Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  

dear <your deity>, please roll back two versions

I really don't know what they thought when they introduced the affinity system.

The tantrums and what-not made it only worse.

Losing is fun? Sir, no, sir!

When I'm racing against three variables...

- depression from lack of fun and socialization (pub+gym)

- basicly everyone is a gaurmant (depression from synthFood)

- constant attacks and infections

...without being able to do anything about it, it is me who's throwing a tandrum.

The game was really promising in it's early stages, but why oh why has it dropped down to 33% tops fun (my opinion)?

As it is, not recomended.

...without being able to do anything about it, it is me who's throwing a tandrum.

The game was really promising in it's early stages, but why oh why has it dropped down to 33% tops fun (my opinion)?

Well since nobody on the DoubleFine forums has expressed an interest in the gift copy of SpaceBase that I hold for modding purposes, I may well activate it to put into my library and get an up to date version for modding purely to see if I can't help untangle the mess that DoubleFine have left behind, but frankly if I make a serious inroads into it (and if I'm sufficiently motivated, that's eminently possible), I'll almost certainly fork the damn LUA after a certain point. I see absolutely no reason why DF should profit from me putting in a few hundred hours cleaning up their mess.

There are other people starting tentative mod efforts as well, so keep your eyes peeled, we'll see what comes. Oh I wish so desperately for Steam Workshop at this point.

If you have the time, I think the people who would benefit the most are actually those you feel were wronged by DF. Take the high road and get stuck in.

If you have the time, I think the people who would benefit the most are actually those you feel were wronged by DF. Take the high road and get stuck in.

Not for free. Sorry, but there's no way in gods green earth I will permit DoubleFine to profit off of any bugfixing I do without me getting paid as a result. There's many more deserving uses of my time and many more people who actually are grateful for my company and efforts, and who have been receptive to criticism and feedback that I've provided along the dev cycle. Untangling the wreck of LUA would be full on commercial QA and under those circumstances if I made -genuine- progress and was able to show results, I'd want recompense.

Mercenary? Yep. But that's what happens when there's several projects I could viably put my time towards and this one whilst intriguing and complex, would only be worth pursuing from a monetary angle at this stage. Nothing I could do now would meaningfully salvage the developmental efforts of the game, I won't get the SpaceBase I -wanted-, or paid for to begin with. I'd love for DF to actually put some love into this game and at least make it so that the security system was more fleshed out, that there was more entertainment options for the colonists, that there was education for them, that research was meaningful. These are not big asks, and they would have made DF-9 feel more complete. But it won't happen. Supporting a dead project doesn't feel like a great pitch :(

Side note - Steam workshop support, I'd now go so far as to say it's mandatory. If you need any further proof, take a look at Banished's mod support. That way even if people like those on the forum can't, or people like myself won't, or the efforts in general prove abortive, you'll find that having a unified place to -gather- those efforts will generate some level of momentum. That's really, really needed.

Side note - Steam workshop support, I'd now go so far as to say it's mandatory. If you need any further proof, take a look at Banished's mod support. That way even if people like those on the forum can't, or people like myself won't, or the efforts in general prove abortive, you'll find that having a unified place to -gather- those efforts will generate some level of momentum. That's really, really needed.

Wait what, Banished's workshop is littered with copies of copies. Some even have said that there is an error in game that can be accidentally pressed and it posts mod into workshop. I'd also argue how do you mod a lua file if when you go about downloading multiple mods that just overwrite each other. Next thing you got is people moaning and groaning about their mods not working.

Here's a better idea. Assign some steam moderators and make a Mod section on forums. There all done =p

Yea I'm pretty much in the same boat. Loved playing the game until they introduced this mess. The game became less about building a base and now almost entirely about keeping people happy. It's no longer Space Base, it's Space Mayor. How many of my citizens can I keep happy, not what do they need. I was hoping they'd tune down the affinity to only be part of what you planned for or built and not the only reason to plan for and build.

Wait what, Banished's workshop is littered with copies of copies. Some even have said that there is an error in game that can be accidentally pressed and it posts mod into workshop. I'd also argue how do you mod a lua file if when you go about downloading multiple mods that just overwrite each other. Next thing you got is people moaning and groaning about their mods not working.

Here's a better idea. Assign some steam moderators and make a Mod section on forums. There all done =p

That'll get fixed. Workshop support > No workshop support, people will be moving their mods into the workshop for ease of distribution and maintenance.

Sign in to follow this