• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
rafadelascuevas

Framerate issues on the WiiU version

Hi! First of all, thank you very much to the team for making Costume Quest 2 a reality. CQ 1 is one of my favorite games of the past generation and this one seems as funny, inspired and charming.

That being said, I'm disappointed with the WiiU version. The framerate is... weird, to say it politely. It's a little heartbreaking to see this amazing characters and backgrounds moving with so little fluidity.

Furthermore, when the combat starts, it really feels odd. When you have to nail a button press, the movement of the circle is janky; It's really difficult to time it correctly. And sometimes I feel like the final animation in special moves is like 3 frames (ok, maybe more, but it looks ugly).

Again, I love the characters and overall design, but I hope there's a patch coming to fix this. It's really uncomfortable to play it right now :/

I get the same. Another example: for the "getting candy" cutscenes after knocking on a door, the visuals, sound and rumble all happen at different times.

Too add to the mentioned issues, I'm also getting some noticeable sound problems. Ambient sound effects like rain or time portal sounds are triggering at the completely wrong areas. For example, in the bayou town, half the time instead of the crickets, I'm hearing rain. I'm pretty disappointed in the quality overall. :(

i have also noticed these framerate issues on the WiiU. I really like the game. I have to say however that the port seems to have been done rather sloppy. The sound glitches reach from unfitting like the rain to unbearable. Near portals a static noise is sometimes played that sounds like the sound system was fried and lasts for several minutes.

Although these are rather annoying bugs I still enjoy this game immensely. I hope that at least the sound issues can be fixed.

These issues are a bummer, but there is a patch on the way that should improve the framerate, some sound issues and will also add Off-TV play!

These issues are a bummer, but there is a patch on the way that should improve the framerate, some sound issues and will also add Off-TV play!
When on TV, will the WiiU gamepad have the menu, a clone of what's on the TV or some kind of static artwork?

Thank you so much! We'll wait ^_^

Extremely glad to hear there is an update coming... the strange framerate issue makes it practically unplayable, it's headache inducing!

Extremely happy to hear about the patch! Off-TV play is a major benefit of purchasing for the Wii U. And with the framerate fix incoming, I will wait to play until the patch is out to have the best experience (but I did purchase on release day to support DF and WiiU development).

Is there any chance we can know if the patch has been submitted?

I can't wait to play the game again with a more stable frame rate. It makes a world of a difference. I would always choose frame rate over resolution.

I'm so glad to hear this is being patched. I Purchased it first on the PC but bought the WiiU version to support that system and you guys again, but the difference in the two versions I was playing was almost breathtakingly shocking. After playing Bayonetta 2, I was finding it hard to believe that the WiiU wasn't capable of maintaining over 20fps for long periods of times in CQ2. Going to a door for trick or treating and 90% of the battles put me around 8fps. Also when it would lag badly, I would get a sound glitch. That was the version I was having my 7 year old play (to keep him away from Dad's PC of course) and he was getting Motion Sickness when they were on the skates!

Still a fan of this company to the end, but I was saddened by this.

Echo Thought's sentiments 100%. I understand that the Wii U is (apparently) annoying to develop for in a cross-platform release, but if you're going to do something, do it properly or don't do it at all. Wii U CQ2 just screams "careless port" to me, it's virtually unplayable... I would have just got the PC version if I knew it was such a mess, but I'm not going to pay for it twice! Now, by the time this patch is released, really the moment for CQ2 has kinda passed.

Now, by the time this patch is released, really the moment for CQ2 has kinda passed.

I know EXACTLY what you mean there. For me, Costume Quest requires leaves falling outside and warm apple cider (and random other Fall Related stuff). "The season is the reason," you could say. Now that it's been snowing where I live for the last week, it seems I can try out Grubblins on Ice on my iPad earlier than I thought I would this year. :)

I don't think it was a rumor considering it was mentioned by a DF employee:

Aaahhh... Hopefully it's still coming, that they haven't given up on it. I'm waiting for the patch until I play it again.

The first post on twitter of a patch coming was almost a month ago. So if it is not a rumor, do we have any ETA on when it will be live? Trying to play a game where damage is determined based on timing, when the timing can't be consistent due to the frame rate, is well, just disappointing for a series that I really enjoy.

Hi, all. There's no ETA but we submitted a patch a while ago so we're just waiting for it to be approved.

Hi, all. There's no ETA but we submitted a patch a while ago so we're just waiting for it to be approved.
Sweet. Waiting on buying this until it's patched. Post Halloween is less awesome, but I'll enjoy nonetheless.

Thank you very much for the update!! So excited!!!

First, thanks for the latest patch. It clears up the sound glitches. Framerate and lag seem better too when I played today.

Did the off-tv get pulled from this patch or is it coming in another future patch?

Thanks again!