Sign in to follow this  
DF Brad

MASSIVE CHALICE Beta Patch 0.83: Now with 100% more MAC n LINUX!

MASSIVE CHALICE Beta Patch 0.83.1.1.751542

We're propping it to Steam right now!

We spent a lot of time this week getting the Mac and Linux builds off the ground! We'd love to have your help testing these new platforms. Thanks! :D!

Thanks to EVERYONE who has been testing the build. Also special shoutout to everyone who's been streaming on Twitch! It really helps us adjust the game if we can watch people play it LIVE! :D!

BALANCE CHANGES

GOOD GUYS

Alchemist Relic Flask Crits - Alchemist Flasks thrown can now deal Critical damage. This uses the standard crit % chance and damage % as the base Thrower.

Alchemist Free Throw with Cadence Weapons - Free Throw now supports the two Cadence Throwers: Anarchy Slinger and Pillar Pitcher.

Ramcap Caber - Collision damage was at 2x for knockback attacks! This was out of control. We’re reigning it in to 1x damage for now, but it might still be a little high. We’re keeping an eye on this one!

Hunter Chalk One Up - Bonus reduced to +5% damage per kill. Added a hard cap of +50% damage (ie 10 kills).

Wünderpants - Now protects from memory loss (XP) attacks from the Lapses as well as aging attacks from the Wrinklers!

Fainthearted / Avenger Cap - Set the max cap to +/-50% when stacking Fainthearted or Avenger. This is really only relevant in the Final Battle! :D

NOTE: we’re still looking into Alchemist buffs! Please explore the Alchemist as much as possible and keep sending your feedback. It’s really helpful!

BAD GUYS

Advanced Twitcher Swap - Fixed a bug that was stopping Advanced Twitchers from using their Swap ability.

Advanced Twitcher Knockback - Fixed a bug that was stopping Advanced Twitchers from dealing Knockback damage to their targets.

Twitcher Knockback - Added a 1 turn cooldown for Twitcher and Advanced Twitcher Knockback attacks.

FINAL BATTLE

Spoilers in white text below!

Less Waves! - There are now only 5 waves instead of 10 in the Final Battle.

More Frequent Waves! - Waves now spawn in every 3 turns, down from every 5 turns.

Flatter floor! - Removed some of the pits in order to give the enemies and players some more breathing room in this battle.

Chalice Attacks! - Enemies now attack the Chalice much more aggressively!

NOTE: we’re still looking into ways to make the Final Battle better! Please keep submitting save games and feedback!

TECHNICAL STUFF

Mac and Linux Builds! - We’ve propped our first Mac and Linux builds! They’re still in the early phases of testing but we wanted to get them out to you ASAP! See below for a full list of Known Issues about these builds.

“F” key works while hovering - Added the ability to “Shift Position” for a melee attack while you are hovering over an enemy. Hover over a valid target and press F a few times, then right click! BAM! KNOCKBACK! :D

Keyboard shortcuts for Cam Zoom - Mapped R and T to zoom the camera in and out. (note: you might have to delete your "prefs.sav" file to get these changes!)

Options for “Lock Cursor to Window” & “Use Edge Scrolling” - Added these two options that are super useful for tuning your setup when playing in Windowed mode or Borderless Window mode.

TONS of small visual improvements - For sure there are too many to list, but our art team has been doing a great job of adding polished textures and lighting to the game!

BUG FIXES

Tons of enemies crash fix - Fixed a crash that could occur when more than 40 enemies were visible on the screen at once.

Flarrow Softlock - Fixed a bug that could cause the game to become completely unresponsive after firing a Hunter’s Flarrow.

Child Regents - Child Regents are now only allowed when CONTINUING an existing Bloodline. You can no longer start a new Bloodline with a Child Regent.

Bookworms! - The Bookworm genetic trait is now a personality trait.

Fainthearted Trait - Fixed a bug that was causing Fanithearted to buff your heroes instead of debuffing them!

Random Events and the Timeline - Some random events can now create events on the Timeline.

Deployment Lighting - Fixed the lighting in the deployment screen to be consistent.

Beards!!!- Fixed a bug that could cause an Old Hunter’s beard to float off of his face.

ESC not working bug - Fixed a bug that might cause your ESC key to not bring up the main menu.

NaN kills - Fixed a bug that could show your total kills as “NaN” in the mission results screen.

MAC AND LINUX

These builds are super early but we'd love your help getting some testing on them! Please be aware that they are are early and they might be destroyed. Please submit your bugs on our bug forum! Thanks! :D!

Unsigned Build - The game has not been "Signed" so you may need to click through an preferences authorization on first launch from steam

No Mouse Wheel Support - Use T and R to zoom camera - mouse wheel is not yet supported.

Windowed Mode - Windowed mode works in 1280x720. Other resolutions may have UI/mouse pointer bugs.

Unsupported Borderless Window Mode - Borderless window mode is not supported (currently crashes)

Fullscreen issues! - Fullscreen mode is buggy. Dont switch resolutions while in full screen.

Enter on Save Game Naming Issues - Try not to hit Enter when typing in your save game name, just use the mouse to click the buttons. This is causing various issues that we're looking into.

Lighting Artifacts - There are some black bar stripes on the lighting from the torches and in the chalice room.

Linux Only: Visit Forums Link - This link might be broken on the Linux build. Please go to http://http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewcategory/53/

Good stuff! Can't wait to see how these changes improve it.

But I must mention my greatest disappointment, when can we get the final battles music hooked up? It feels so barren without the smooth tunes the rest of the game has.

“F” key works while hovering - Added the ability to “Shift Position” for a melee attack while you are hovering over an enemy. Hover over a valid target and press F a few times, then right click! BAM! KNOCKBACK! :D

Awesome! I tried to do that every time.

Seems like a great patch overall.

Missed this post. Thanks for the Linux build! :D Can't wait to check out the game.

Awesome!

But the mouse pointer is off in resolution 1280x800 on Mac and I'm unable to change the resolution. Trying to do so means insta-crash and 1280x720 isn't even in the list of possible resolutions.

But hey... Beta! \o/

Awesome!

But the mouse pointer is off in resolution 1280x800 on Mac and I'm unable to change the resolution. Trying to do so means insta-crash and 1280x720 isn't even in the list of possible resolutions.

But hey... Beta! \o/

I'm having the same issue (also on a Mac).

I've tried looking through the config files, and I don't see a way to manually change the resolution to 1280x720. Total bummer - I'm dying to try the game!

Still, thanks for putting out a Mac version, and for all the other hard work you're doing on MASSIVE CHALICE! :D

You can still play with the issue in 1280 x 800. I'm like 60 years in. It's slightly annoying, but not too bad once you get the hang of it

Yay, thanks for the Linux build! :D

Can't wait to check it out when I get home from PAX Aus \o/

Have fun at Day of the Devs!

You can still play with the issue in 1280 x 800. I'm like 60 years in. It's slightly annoying, but not too bad once you get the hang of it

I hope me previous post didn't sound sarcastic. I really like the game and it's absolutely possible to play like that - but I'll just wait for a beta with a fix for this problem instead of spoiling my MC experience with that annoyance.

I'm actually having a bit of a hard time getting accustomed to the bug... Moving the mouse over "End turn", for example, will only trigger a short glow effect on mouse-over (i.e. mouse-below in the current situation) instead of some constant highlight that would indicate that the mouse is still over the UI element. This, in combination with the bug, spoils the experience for me since I'm struggling against the UI instead of the AI.

But again: it's a beta. :)

Check the file called screen.dat. It should be located with your steam save games. Usually here on mac:

~/Library/Application Support/Doublefine/MassiveChalice/screen.dat

and on linux:

~/.local/share/Steam/userdata/doublefine/massivechalice/screen.dat

The following settings might help you:

windowMode = 2

width = 1280

height = 720

If this doesn't work (full screen 1280x720), try window mode:

windowMode = 1

width = 1280

height = 720

More support should be coming soon! Thanks for your patience!

Dan

Yeah, I've still got the Fullscreen issue. It crashes instantly with just a black screen and a cursor.

Check the file called screen.dat. It should be located with your steam save games. Usually here on mac:

~/Library/Application Support/Doublefine/MassiveChalice/screen.dat

and on linux:

~/.local/share/Steam/userdata/doublefine/massivechalice/screen.dat

The following settings might help you:

windowMode = 2

width = 1280

height = 720

If this doesn't work (full screen 1280x720), try window mode:

windowMode = 1

width = 1280

height = 720

More support should be coming soon! Thanks for your patience!

Dan

Didn't change anything for me. Strange.

But thanks anyway.

Yeah, it seems like any attempt to increase (really, change) the resolution on a Mac fails spectacularly (the actual game screen only shows up in the lower left corner of the screen (whether fullscreen or window). Then the game hangs or crashes.

I am able to play the game at the initial resolution (128x720), which is pretty small on a retina iMac 27" screen. Looking forward to a Massive Chalice that runs at 5k :)

BTW, the screen.dat file had the proper resolution listed, so changing that didn't seem to help.

We're looking into these problems! I hope that we can have them addressed in a new patch by the end of the week. Thanks for sticking with us! :D!