YAY

T-FIGHTER

X-WING

STAR WARS®: KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC

INDIANA JONES® AND THE FATE OF ATLANTIS™

THE SECRET OF MONKEY ISLAND™: SPECIAL EDITION

SAM & MAX HIT THE ROAD

...AND MORE TO COME

I repeat myself. Yay. Esp. at more to come.

Irgendwie Wahnsinn, oder?! Nach all der Zeit hält man schon mal kurz inne und starrt auf den Bildschirm, während einem die eine oder andere Erinnerung durch den Kopf fliegt.

Very cool and although i do own all of the LucasArts adventures, i always was hoping for a DRM free re-release, especially for people who don't have access to the originals. The only thing better would have been if they would offer adventure packages (like providing ScummVM and the appropriate games data) where each version of an adventure is included so that you can go wild (PC, Amiga, EGA, ...).

Anyway TFOA and HTR are very good adventures, highly recommended.

Looking forward to The DIG. :o)

Not sure if Tie Fighter actually holds up, but that game was really something else when it was released. People who played the Rogue Squadron games should have tried flying next to a Star Destroyer in this game. The only thing I have played that felt close to it since was the follow up X-Xwing Alliance.

There have been other space sims of course, but no other that have given me the same sense of scope and.....weight (in lack of a better word) like these ones.

I don't know a single Star Wars game which really was great. I was hoping for 1313 though.

I don't know a single Star Wars game which really was great. I was hoping for 1313 though.

So, you're saying that you haven't played the X-Wing / Tie Fighter games? :)

Kotor is awesome also. Better story then three latest movies combined.

I think I'm a little obsessed with LucasArts adventure games. I already own all of the adventure games that are going up on GOG.com in two hours, but I'm still sitting here watching the countdown clock so I can buy them when they're available.

Actually, I think I'm more obsessed with ScummVM, since I really want to see whether they use ScummVM

So, does it use ScummVM or does it use DOSBox?

I bought them and checked. They use ScummVM. GOG.com are notoriously bad at providing that kind of information. Good job on bringing back these awesome classics though.

Relevant from other thread.

dooble pawst.

So, you're saying that you haven't played the X-Wing / Tie Fighter games? :)

Tie Fighter is better than X-wing. For one thing, the missions aren't nearly as long. If you get one of them, get Tie Fighter.

I haven't played X-Wing Alliance, though. Would so buy if it becomes available.

EDIT: One thing to note: Tie Fighter does NOT play well with a 360 controller. I mean besides the fact that there are too many keys for you to bind to a 360 controller. The analog sticks don't... analog.

You need a joystick.

KOTOR II is always going to be the one I have the most fondness for.

KoTOR is great. I don't really have the love for it most people do because on my first play through I found a game breaking issue. There are two objectives that send you to the initiation point of each other and if you start them both before finishing one, you can't finish either of them(one being story progression). I REALLY have tried to look past that first impression though. It's a really fun, immersive, game.

Personal taste is obviously a factor but I find it a little bewildering if you don't consider any of the following to be great Star Wars games...

* Star Wars (1983 arcade game)

* X-Wing/Tie Fighter/X-Wing Alliance

* Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight (and its add-on; Mysteries of the Sith)

* Knights of the Old Republic

* Star Wars: Racer Arcade

...and those are just the titles that I consider to be objectively great. If I were to include the games that I subjectively enjoy as well, then I would add...

* Dark Forces

* Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

* Rebel Assault 2

* Rogue Squadron

@CecilRousso

Nope, i gave them a try but i didn't enjoy them. The game design of the Arcade was mediocre, the sfx on the VCS were awful, the gfx and gameplay of the PC games wasn't convincing, Rebel Assault wasn't looking good either and so on ... these games never felt convincing related their game design and/or the gfx. F.e. the differences to the cgis of the movies and the fun watching Han Solo in a film was just too big.

I couldn't appreciate the Jedi Knight games. At some point I just got bored of the extremely samey levels. They just couldn't hold my interest.

Nope, i gave them a try but i didn't enjoy them. The game design of the Arcade was mediocre, the sfx on the VCS were awful, the gfx and gameplay of the PC games wasn't convincing. Rebel Assault wasn't looking awful either and so on ... these games never felt convincing related their game design and/or the gfx. The difference to the movies and the fun watching Han Solo in the film was just too big.

Fair enough. I get a feeling that the much requested for (and sadly never received) Han Solo space/smuggler simulator would have been right down your street, had such a thing ever existed. Theoretically, it would have basically been a Star Wars version of Elite.

Alas, LucasArts always did seem to have a knack for missing a trick or two. They never did get back to me about my proposal for a Jar-Jar waterboarding sim. The fools!

@CecilRousso

Nope, i gave them a try but i didn't enjoy them. The game design of the Arcade was mediocre, the sfx on the VCS were awful, the gfx and gameplay of the PC games wasn't convincing, Rebel Assault wasn't looking good either and so on ... these games never felt convincing related their game design and/or the gfx. F.e. the differences to the cgis of the movies and the fun watching Han Solo in a film was just too big.

Rebel Assault were pretty shitty yes. But the PC games, X-Wing and Tie Fighter, not convincing in terms of gameplay?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbbSx70iYY31G1dUHN_s5QOlql3VtxHq1THTX6AyDzPu1Au-mc

Oh well, opinions of course. :) But playing Tie Fighter with a proper joystick back in the days when it was released is one of my favorite gaming memories.

Hmm, did there exist good joysticks those days?

The Competition Pro was like a god sent piece of hardware but most of these analogue monsters sucked a lot.

@CecilRousso

Rebel Assault were pretty shitty yes. But the PC games, X-Wing and Tie Fighter, not convincing in terms of gameplay?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbbSx70iYY31G1dUHN_s5QOlql3VtxHq1THTX6AyDzPu1Au-mc

Oh well, opinions of course. :) But playing Tie Fighter with a proper joystick back in the days when it was released is one of my favorite gaming memories.

Meanwhile, I actually liked Rebel Assault 1 and 2 a lot. Certainly much more than the Jedi Knight games.

Of course, I'm also a weirdo because I liked the 90's FMV games like Star Trek: Borg and A Fork in the Tale.

The Competition Pro was like a god sent piece of hardware but most of these analogue monsters sucked a lot.

This was my joystick back in the day:

http://amzn.to/1DY5iPI

http://home.arcor.de/s.kohlmann/joystick/wmextreme.png

Logitech Wingman Extreme (sans Digital). I swear by the quality of most Logitech products.

As it stands, I'm not sure I would care whether or not I had an actual HOTAS (Hands-On Throttle-And-Stick -- meaning a fist-sized throttle in addition to the joystick)

Well, yeah, the range of available joysticks was greater then ever back then, so of course there were plenty good ones available. :)

Meanwhile, I actually liked Rebel Assault 1 and 2 a lot. Certainly much more than the Jedi Knight games.

Of course, I'm also a weirdo because I liked the 90's FMV games like Star Trek: Borg and A Fork in the Tale.

They were pretty fun, and different from most other games then, but they really weren't good games. :)

But I actually did get a bit of Rebel Assault feeling from the Uncharted 2 demo.

...I'm also a weirdo because I liked the 90's FMV games...

You and me both. I have so much love for those 90s FMV titles. So very cheesy and so much fun. Some were genuinely great too, such as Under A Killing Moon and The Pandora Directive. I have so many happy memories of sitting at the family computer in our kitchen as a kid, whilst my Mum cooked up a casserole behind me, occasionally commentating on the shoddy acting emanating from our CRT monitor.

I have a particularly vivid memory of my Mum being amusingly bewildered by the sequence where Gabriel steals some fur from the wolf at the German zoo in Gabriel Knight 2. "Heir Knight! Vat ar' yu doing?!" said the zoo keeper on screen. "Ed, what are you doing to that wolf?!" came my Mother's response. They were happier times in life. *sniff*

They were pretty fun, and different from most other games then, but they really weren't good games. :)

Pretty much. That's why I included the Rebel Assault games on my subjective list of titles which I enjoy. There really is no denying that they're actually pretty bad games, objectively speaking. That never stopped me from replying them over and over though. I still have the exit from the Hoth cavern maze level from the first Rebel Assault committed to memory. Left, left, right, left, left.

Disney has vacuumed up yet more of my hard earned cash.

Well, if you will leave your money laying around on the floor, whilst the mouse is busy doing the hoovering...

@chyron8472

Nay, i didn't like these kind of joysticks. Joystick related i enjoyed the Arcade quality where you also could apply some serious force without having to fear that things or the table are flying through the room and for digital steering they weren't precise and comfortable enough (at least for my hands), the CP was resting safely in your slap and you could tweak it easily (especially if it had no digital switches). These joysticks offered far to many options (which you mostly didn't use, were looking awful and often felt kind of cheap). There also existed a few good ones but they were priced very high.

Dunno, there went quite some evolution and optimization into something like the latest Xbox controller.

But the Logitech GXXX mice are very good or a few serious trackballs or the IBM keyboard Model M, ...

Hmm, i also remember playing one of those Star Trek shooters and mostly they were rather boring, except there was one level which had a dense atmosphere and the level design was really good. I have no idea which game and level this was though.

@chyron8472

Nay, i didn't like these kind of joysticks. Joystick related i enjoyed the Arcade quality where you also could apply some serious force without having to fear that things or the table are flying through the room and for digital steering they weren't precise and comfortable enough (at least for my hands), the CP was resting safely in your slap and you could tweak it easily (especially if it had no digital switches). These joysticks offered far to many options (which you mostly didn't use, were looking awful and often felt kind of cheap). There also existed a few good ones but they were priced very high.

Dunno, there went quite some evolution and optimization into something like the latest Xbox controller.

But the Logitech GXXX mice are very good or a few serious trackballs or the IBM keyboard Model M

I didn't say you should buy that particular joystick now. I'm only saying that was the joystick I had back in the day, and it worked well enough for me at the time (although the hat switch never did anything in any game I ever had).

I don't know why you'd want to lay your shoulder into a PC joystick. It always annoyed the crap out of me when I'd go to Toys 'R' Us or Best Buy or something years ago and the demo console's controllers' thumb sticks were screwed up from people treating them badly. Also, I'd imagine the reason why old arcade cabinet joysticks were (apparently) very durable maybe has something to do with that they basically were oversized Atari controllers (meaning very simple construction) and were very regularly serviced and maintained.

Maintained, simple constructions, higher quality materials and surrounded by some serious mass.

Maintained, simple constructions, higher quality materials and surrounded by some serious mass.
Yes, well part of my point is that the consumer isn't going to perform regular such maintenance on a joystick. If a person's income was directly affected by the proper functioning of an arcade machine, they're highly motivated to regularly check to make sure it works well.

Also, it very likely wouldn't be analog (hence my comparison to Atari 2600 joysticks, as they were digital)

cM030uAzLiw

I associate most of these home analogue joysticks with a dark age of input devices. Looking at my mouse and keyboard, they are years old and still work without any sign of wear. The Atari home joysticks shipped in two qualities, one was good and lasted quite a bit (much more precise if you removed the covering from the plastic mechanics too), the other one was rubbish right from the start.