Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Selke

New Traits & Personalities

A loooong time ago, the Perks 'n' Quirks thread (LINK) brainstormed on what would eventually become Traits and Personalities. With new traffic from the Beta combined with the fact that we now know how the game actually works, I figure now is a good time to solicit more suggestions. What have y'all got?

As a personal aside... From a design perspective, I prefer the Personalities with conditions attached (Avenger, Lone Wolf) over stat mods, which feel more like the jurisdiction of Traits. Curveballs like Reveler and Optimist/Pessimist are cute in moderation, as are stat mods based on unique training (Might of the Walrus). But this feels like fertile territory for fiddling with playstyle and tactical decision making that has yet to be dug into.

Personalities

Annoying: Enemies are more likely to attack this unit

Apt Pupil: Increased XP gain when higher-ranking allies are present

Graceful: Ability cooldowns reduced by 1 turn, but damage reduced when below max health

Insular: Stat bonus when near members of the same family, penalty when no family members are within range.

Nose for Trouble: Adds a small UI element indicating approximate # of enemies remaining (An army/a lot/a handful/a few).

Peacock: Improved offense but reduced defense when near member of opposite sex.

Persistent: Improved accuracy on the turn after a miss or glancing blow

Relentless: Improved accuracy & damage below 50%, 25% HP.

Resourceful: Chance of generating additional consumables (Alchemist items or accessories) at start of each turn

Ruthless: Strikes on Stunned targets always crit

Shot Caller: Reduces evasion of enemies within 3 tiles.

Spiteful: Increased accuracy against most recent attacker, reduced accuracy against all other enemies.

Sprinter: Improved movement range for first 3 rounds, reduced for subsequent 3. (Neutral afterwards. Let's not get silly here.)

Thorough: Kills by this unit count twice for Research purposes.

I'd love to see more in the game, so if there is a possibility...I'll see if I have anything else to add.

Smiles

Role Model: More likely to pass personality traits on (to trainees, maybe also to impressionable heroes?)

Chalice Sense: Will occasionally adopt a chalice-attuned baby if in a non-productive regency.

Oh this is fun! Let me give this a try...

Absent Minded: Sometimes loses focus. Decreases accuracy at random turns.

Abrasive: Allies have decreased defense if near this hero.

Adventurous: Improved defense if the hero sprints with no enemies visible.

Always Prepared: Carries one extra item, but reduced movement speed.

Apprehensive: Reduced accuracy until injured.

Appreciative: Improved offense/refresh cooldowns if an ally attacks/kills a creature that attacks this hero.

Attractive: Increased fertility but increased aggro.

Born to Lead: Improves teammates stats based upon his/her highest stat.

Cautious: Reduced movement speed if no enemies are nearby/visible.

Cocky: Increased exp until injured below half health.

Cooperative: Increased accuracy if attacking the same target as another ally.

Courageous: improved defense for each nearby enemy.

Compassionate: Can heal one teammate without costing a health potion.

Fatalistic: Decreased defense, Increased offense if something dies.

Farsighted: Increased vision and accuracy at a distance, reduced accuracy up close.

Frightening: Enemies have reduced accuracy when this hero kills something.

Incorruptible: Resistant to rupture corruption.

Inoffensive: Less likely to be targeted by enemies.

Lazy: Lowered stats.

Lifegiver: Can sacrifice hp to heal a teammate.

Loose Cannon: Can attack twice with reduced accuracy.

Masochistic: Increased damage when injured.

Meticulous: Increased chance to critical.

Nemesis: Does increased damage against a particular type of enemy.

Shield Sibling: Increased defense of both this hero and an ally if square to square with the ally.

Shot First: When attacked gets a free shot against the attacker first.

Shroud in Shadow: Enemies have reduced accuracy at range.

Small Frame: Less hp but faster.

Steady Aim: Increase accuracy if the unit hasn't moved the previous turn.

Sticky Fingers: Sometimes gains an item when attacking an enemy.

Stonewall: Resistant to stuns if s/he doesn't sprint.

Sucker!: Can make another unit ally or enemy in a nearby square take a hit meant for this hero.

Triage: Healing is twice as effective.

Oh this is fun! Let me give this a try...

Nemesis: Does increased damage against a particular type of enemy.

I like this one - because it gives you another thing to think about when choosing who to send into particular battles. I'd call it "[Enemy Name]'s Bane"

I think a lot of these are great ideas. I do wonder if maybe personality should be more variable and cause more specific fielding decisions (like KestrelPi pointed out above). This would help to individuate the heroes and potentially make us more attached. I'd also hope to have more unique traits/personalities come out of events because it deepens the strategic layer's impact!

Cautious: While the overall movement range is the same as other characters, the orange area is much bigger.

Brisk: While the overall movement range is the same as other characters, the orange area is much smaller.

Slacker: Reduced movement range when no other characters are near.

Greedy: Items like health vials are slightly more effective when the character use them on himself and slightly less effective when he use them on someone else.

Hay Fever: Reduced defence and accuracy when standing near or in grass.

Masochist: While still taking damage, standing in corruption gives a random buff that lasts one turn.

Cautious: While the overall movement range is the same as other characters, the orange area is much bigger.

I think this would have the opposite to intended effect, potentially. I tend to move my heroes about in action-point chunks, so I'll edge them forward to the orange limit, and then if nothing has happened, I'll edge them on a little further or move them into a better position.

With this trait, all would happen is that in my first move, I'd be able to move the person forward more, and then in the second the less, so it might actually feel like they're charging ahead, faster.

For cautious I'd have something like 'you can't use both action points to move' but in practice that'd probably be way too punishing, so maybe it would need to be something else. Maybe it could be 'Hero automatically stops if they spot a new enemy'

For cautious I'd have something like 'you can't use both action points to move' but in practice that'd probably be way too punishing, so maybe it would need to be something else. Maybe it could be 'Hero automatically stops if they spot a new enemy'

Exactly what I was thinking of suggesting.

This is a fun thread. An excuse to use fun words and insist that Philosophy get recognition! :D

Berserk: If at 5% or less hit point can not be killed except by a critical hit.

Coward: Retreats the first time damage is taken or another Hero is killed - whichever happens first.

Diseased: When killed inflicts 1 Acid tick to a melee attacker.

Dwarf: May not equip upgraded armors, gains a large evade bonus.

Farmer: May equip a Potato. A potato functions as a healing potion.

Lubricious: More fertile, regardless of age.

Orgulous: If higher level than all other applicants, becomes Regent automatically.

Philosopher: Double Intuition.

Practices Parkour: Gains increased movement the turn after running.

Scout: If concealed, is invisible.

Spoonerism: Yust for jucks. Tlus Pwo Intelligence. (How do you even say that?) (Alternate Apoonerisms will be Sccepted.)

Stoic: Starts each map with an armor bonus that decreases each time another Hero dies.

Thrifty: May equip an extra item.

Virulent: If killed in combat applies Diseased to all Heroes on the map.

Xenophobic: If on a map without a structure gains penalties. On a map with structures gains bonuses.

Unique one time traits.

Chalice Drinker: Powerful ability. Each time they jump into the Chalice they gain a random level 2 ability from another class which can be used once per map (for the Archer ability they gain the stealth move not double shot. For Alchemist they get 1 flask as a quick throw option).

Independent: Is controlled by the AI. Gains an XP bonus each time the hero survives a combat map. Can not be made Regent.

Truculent: If the Hero kills an enemy he may take another action.

Discarded Ideas. Emo... Insular is better, but not as funny. :)

Do we think there'll be a traits added to the game? I'd definitely like to see as many as possible, it would really add to the replayability to have a whole bunch of ones that might not come up for everyone in most games.

Favored Heir: Relics used by this hero gain additional XP.

Black Sheep: Relics used by this hero gain fewer XP.

Wouldn't berserk be better off as increasing damage output when suffering damage, but having an increasing chance to lose control, and randomly attack units near it, including friendlies.

A rampaging, berserk caberjack would be an incredible force of nature, but the randomness of it would make it a very hard tool to use.

If you get it right s/he could go on a rampage killing units after unit, but you lose control in favour of high damage.

very double edged.

I think it would be fun to have some personalities you can earn in the tactical battle.

Seen a Lot If a character is the only one left standing at the end of a battle. Maybe a major increase to damage resistance.

Team ______ If a group has three or more battles together, they earn a team name and get bonuses when they are near each other.

I think it would be fun to have some personalities you can earn in the tactical battle.

Seen a Lot If a character is the only one left standing at the end of a battle. Maybe a major increase to damage resistance.

Team ______ If a group has three or more battles together, they earn a team name and get bonuses when they are near each other.

These are good ideas but seem like they would come under Statuses, for a couple of reasons:

* They don't seem like the sort of thing you could pass down to a kid

* They are 'earned', and Statuses seem to be a place for 'earned' traits.

Another example of statuses that has been suggested are: 'Battle hardened' for if someone has fought more than a couple of battles to pass on extra XP to a child. And 'Green' so that someone who has never been in a battle passes on less XP.

I like to brainstorm about the possible personalities and genetic traits that would be cool to add to the game, so I did ^^.

The personalities need a good and a bad side to balance things out I figured. Here are some I came up with:

Professional: Shows you exactly how much damage he/she will do instead of a margin

Unprofessional: Shows a bigger margin of how much damage he/she will do.

Coöperative/Teamster/Teamplayer: Increased accuracy on a target previously hit by an ally.

Uncoöperative/Selfish: decreased accuracy on a target previously hit by an ally.

Brave: Slightly increased stats per enemy in sight

Coward: Slightly decreased stats per enemy in sight

Lucky: Increased accuracy and evasion.

Unlucky: Decreased accuracy and evasion.

Bulky: Decreased evasion, but increased resistance.

Slim: Increased evasion, but decreased resistance.

Ambitious: Like chalk one up, but 5%

Content: Like chalk on up, but -5%

Intimidating/Fearsome: Cadence attacks other target in sight first.

Inviting/Unalarming: Cadence attacks this target over other targets in sight.

Perfectionist: Increased stats while undamaged.

Slob: Gets one of your items randomly as a starting item during a mission, doesn't matter what starting item you gave him/her.

And some one-offs to finish it:

Born Leader: As the mark from the event (giving your adjacent allies bonus xp gain).

Average Joe: Nullifies some or all other personalities

One trick pony: Bonus accuracy with the first skill used each battle, but minus accuracy for each skill used after the first.

How about:

Cadence-attuned: : Gets bonus to crit/damage/accuracy when using a Cadence researched weapon.

Give some more reason to use those weapons rather than only using relics!

Also similar traits that could give bonuses to using particular armors.

Wouldn't berserk be better off as increasing damage output when suffering damage, but having an increasing chance to lose control, and randomly attack units near it, including friendlies. A rampaging, berserk caberjack would be an incredible force of nature, but the randomness of it would make it a very hard tool to use. If you get it right s/he could go on a rampage killing units after unit, but you lose control in favour of high damage.

Removed formatting for brevity.

While that works in a paper and pen role-playing game very well, I think it'd probably end up making the berserk character more frustrating to use than anything else. You only get five Heroes per map, a low level Berserker would probably end up getting himself killed or his own party killed.

I'd say rather that if you wanted to go the, risk based game play (which traits are kind of passive effects) the best way to accomplish this would be to have a ten turn down ability that costs you -5 hit points, but lets your Hero take an extra two actions. Simpler, easier to implement. A risk that you choose to play with.

I tried to think of a passive, hard to trigger ability, that will make the Character nearly unstoppable like the legendary Berserker. But Berserking wasn't exactly an uncontrolled rage, that's D&D ruining fantasy and history for the rest of us.

Travel Sickness: Upon traveling to a battle through the chalice, the hero must take the first turn to recuperate. Ha.

Okay, maybe not. But I do likely a mix of silly ones.

Smiles

I would personally like to see some that reflect more on the history of the bloodline itself.

X's Bane - If a hero in this house has killed so many of a certain Cadence (15 SEEDs by one hero) then those born of this bloodline have a chance to gain the Bane trait. Grants +5 damage against those types of enemies.

Cursed - If a house has lost many sons and daughters to a particular enemy (5 heroes all killed by Bulwarks) then they have a chance to be born with the Cursed trait. That enemy will select them for attack more often, and will gain +5% chance for a critical hit.

Survivor - This hero's predecessors always survived battles. This hero has +5 to HP

And Stay Down - This hero's predecessors have killed a huge amount of Cadence (over 50). After attacking a Cadence, if it still has less than 10 HP remaining, the hero has a chance to auto-kill the target.

Demigod - This hero's bloodline has never been killed in combat. Only activates after a century of survival. Hero has a chance to be born with +15 to accuracy, +5 to dexterity, +2 to Intelligence, and +5 to HP.

LT Dan - A member of this hero's family has fought, and died, in every single battle. Being near this hero provides huge stat buffs, but they will draw 100% aggro.

Travel Sickness: Upon traveling to a battle through the chalice, the hero must take the first turn to recuperate. Ha. Okay, maybe not. But I do likely a mix of silly ones.Smiles

I think you're on to something.

Motion sickness. During a "bad transport" from the Chalice where either the Hero's misjudged the landing, or a Hero was sick, has limited "run" distance, and suffers -10% accuracy for the first five turns. So it's not something you'll have every combat, and given how few combats can happen during a Hero's life, it may not ever happen, but when it does it's a notable limitation. Given that a bad Hero landing often coincides with being closer to monsters, this would be a handicap.

I haven't had a chance to play yet, so sorry if these ideas aren't quite right or have already been done, but what about:

Philandering (Male) - Greater chance for other bloodlines to have babies (with his traits)

No Can Defend Your Caberjack will never miss or get a glancing blow. When this Hero is below 20% health, their attack strength is doubled.

Dodge This Your Hunter will never miss a shot when adjacent to a Cadence. Shots at this range have a higher chance to Critically Hit

It's Alive Your Alchemist has a chance to start a battle with a special flask. This flask can revive a downed hero, or awaken a dead Cadence to fight on your side.

Can't Touch This Your hero has evaded so many melee attacks, they now have a permanent +25% to evasion.

Broad Side of a Barn You're hero has evaded so many ranged attacks, they will never be hit by normal ranged attacks (splash damage still counts)

Sign in to follow this