Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lukez

More firstimer feedback.

First I just want to say this is an amazingly complete and polished beta and a ton of fun. I would totally accept this as a 1.0 but am really glad to hear that more work will be going into it! I have the following constructive criticism after a few hours of play:

1. When moving heroes the destination square changes between white and yellow, it's a bit too subtle and can be really hard to see are certain terrains.

2. I think there needs to be a little more information in game about how breeding works. For example I didn't realize that children take their regents class until I built my 3rd keep. As a side note if anyone has a link to some complete info on this I would appreciate it!

3. I felt that time moved too fast. My main issue with this is that my heroes only get too fight a couple of battles before they die or I need them to become regents, standards, etc. This could probably be adjusted via an X-Com style second wave option that lengthens the game.

4. Due to above I felt it pretty hard to get attached to any of the heroes as they were pretty expendable. To be honest I don't remember the names of most of them. This desire might be due too taking the game in too much of and X-COM light though.

Couple Bugs:

- I often see seeds without their torso

- when scrolling around maps my view often shifts between colour and black and white. This can change alternate rapidly and be pretty jarring sometimes.

3. I felt that time moved too fast. My main issue with this is that my heroes only get too fight a couple of battles before they die or I need them to become regents, standards, etc. This could probably be adjusted via an X-Com style second wave option that lengthens the game.

4. Due to above I felt it pretty hard to get attached to any of the heroes as they were pretty expendable. To be honest I don't remember the names of most of them. This desire might be due too taking the game in too much of and X-COM light though.

MC is in an interesting position, since its heroes die, since I think it is setup for us get more attached to the awesome bloodline and relics, than individual heroes per se. I think most people are looking to get attached to heroes, because we've been conditioned that way from other tactical games without generations.

That said, I think more can be done to make heroes more memorable -- better family histories, hybrids, more interesting traits, more random events, throttling back the birthrate a touch, etc.

Re: the bugs, the seeds torso I think has been reported before, so go find the topic and post any information you have, or send some saves over. Re the other bug, I am not sure if that one has been reported, so feel free to look and report it.

Smiles

For the bugs:

- The seed display issue has been reported in the bug forum and is being worked on.

- The areas that are black and white are areas that you have seen once, but are currently behind the fog of war (unless everything is shifting to black and white, which I've never seen before)

For the suggestions:

1. I hadn't noticed this, since the border pops out to double size and I guess I'm just seeing that

2. I have the advantage of having watched all the team streams, but yes this is pretty unclear to first time players. Hopefully they get some more tutorial in there

3. I believe it is currently tuned to have a fight every 8-12 years, so if you're picking young folks, you could have 5 or even 6 fights with a character before they die of old age. If you're only getting a couple, you might be perpetually grabbing 40-year-olds to fill the ranks. Consider thinking of the future and putting in the 15-year-olds first.

4. Nicknames help with this, but it can be tough sometimes. Having a history of notable persons would be pretty cool.

MC is in an interesting position, since its heroes die, since I think it is setup for us get more attached to the awesome bloodline and relics, than individual heroes per se. I think most people are looking to get attached to heroes, because we've been conditioned that way from other tactical games without generations.

That said, I think more can be done to make heroes more memorable -- better family histories, hybrids, more interesting traits, more random events, throttling back the birthrate a touch, etc.

Re: the bugs, the seeds torso I think has been reported before, so go find the topic and post any information you have, or send some saves over. Re the other bug, I am not sure if that one has been reported, so feel free to look and report it.

Smiles

Yes that's a good point I think to look at the bloodlines as the character instead of the heroes. Better family histories would definately help to flesh those out. More traits sounds good too, though so far I have found they don't get inherited very often.

For the bugs:

- The seed display issue has been reported in the bug forum and is being worked on.

- The areas that are black and white are areas that you have seen once, but are currently behind the fog of war (unless everything is shifting to black and white, which I've never seen before)

For the suggestions:

1. I hadn't noticed this, since the border pops out to double size and I guess I'm just seeing that

2. I have the advantage of having watched all the team streams, but yes this is pretty unclear to first time players. Hopefully they get some more tutorial in there

3. I believe it is currently tuned to have a fight every 8-12 years, so if you're picking young folks, you could have 5 or even 6 fights with a character before they die of old age. If you're only getting a couple, you might be perpetually grabbing 40-year-olds to fill the ranks. Consider thinking of the future and putting in the 15-year-olds first.

4. Nicknames help with this, but it can be tough sometimes. Having a history of notable persons would be pretty cool.

1. Hadn't noticed the border size change, I'll look for that now!

2. Yeah that would be nice, though I'd be happy with a forum/blog post about it.

3. This might be better once I get a few more generations in then. I had almost only hunter's too start so I had to do a couple rounds of recruiting to get more classes so my average unit age was higher.

4. Definitely

RE: The second bug What might be happening is when I hover over the parts that are supposed to be black and white it covers the whole screen instead.

thanks for your response!

Sign in to follow this