tickets than to win at Russian roulette.

Miscellaneous unorganized ideas:

* Tying a random event to the # of trainees at a keep: have an event where a keep with fertility problems can experiment with a new fertility drug. Possible outcomes include having more kids (yay), having LOTS more kids with terrible traits or personality issues (um, yay?), having a bunch of infertile kids (could be good or bad depending on the situation), or killing the regents (since you have to have an outright terrible outcome because you're a terrible person).

* Have a random event that has the potential to severely corrupt an inner region of the map (2 strikes). Whatever option leads to this should be something that could be avoided by risk-adverse players who recognize the long-term danger.

* "Can we keep him?" : some hero finds a baby rupture and wants to keep it as a pet. Do you allow them to raise it? Possible outcomes include earning rupture corpse bonuses, having your heroes killed, spreading corruption, getting a trait that buffs against ruptures, etc.

* A random event that offers options to either delay the next attack (with some potential penalty) or to advance it (with some potential bonus). The delay/advancement should not be a random thing, allowing players to make a real decision about the time of the next fight, but the associated penalties/bonuses can be variable.

* "Standardized Testing" : an educational reform campaigner comes to talk to you. They think the curriculum is sorely lacking and offer options to change it. Potential outcomes include a boost in crucible efficiency, a reduction in crucible efficiency for a period of years, a mass adoption of the "dimwitted" or "brainy" traits (or the opposite for rebellious trainees -- I see the education program acting like a bonus Standard of that trait), or a battle royale fight-to-the-death exam system that kills off half your trainees and grants the others some disturbing bonus traits (something like Lone Wolf in its effect, but with more history of bloodshed).

* Time to go : for some thematically appropriate reason, a hero feels it's their time to die. The outcome of some choice grants them a trait that will grant them bonus experience if they die in the next battle and prevents them from forming a relic unless they die in that battle.

* "Thematically Appropriate?" : when playing with thematically inappropriate bloodlines, one of the inappropriate bloodlines approaches you with the concern that they feel out of place in the world.

* "The worst event." : Giant spiders are attacking every single region of your map simultaneously. Also all your trainees have time flu. Do you either exile your Standards or kill your Sagewrights? Regardless of your choice, you wake up to find it was all a dream and you also find an adorable little puppy which you give to a welcoming and safe home. There are no other consequences for this event.

Flood Emergency! If unattended, one region with under 2 Cadence/Corruption rises to 2.

Bountiful Harvest Surge in heroes born.

Twins\Cloning\Reincarnation In general, I'd like to see events/options that let me clone/duplicate, or "reincarnate" one of my favorite heroes. Yes, I know this is a long shot - being a generational game - but I'd love it if this character went "immortal" as a trait and had the option of rocking out.

The Cost of Knowledge: An event that allows you to sacrifice heroes in order to raise the intuition of others.

Riddles\Puzzles: Specific fights or riddles\puzzles (perhaps incorporated into the combats) for relic or other special rewards as random events would be *supa cool.*

What about Weather?: Some basic weather events (or maybe quests that summon specific weather patterns to regions) would be epic. For example, you might quest/work towards a "tropical event" or whatever in order to decrease the chances of a Cadence attack in a specific territory by half. Conversely, maybe you could go for "monsoon season!" and double the chances (to farm a specific benefit maybe?).

Dudes! Just wanted to say thanks for all of your awesome suggestions! I talked a bit about it in the chat during the last livestream, but having more events around the relationships between heroes and families are definitely something we'd like to explore more.

Also super stoked over how hard The Lash has been to finish(AS IT SHOULD BE)!

Sign in to follow this