Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thul

Bollocks! Besting Bulwarks is Brutal

Just finished my third game (I've been playing until first party wipe) and the Bulwarks are definitely my white whale. First battle (somewhere around year 35) wipes me. The Lapses and Ruptures were a threat, but mostly an annoyance, but the Bulwarks represent a quick shift out of easy-mode and require a more careful strategy. If it were just a few, I think I could manage it, but my party can't seem to handle the 5 or so on the map in combination with the swarming Ruptures. High hit points, accurate multi-hit attacks, and damage soak. Nasty stuff.

I am actually enjoying the challenge! Until they hit, it feels like the game is fairly straight forward (combat-wise). Making me rethink my starting game experience and how I select heroes for battle vs. duty.

I've been saving my "best" (meaning those with the least amount of bad traits) as my regents and/or partners, since I'd rather have 1 good hero breed 3 more good heroes rather than lose the gene pool on the battlefield, but that's leaving me with some serious scrubs doing the fighting in the meantime :D

Just finished my third game (I've been playing until first party wipe) and the Bulwarks are definitely my white whale. First battle (somewhere around year 35) wipes me. The Lapses and Ruptures were a threat, but mostly an annoyance, but the Bulwarks represent a quick shift out of easy-mode and require a more careful strategy. If it were just a few, I think I could manage it, but my party can't seem to handle the 5 or so on the map in combination with the swarming Ruptures. High hit points, accurate multi-hit attacks, and damage soak. Nasty stuff.

I am actually enjoying the challenge! Until they hit, it feels like the game is fairly straight forward (combat-wise). Making me rethink my starting game experience and how I select heroes for battle vs. duty.

I've been saving my "best" (meaning those with the least amount of bad traits) as my regents and/or partners, since I'd rather have 1 good hero breed 3 more good heroes rather than lose the gene pool on the battlefield, but that's leaving me with some serious scrubs doing the fighting in the meantime :D

I've taken to hitting them with my best ranged attacks, then using knockback to stun as many as I can each turn. The explosive cabers help immensely with that.

Heheh. Bulwarks are always tough when you first encounter them, but they quickly become manageable. Know that in the first version of the Beta they had 32 health :)

Sign in to follow this