Sign in to follow this  
nicholsonmatt

Initial roster selection

The Twitter conversation went like this...

Me: "I started my first game of MASSIVE CHALICE and I was given all caberjacks. I didn't get very far. Am I missing something?"

Brad: "it's totally random! You can recruit new heroes and get new heroes from mission rewards to solve class imbalances! :D!"

So instead of continuing the conversation on Twitter, maybe this is something for the forum. I'd like to see the randomness for the initial roster selection changed from "total" to "constrained." It really isn't any fun having to deal with exploding monsters when all you've been given are melee characters. An initial roster with 0 class diversity is not good. Like X-COM, this seems to be a game where there's strength in diversity so it's kinda lame to be set up for failure from the get-go. I don't doubt that more experienced players would be able to get through the initial battles with no class diversity but, you know, it was my first game of MASSIVE CHALICE and it wasn't exactly encouraging to be set up that way.

Basically, this scenario sets up a situation where I'm tempted to just restart the game to get a better mix of classes, even possibly restarting multiple times. That can't be good, right? If a proportional mix of classes is enforced from the start then you'll eliminate the possibility of people trying to manipulate the roster by restarting the game.

Also, the scenario really did make me think that either a) I encountered a serious bug or b) I missed something in the UI that would let me re-class people. It may be "totally" random but it *appeared* as if it wasn't just because I hit what was probably an extremely rare case. All I'm suggesting is that some of those rare cases be pruned from the tree, dropped from the pot, however you want to express it.

There is a post around here somewhere, where Brad says he really likes the randomness of that initial start, but a fair number of the beta players don't quite seem to like it, and do lots of rerolling to get a better mix. I'd probably lean toward 'constrained' to make most people happy -- unless we can be given the option of 'constrained initial roster' vs 'random initial roster', during setup, just like when you decide if you want the game to have thematic or nonthematic bloodlines. Because I kind of would dig it at as an advanced setup option to have it not be so balanced, just like in Xcom advanced options you can make it so new recruits have more wild variances in their aim, will, etc if you want it ("Not created equal" or something like that).

Smiles

There have been a handful of threads about this, but I think the one Smiles is referring to is here

Oh, my bad. I only went through the first page of this forum looking for something similar. I guess since it's a duplicate then it can be closed?