Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vitruviansquid

Regent should no longer determine the trainees' class.

Simple suggestion with the following benefits

1. Line extinction is no longer the irrecoverable catastrophe if you no longer have just one keep supplying your entire campaign's worth of caberjacks.

2. All traits are important in your bloodljines 100% of the time this way. You can no longer ignore a negative trait just because it's on a class that doesn't get hampered as much by it.

3. You will still have bloodlines that are characteristic for producing great members of a certain class or terrible members of a certain class, because traits.

4. You are more likely to run into interesting situations where you can't field your perfect class composition because all the kids are turning up Alchemist or something.

I think doing some combination would work better. (I mean, first of all hybrids will make a big difference, but with just the 3 base classes...)

Say, most offspring would be the Regent's class, with a tiny percentage chance to spawn a random class. Then if a trait like Rebel (I think it's Rebel) is anywhere in the bloodline, the chance for off-class offspring goes way up. So you marry your Caberjack to an Alchemist with Rebel, and most of the offspring are Caberjacks or Caberjack-Alchemist hybrids, but one in five are Alchemists or Hunters—unable to hold the family relics, but possibly great heroes, able to become Regent themselves and alter the course of the family line, maybe able to make off-class relics that they can only pass on to their own offspring!

I like the current system better. Predictability makes the game less confusing. Besides, when the hybrid classes are introduced, the importance of the kid's class will rise even more. And I don't really feel any like the things you listed are a problem...

I do like the idea of the Rebel trait influencing class, since it feels kinda natural when you see it for the first time. I think it should somehow just encourage trainees to change into another class when they reach age 15. Maybe.

I'd like to see hybrids in the game before trying to throwing something like this out.

Smiles

I think doing some combination would work better. (I mean, first of all hybrids will make a big difference, but with just the 3 base classes...)

Say, most offspring would be the Regent's class, with a tiny percentage chance to spawn a random class. Then if a trait like Rebel (I think it's Rebel) is anywhere in the bloodline, the chance for off-class offspring goes way up. So you marry your Caberjack to an Alchemist with Rebel, and most of the offspring are Caberjacks or Caberjack-Alchemist hybrids, but one in five are Alchemists or Hunters—unable to hold the family relics, but possibly great heroes, able to become Regent themselves and alter the course of the family line, maybe able to make off-class relics that they can only pass on to their own offspring!

I think this would be a fairly good fix too, unless the implementation of hybrids can fix it.

@ApexHawk You could argue that predictability makes the game easier on the player, but that's not what makes the game fun. This game's fun comes from overcoming challenges given to you by the RNG. That's why you have percent chances of inheriting different traits or having traits just emerge from your offspring. Sometimes, unpredictability here is good.

I agree with others that I like the class being the same for a family. I also agree that hybrids would help mix it up so I hope they still make it in

I'm also of the opinion that the current situation of predictable classes is a good one, especially when I consider your point #2. At this point, it's really not feasible to cleanse your bloodlines of all negative traits; those undesirable genes will keep turning up like a bad penny. And then there would be the frustration of finally hitting the jackpot on the set of traits you were hoping for and having it end up on the wrong class (imagine a Caberjack regent finally giving birth to a child with Bear Strength, Hearty, and Quick, and having it turn out to be a Hunter).

I do like the idea of rebel affecting class. I think hybrids need to be added in before something like this is looked at. Also: regent determining class is a pretty foundational system of the game. I'm not even sure changing it is necessary or up for debate.

Sign in to follow this