Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Void2258

New players confusion and awkwardness

There are a bunch of things I, as a new player, am unclear on.

1) Is there a cover system in this game? If so, what are the benefits? Is there half cover behind short things? If not, should I just ignore terrain?

2) Is there a way to have a unit go full defense? It sucks when you move, discover enemies you didn't know were there, and instantly lose a character. Having some way to respond would be nice.

3) Aside from the special bonuses, are there any advantages or disadvantages to different territories? Are there things I can do in territories aside from the research system (it seems really dumb to be able to do exactly 1 thing at a time)? The overmap is not really clear.

4) How inheritance works, what the stats do, etc. are not explained, so you just have to guess a lot.

5) The explanations for the various buildings and other research options are unclear and confusing. Can't really figure out how things work except by trying them and generally falling on your face from doing it wrong.

There are also some awkward control issues.

1) If you select an action, then decide to cancel it, the most logical motion is to right click. However, this is apparently confirms the action (can't tell you how many accidental alchemist bombs this has gotten me).

2) Persistent range indicators for abilities. To find out how far something goes I have to click on the ability, mouse around for a bit, and then not accidentally trigger it with right click. Some type of persistent display would really help streamline things.

3) Sometimes confusing trying to figure out if a movement is in range or not, since the ground grid cuts through spaces. Needs to match the move grid exactly, so you have no doubt if you will be able to move and attack or just move.

4) Calling the system where you build buildings and make items 'research' is confusing. Almost nothing in this tab is actually research.

5) It's unclear what you can do at any given time. There has to be a way to do more than 1 thing at a time, but I haven't been able to find it.

1) There isn't "cover" per se, but tall terrain features (like big rocks or undamaged shatter eggs) will block line of sight. This can be useful when a unit triggers dangerous ranged enemies or you need to safely get someone closer. There's an eye symbol that pops up next to the Cadence if you hover the cursor over a square that you can see them from, which can help give you an idea of whether or not they can see you. There's no half cover.

2) If you want to be able to respond, your best bet is not to sprint or to do so cautiously. If you half move and spot enemies, you can always see if there's a tall object within range to hide behind, tall grass to be "obscured" in, or just run back away from the enemy and hope they have to spend their turn chasing instead of attacking.

3) As far as I can tell, the only strategic difference between territories are the bonuses you can get from having buildings in the outer ring. That said, different territories have different maps and terrain when you fight in them, so if you know, for example, that you hate having to pick your way around Shatter Eggs in the southwest region (its name escapes me at the moment), then you can put something you're more willing to lose there.

4) Inheritance is a lot of guess work, and I suspect that's intentional to keep people from "solving" the breeding problem. In particular, I think traits like Lone Wolf and Pack Hunter could use a bit more detail so that you know what the conditions are to trigger the effect. If all else fails, most of the traits are reflected in the stat numbers for the hero, so you can compare those directly.

5) There are a lot of things that could use better descriptions. Off the top of my head, I couldn't tell whether "Haste Hooch" was a passive or consumable item until I researched it, and it was only after researching the Sponge Stone that I found out that it decreases max HP.

As well as line of sight, there are other terrain features depending on the map:

In the Salt Stacks there are these weird eggs which block your view, but if you hit them they still block your path but you can see and shoot past. If you destroy them completely you can move through

In the forest, there are these reeds you can hide in for increased evasion. (Alchemists can also learn how to plant these with a special type of flask at level 8.

There's another level with sort of smokey geysers which block line of sight some turns but not others.

Finally there's a level with a bunch of red exploding bushes.

So terrain is important, and also for Hunters if you don't have Veil armour, you need to move next to a wall of some sort to use stealth.

Sign in to follow this