Sign in to follow this  
KestrelPi

Feedback on Steam

It's clear to me that the vast majority of backers and people who have taken the plunge on Early Access so far are having a good time with the game. Lots of positive feed back, and lots of constructive ideas flowing - it feels like it's just where it should be.

There are lots of people in the Steam discussion forums throwing around a lot of negativity and cynicism right now, and some of that is understandable, sure, because people are still disappointed by DF-9 but some of it is just people kinda being jerks, which is a bummer, most of whom haven't played the game and aren't interested in finding out whether it's any good or not.

I've been responding to a lot of posts saying 'look, it's cool if you want to wait and see or something, but my experience is that this project has been great and the game is already fun and ready for a few months of polishing' but if people have the time or inclination, it'd be nice if you're enjoying the game if you could leave a positive comment or two on the forum.

Y'know, just if you want to. It just seems a shame that what's going on over there is really, really unrepresentative of how people are actually finding the game.

I think people posting their early access / beta reviews will help, and upvoting ones that seem genuine. I almost always tend to look at those when I purchase something relatively unfamiliar on Steam.

Smiles

One thing I wanted to clarify is that the way I think it's best to handle this now is rather than post in the negative threads going round, post new, positive threads if that's your inclination. We don't need those threads constantly being bumped to the top. Contribute to the constructive side of the discussion if you think there are good things to talk about (which I think we all do!)

Thanks guys! I definitely think positivity is the way to go! :D!

You can expect a good review from myself, once I've had more time with the game. I'm loving it, but I want to make sure the writeup I do does it justice. The art style alone has had me sit and simply orbit the camera just to examine things from different angles (yes, I'm a sucker for genuinely good and original design).

/Hobbes

I certainly find the game fun but it has pacing and balance issues I feel need to be addressed for any longevity. This can of course be fixed as this is early access and what releasing this early is all about.

I wish I could express myself clearly on how I feel about the game but I just can't seem to get my words straight on paper. Proper word flow just doesn't come naturally to me.

I wish I could express myself clearly on how I feel about the game but I just can't seem to get my words straight on paper. Proper word flow just doesn't come naturally to me.

Perhaps start with something simple to generate your feedback:

* What has been the most enjoyable so far? (e.g. strategizing combat; investigating bloodlines and heros; etc)

* What has been more tedious than fun so far? (e.g. finding proper partners for regents; hunting down the last cadence on a map; etc)

* When you stop playing the game, what do you still remember about it? What sticks in your head? Why do these items remain?

Smiles

Perhaps start with something simple to generate your feedback:

* What has been the most enjoyable so far? (e.g. strategizing combat; investigating bloodlines and heros; etc)

* What has been more tedious than fun so far? (e.g. finding proper partners for regents; hunting down the last cadence on a map; etc)

* When you stop playing the game, what do you still remember about it? What sticks in your head? Why do these items remain?

Smiles

The most fun? I really enjoy, at least initially, the bloodline cultivation! Taking an initial hero I like and raising them as regent is enjoyable and I feel proud when it works.

The most tedious and confusing is the very same thing I found fun. Managing bloodlines. The initial setup and idea is great but trying to balance keeping someone of the bloodline in the keep while keeping active hero's for combat is shockingly difficult with how fast the heros age and die. Now thematically this is interesting! A hero I grow to love becomes dust with time is something I don't have a problem with. However hero's can not actively breed without a keep or my input. So there is like this large swath of time where the heroes do nothing but age and die. So it is like watching these heroes waste away without being able to use them for something.

This problem compounds for me as managing the bloodlines is also something you have to be careful with. I have a very limited pool of heroes and a keep needs at least two of them of opposite genders to breed. I end up feeling like less of a rule guiding the fates of the bloodlines and more of a min/maxer numbers gamer trying to keep things going. This is helped by adoption or recruiting but it feels clunky and eats at my research.

Ok so I guess I found my issue! I am "gaming" the system for results rather than making choices that feel thematic or immersive. That might not be what DF is going for or I might be playing it wrong but I feel I have to kinda play a certain way to be viable. Like the bloodlines matter, but not in a story or thematic way but as a baby making machine you know? The heroes die far too quickly for me to get to attatched to which wouldn't be bad I could get attatched to the bloodlines. However the bloodlines have so far not felt all that different from each other so it feels more like a skeleton, or a bare bones system than anything.

I'm starting to ramble and maybe I should put this into it's own thead if I continue these thoughts? Also I am probably sounding more negative than I mean. I LIKE the game! I have high hopes for it! I just don't think, that if the game was released now, that I would have wanted to purchase it you know? Of course that is why it is in early access right now.

And while I encourage all of you create or participate in super positive threads if you feel so inclined, any thread that is focused on discussing the strengths AND the weaknesses of MASSIVE CHALICE is healthy and appreciated. Toxic threads are best handled by ignoring them, but all subjects/thoughts/opinions/and ideas about our game are genuinely valued.

Thanks for playing and providing such great feedback you guys!