Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Frijoles

Debugging Information

I found a way to enable debug mode, which spits out a whole lot of information to the screen (there's a debug panel). If any modders want to have a look, you have to modify a line of LUA to enable debug mode:

/Data/Scripts/GameScreen.lua at line 304:

elseif 1==1 then -- DFSpace.isDev() or g_bAllowDebugInRelease then

Basically I commented out the if statement and set it to always true. Alternatively you could remove the if statement, but this allows me to change the code back fairly easily. Once you enable it, you can press F4 to bring up the data. F1 - F3 brings up more data. Clicking on different objects shows you a lot more data. The NPCs even have experience graphs.

I think it mucked up alt-f4 though, so the close button has to be used (or save and quit, but I try not to save).

You can also enable dev mode without having to edit any lua scripts. Just set

"dev_mode": true

in your bootconfig.cfg file (located alongside your savegames)

Now you're diggin in the source files, you could document all the secret dev hotkeys we have :)

I'll probably get around to that eventually, but somebody can beat me to it.

Now you're diggin in the source files, you could document all the secret dev hotkeys we have :)

I'll probably get around to that eventually, but somebody can beat me to it.

yes and there is a game length that points at the game expects the max length of time before the game is over is 3 hours...

I adjusted it to 6 but now can't seem to locate it :/ (should have wrote it down)

EDIT:

Found it, the line changed. :P

starting at line 33 in the EventControler.lua

-- final siege after 4 hours

EventController.nFinalSiegeTime = 60 * 60 * 4

-- Cap playtime at 8 hours with regard to difficulty and various curves

EventController.nMaxPlaytime = 60 * 60 * 8

I'm working on a way to mod in a game length option in the starting / setup screen where you accept the location in the galaxy map. I was thinking a ridal button or dial option to select 'short' (4 hours play time), Medium (8 hours play time), Long (16 hours play time), Epic (36 hours play time), Marathon (72 hours play time). This change will make it MUCH easier to create a time select for game length. Thanks for the change DF! :D

Anyone tested is this doable:

** "mods" subdir where user-created scripts patch base game lua files at runtime

If yes, then we can develop our own mods, without being overwritten by any patch updates.

Anyone tested is this doable:

** "mods" subdir where user-created scripts patch base game lua files at runtime

If yes, then we can develop our own mods, without being overwritten by any patch updates.

As far as I knew, there wasn't any 'Mods' subdir implemented into the game... if there was, it is news to me and good news! :D

If it is confirmed that no, it isn't then we need to 'mod' in this modification so it is easier for everyone in the future. (Hoping DoubleFine will add this if it isn't there in one of these final bug fix patches...)

I see.. I request Double Fine to alter the LUA_PATH (in the .exe?) to check Scripts/Mods (not sure the proper folder) folder first and Scripts folder second. Hopefully sooner, yeay. ☺

Sign in to follow this