Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ofidian

1 simple change may solve a whole lot of narrative and issues of feeling overwhelmed

So I initially had a post http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/15628/ that listed a lot of detailed ideas that would help with the narrative of the game.

While I still hold that many of the ideas in that topic are good I think I have found a way to solve a lot of peoples complaints in a way most people may not have expected.

Give us the ability to watch specific characters. What I mean by this is there is a favorite button or essentially a subscribe button. You can then visit your subscribe list to quickly access and remember your favorite characters. Anything that happened to the children would also take priority on your screen.

This way even though there are a lot of characters you still have the very specific ones you remember, you know they are good, and can have them take the lead through out their lives.

So I am hoping what I said makes sense? Tell me if you have ways of refining it or if it is even a good idea.

And most importantly, RENDER THE PIE. I can't believe they didn't fix that for Enemy Within. :P

On a similar note, giving the player a few different symbols that they can attach to the heroes to keep them straight would be nice. Then as heroes come of age you could put a symbol next to their name to remind yourself to put them on active duty, or prep them for regency/standard positions, or ship them off to the Sagewright's at the next vacancy, etc.

The nicknames that the characters get help a little with this, but that only comes up if they're actually on active duty and getting sufficient kills.

I agree, being able to place them in categories or giving them different attachable "badges" that mark what your goals for the character are would really help in the game.

These badges can be used for many different things.

1.) Prospective Regent

2.) Mighty Hero

3.) Prime for the Guild

4.) Experienced Standard

Those are just some of the basics. But you can get more detailed and the more detailed you get the better I think the game will feel without changing to much about the rest of the game.

Yeah, howabout you can get a bunch of 'medals' which you can award heroes, and you can reassign them atany point, and it might make a little difference to their stats or something, but also help you remember who they are.

Yep, it would really help them stand out from everyone else. The biggest factor of this though is that those badges have to show up where ever the character shows up. In battle it would sit above his head. In the menus it would sit by their name. If they become regent of a keep it would sit above the keep. A constant reminder of who they are and where they are so that you can track them at any stage of the game.

Yeah, howabout you can get a bunch of 'medals' which you can award heroes, and you can reassign them atany point, and it might make a little difference to their stats or something, but also help you remember who they are.

The Xcom medals thing was mostly silly (to me). Though our potential medal system would be slightly different, I am not sure I'd really want it. I'd rather have time go into more traits or something.

CK2 allowed you to simply 'favorite' characters, in the event log, when things popped regarding those characters, they were nice and noticeable. This doesn't quite translate to MC, since we don't have a lot of behind the scenes things going on, but creating a 'favorite' or 'honored group' might work.

Smiles

The Xcom medals thing was mostly silly (to me). Though our potential medal system would be slightly different, I am not sure I'd really want it. I'd rather have time go into more traits or something.

CK2 allowed you to simply 'favorite' characters, in the event log, when things popped regarding those characters, they were nice and noticeable. This doesn't quite translate to MC, since we don't have a lot of behind the scenes things going on, but creating a 'favorite' or 'honored group' might work.

Smiles

I don't even remember the XCOM medals thing.

So... is this like a Facebook Feed that streams while the game runs?

Imagine a Regent's stream.

So and so had a Birthday, reportedly the court painter's portrait of the event titled "The Last Supper" sold very well indeed.

So and so's cat tripped them this morning, the fall down the keep stairs was memorable less for injuries, and more for the horrific caterwaul.

So and so's armor took a beating during practice, he rode into town to hire a new Blacksmith.

So and so's court painter has gone on strike, as she is sick of painting dinner portraits for the Chef or the Regaent, calls them "Foolish Foodies", the local Guildhall could not be reached for comment.

Maybe the invisible/immortal Ruler (Read : player) could enter a Character body, and reincarnate in a new hero each time he dies, adding extra power to that hero.

And most importantly, RENDER THE PIE. I can't believe they didn't fix that for Enemy Within. :P

What pie?

It's a (relatively?) well-known screwup in XCOM 2012. Like the OP suggests for Massive Chalice, you can see your soldiers walking around the base if you zoom in and scroll around, and sometimes you'll see a couple chatting in the mess hall. One of them is heartily digging into some food with a fork and knife and visibly eating it, but there's nothing shown on his plate. I don't recall how it came to be known as pie rather than anything else.

Edit:

http://i.imgur.com/ELU9zmP.jpg

So... is this like a Facebook Feed that streams while the game runs?

Imagine a Regent's stream.

So and so had a Birthday, reportedly the court painter's portrait of the event titled "The Last Supper" sold very well indeed.

So and so's cat tripped them this morning, the fall down the keep stairs was memorable less for injuries, and more for the horrific caterwaul.

So and so's armor took a beating during practice, he rode into town to hire a new Blacksmith.

So and so's court painter has gone on strike, as she is sick of painting dinner portraits for the Chef or the Regaent, calls them "Foolish Foodies", the local Guildhall could not be reached for comment.

I suppose it would be kind of like a facebook feed. I was not thinking it would be as advanced as what you are saying. But it would mention birthdays. Coming of age. Levels and so forth. It is mostly just meant for you to be able to remember the character in case you had goals for him and you wont forget him.

"Oh right, that is the powerful caber from the Brick family. He just came of age and I wanted to level him up a few times and have him become regent."

Speaking of a detailed feed, I'd love to be able to drill down after a battle and see a log-style detailed report of what happened to any given character. List out every time they hit/glanced/missed an enemy and what the effects were, and every time they were hit. Give details on what was gained and lost, both on each hit and overall; i.e.: Tell me how much damage this hero actually put out, how much damage they took, and how much XP they gained and lost and how much they aged during that specific battle.

Some of these battles are taking a non-trivial amount of time, and the hero models are similar enough that when I have 2 hunters (with the same crest & similar names) and 2 alchemists (with the same crest & similar names) I may not remember who did what. Being able to access the log in the middle of the battle would give a very nice amount of tactical information—but I'd be happy trying to analyze the data after the win/lose, too, if that's too difficult.

Speaking of a detailed feed, I'd love to be able to drill down after a battle and see a log-style detailed report of what happened to any given character. List out every time they hit/glanced/missed an enemy and what the effects were, and every time they were hit. Give details on what was gained and lost, both on each hit and overall; i.e.: Tell me how much damage this hero actually put out, how much damage they took, and how much XP they gained and lost and how much they aged during that specific battle.

Some of these battles are taking a non-trivial amount of time, and the hero models are similar enough that when I have 2 hunters (with the same crest & similar names) and 2 alchemists (with the same crest & similar names) I may not remember who did what. Being able to access the log in the middle of the battle would give a very nice amount of tactical information—but I'd be happy trying to analyze the data after the win/lose, too, if that's too difficult.

I would say that is doable, but not necessarily very elegant. The most simple solution would be some kind of textlog, which would probably be pretty simple to make, but It would mostly be extra clutter on the screen. With only 5 heores on the field though, I would think that any particular wiffs or triumphs would be easy to remember. Differentiating heroes is a kindo of a general problem, which is still under developement. I think the Exp. loss from lapses and the age gain from wrinklers could easily be included in the endo of battle-report though.

Sign in to follow this