Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tuhalu

Timeline Improvement Suggestions

The timeline in the game is pretty functional, but there are some areas that could use improvement in my opinion.

Icon Overlap

If events occur in too short a space of time the icons can overlap severely. Currently the only workaround that will let you see each icon is to be very careful about how fast and from which side you mouse over the overlapping icons from. Mousing over from the left usually gets the first event and from the right usually gets the second event.

There seems to be plenty of room at the top of the screen, so why not have the second icon be bumped down a bit so it is easy to click on? That's pretty common solution in timeline charts.

Alternatively, you could add some options to allow the player to set the scale of the timeline. Sometimes you do want to see the full 20 years worth of events that are currently shown, but other times you'll only care about the last 5 years or so.

Timeline Scrolling

The timeline eventually allows events to scroll off the screen. Once they have, you can never go back and read them again.

I feel like it would be a great feature (and an alternative viewing method for events) to be be able to open up a window that listed all the events from the entire timeline in point form with a scrollbar like the heros lists. This would have the added benefit of saving you from having to mouse-over each entry to see what it has to say. You'd just read it like a story.

Ideally you would be able to print the timeline out to text giving players a starting point from which to write an embellished history of their game, but that's another idea!

Optimization

I can't be sure, but it seems like the game never removes an icon once it is added to the timeline. It just scrolls them off the screen to the left as they get older. If that's correct, then it is trying to move every icon it has made since Year 1 Day 1 whenever you advance the timeline. That's going to be pretty hard on your computing resources.

If that's the case, then the fix is obvious. Remove those events from the timeline when they are too old. That looks to be about 21 years old currently (the timeline shows 20 years at a time at an given resolution).

It would be nice if you could choose the zoom level of the timeline somewhere. For example I'm only generally interested in what's been going on in the last 10 years or so, since that's what changes between battles, so I'd put it there.

During one of the teamstreams, the suggestion for a scrollable timeline was brought up. I was just missing that feature as well and hope it just hasn't made it into the game yet. Though, I like the idea of a text list that shows you all the details without having to hover over a timeline icon. Bring it on!

Sign in to follow this