Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Efyian

[Game Suggestions & Balance] From a TBS Vet, playing first game of Massive Chalice

At time of this post, it was Year 87

Balance

1. Hunters are too good. Specifically, stealth is ridiculous.

Using an army of 5 hunters into shooting rage, eliminate the enemies that are close by, then go into stealth and advance forward again.

Year 87, I still haven't lost any heroes in combat yet.

Suggestions

1. The ability to raze a building and construct a new one.

I built all my keeps on the outer edges of my territory. now I'm worried that if I lose my outer territories, I may end up in trouble, since my heroes would stop having babies.

Admittedly, this may lead to issues with say... someone focusing on tons of troop trainers so that they can rush for high level heroes, then razing them and building keeps and research facilities etc. Maye if a territory is razed, you can choose to relocate the keep or building there into another territory?

2. More hero classes! Healers, mages, etc!

3. Currently, all children have the same class as the regent. While this makes it easy for me (to mass a huge hunter army), this really shouldn't be the case.

For me personally, I don't have any caberjacks because I didn't realize this. I'm managing just fine without them, but it is a it odd to completely lose 1 class type like that.

And since houses are continued with the children of that house, you can't change the class type that gets produced...

4. Ability to hide show/hide heroes, or put certain heroes at the bottom of the hero list so you don't need to see them.

For hero management

Balance

1. Hunters are too good. Specifically, stealth is ridiculous.

I think the MC Team mentioned they have Hunters about where they want them to be, and now they are focusing on making the Alchemist and Caberjacks more in line so things are on the level. But I'm sure we'll see quite a few more balances in the next dozen patches.

2. More hero classes! Healers, mages, etc!

Hybrids will be patched in, which are a combo of two classes. So you could have a Caberjack Hunter that some skills of both, etc. You can also sort of make your Alchemist into a support healer, by researching specifics items and selecting specific skills -- allowing them to carry more health vials and to toss them onto your heroes.

No other classes are planned for version 1.0, but who knows what the future holds! I can say that "mages" are not likely to make it in even after a 1.0 release -- the MC Team has wanted to stay away from traditional fantasy tropes as much as a possible.

3. Currently, all children have the same class as the regent. While this makes it easy for me (to mass a huge hunter army), this really shouldn't be the case.

For me personally, I don't have any caberjacks because I didn't realize this. I'm managing just fine without them, but it is a it odd to completely lose 1 class type like that.

And since houses are continued with the children of that house, you can't change the class type that gets produced...

I'll let others more familiar with playing and the mechanics to respond to this.

Smiles

Went a bit crazy with playing this game today.

It's now turn 244 (very near the 300 turn ending!)

I've lost 2 territories so far (1 research, 1 hero trainer).

current building spread is 4 keeps, 2 hero trainers, and 2 research buildings

- Heroes are starting off at level 8 when they come of age (hindsight: I should of had 3, rather than just 2 of those hero trainer buildings).

- It seems I went overkill on research. You don't need every tech in this game, and yet I'm pretty close to having all of them...

Despite having 1 alchemist castle and 3 hunter castles, my army ended up always being 5x hunters, equipped with veil armour (so they can go invisible anywhere), crossbows / relic bows, and either +10% XP item, +15 accuracy or +20 dodge.

Still haven't lost a single hero in battle yet - not even in sieges.

I didn't even realize you could get relics till much later so unfortunately, I only have 3 relics right now (1 level 10, 1 level 5, 1 level 4 -I actually should have 4, but 1 went missing with a hero). Farming relics isn't that hard. Just feed kills into a hero until he/she gets a title, and when that hero dies you get one.

Or maybe it's easy for me because of the long distance ranged attacks my 5 hunters have, so I can pick who gets the last hit.

[balance/Suggestion]

1. Despite your post Smiles, I still firmly believe hunters are stupidly OP when massed up right now. There's too many synergies between their abilities, combined with the silly AI.

There are 3 synergies that are making a 5x hunter army stupidly good

- veil armour for permanent invisibility (basically lets you set up all your units in perfect attack range before you strike). This equipment is just way too good.

- hunter level 6 ability on the left side (flare arrows or whatever) allows you to scout out everything in advance, and keeps that location lit for a few turns.

Furthermore, it blinds all enemies in a wide area for 1 turn. You can use this to blind those 50hp bulwarks, and they can't attack you (and you attack them this turn so you can kill them the following turn).

- Hunter level 8 ability on the left provides extended range, so you can attack enemies while they can't even see where you're at, leaving the AI running around like headless chickens.

2. The AI needs work against a hunter army. I imagine it's very good against short ranged armies using melee and alchemists. But it's terrible against a hunter army, but it never actually attacks (in large part because it can't detect/see the invisible hunters)

More suggestions

1. Please mark heroes who have relics. Currently you got to memorize the name of the heroes who have them.

There were a few times where I accidentally gave a hero 2 relics because I didn't check.

2. Linked to #1, when you give a hero a relic, it should be equipped by default, rather than needing you to go to the hero to equip the relic after giving it.

1. "Sort by: relic" already in the game

2. Should probably be done.

From #1:

In the main hero screen access from the Chalice, it is.

However, I'm pretty certain that it's not for the screen where your hero dies, and you're conferring a relic to another hero (from what I can remember, it offers only 3 options: experience, age, ??? (class?)

More Suggestions

3. Could a 'set as default' option be available for equipping heroes? Having to equip every newborn hero with equipment every single generation is quite annoying.

4. Before a keep defense / keep battle, allow the user to equip the Regent and Partner (and pick skills).

No other classes are planned for version 1.0, but who knows what the future holds! I can say that "mages" are not likely to make it in even after a 1.0 release -- the MC Team has wanted to stay away from traditional fantasy tropes as much as a possible.

That's probably my biggest gripe with the game so far, three classes only. Would have loved to see at least 4 classes, preferably 5, in 1.0. I think 5 is the sweet spot when it comes to variation of classes in games like this.

The ones that are in the game are fun though. Just want more.

That's probably my biggest gripe with the game so far, three classes only. Would have loved to see at least 4 classes, preferably 5, in 1.0. I think 5 is the sweet spot when it comes to variation of classes in games like this.

The ones that are in the game are fun though. Just want more.

Agreed, I was disappointed early on when we saw one of the other potential classes cut. But we can't have everything. :) But I look forward to seeing how Hybrids impact everything. And I'll cross my fingers and press my thumbs and hope MC does well enough for something else in the future.

Smiles

True, but if you're trying to keep tabs on where all of your relics are, there's currently no place to find an unfiltered list of all of your heroes to sort by relic. You have to go into the chalice screen, sort your active heroes by relic, then click through Regency, Standards, and Trainees to see all the people who could possibly have a relic, and on each tab you have to pull open the individual hero information tabs to check for relics because nothing shows you where the relic-carrying heroes end and the relic-less heroes begin on the sorted list.

True, but if you're trying to keep tabs on where all of your relics are, there's currently no place to find an unfiltered list of all of your heroes to sort by relic. You have to go into the chalice screen, sort your active heroes by relic, then click through Regency, Standards, and Trainees to see all the people who could possibly have a relic, and on each tab you have to pull open the individual hero information tabs to check for relics because nothing shows you where the relic-carrying heroes end and the relic-less heroes begin on the sorted list.

Us forum folks have tossed around the idea of some sort of "Armory" where you could see all heroes with relics. I'd like a screen like that. So, we'll see!

Smiles

I'd also like it if the keeps could fly the flags of the regents on the strategic map, so you can see which Keep has what regent (and therefore troops) without clicking.

Less clicks = better imho, in general.

Sign in to follow this