Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dangeROSS

Pretty sure my 5th Xbox 360 is dying. Pics Inside!

I dunno if I'm being super crazy or not, but I do beileve my latest 360 is crapping out on me. This is the 5th or maybe 6th 360 now? I cant even remember anymore. And what's worse, the warranty is now expired, so if it does die, I might be outta luck.

It starts doing some crazy stuff to the games I'm playing. So far it's happened in Halo 3 and Banjo Kazooie. Which perplexs me, because Banjo-Kazooie is installed on my hard drive, and I assumed that the laser reading the discs was the cause of the problem, but the laser wouldn't even be in use if the game was being played from the hard-drive, right?

Here's some pics I took in-game with Banjo Kazooie to illustrate my point.

Be warned, these pictures are downright SCARY. Once you see them, you cannot UN-see them.

A38E692D140AC8A5CA06.jpg

637615D4140AC8AC0396.jpg

19B646B4140AC8AA7532.jpg

3EF6ABE6140AC8B7AF84.jpg

2ezhggq4j.jpg

560ECFED140AC8A8E6CE.jpg

Bump that. If this one does die, I'll call them up and make as big of a stink as I can to get a new one. If they don't help me out and actually want to charge me or something, then that's it for me and microsoft gaming systems. This poo-poo is re-donk-u-lous. No way I would go out and buy another one.

Lulz. I'm the most laid back person you'll ever meet, but enough is enough for me.

I dunno. I really don't. I guess I'd have to swear off it until the other systems become affordable in my mind. Or just hold out until the next wave of consoles? I'd proabably pass on anything apple related.

Which is your system of choice?

I'd like to try a PS3. But yea, it's still too pricey. I'm actually suprised Apple hasn't jumped into the videogame world yet. They could proabably make some big money.

That blows. The worst thing to happen to me was I ruined my first copy of Mass Effect because my dog ran into my xbox while it was vertical.

Do you have any lazer cleaning sofrware? My grandma has a disk that you play like a CD and it cleans the lazer reader in like, DVD players. I'd look into that.

That blows. The worst thing to happen to me was I ruined my first copy of Mass Effect because my dog ran into my xbox while it was vertical.

Do you have any lazer cleaning sofrware? My grandma has a disk that you play like a CD and it cleans the lazer reader in like, DVD players. I'd look into that.

Are you serious, the same thing happened to me! With Mass Effect, only it was my cat. I never stood my 360 up again.

If you get the three rings of death, remember that the warrenty has been expanded to three years,

which means they have to supply you with a new one.

By the way, what game is that?

Ross, have you had a look around online for similar problems? I think I recall reading something about installing certain games upon the 360 resulting in visual spikes - so try uninstalling the game and see if that clears up the problem. The purpose of installing games upon a console is to speed up the load times and transitions that are present upon the disc, yet some developers have handled this rather poorly if memory serves me correctly.

I remember reading that too. In fact Bungie actually told people not to install Halo 3, because it will run worse.

Are you serious, the same thing happened to me! With Mass Effect, only it was my cat. I never stood my 360 up again.

I normally never stand it up but room was sparce in the room so I did it. Then my dog ran into it and I still occasionly sneer at her for it. Luckilly, this was recently, so a used copy of Mass Effect was just like, $15 at gamestop.

Lucky you, I had to replace my copy in the first week after release.
That sucks, bro.

You might try the 360 hardware board on Gamefaqs, dangeROSS

Not everybody, but there are some guys who will know more than just "Dang, that dun looks WEIRD son!!"

What... Mine was doing that today too, except it was the sky in Fallout 3 which was viciosuly attacking my character's face. o__o

Also, noobish question, but is it better to lay it verticly or horizontaly. I've heard mixed opinions.

Ross, have you had a look around online for similar problems? I think I recall reading something about installing certain games upon the 360 resulting in visual spikes - so try uninstalling the game and see if that clears up the problem. The purpose of installing games upon a console is to speed up the load times and transitions that are present upon the disc, yet some developers have handled this rather poorly if memory serves me correctly.

I never actually installed my copy of Fallout 3. Any idea on what could be up with that?

Grr, this thing better not be on the fritz. Then again, I was playing on my 360 practicly all day. Prehaps it's just because it needs some time to cool down?

AP Bethesda games tend to suffer from graphical glitches, so that might be it, also lay it down, if you stand it up and it gets knocked over it will SCRATCH YOUR DISC! Standing it up also makes the disc tray work harder to open. With my 360 every time I had it standing the tray would get stuck on the inset.

Okay, good. I've always been keeping mine laid down. Seems more practicle. I figured my pooch would bump it otherwise. Some people got after me because of ventelation though.

This is why the only current gen console I own is the Wii.

It's only failed on me once (one month after the warranty expired. >_>) and that was fairly cheap to fix.

Most 360 games I want are on the PC anyway and PS3s are just too darn expensive.

My brother bought a PS3 today and my brother in law gave him the cold shoulder because he was spending his money on that rather than a 360. So of course there's this young man running around EBgames after me going "Is this a good game? He won't recomend anything!" Pah!

This is why the only current gen console I own is the Wii.

It's only failed on me once (one month after the warranty expired. >_>) and that was fairly cheap to fix.

Most 360 games I want are on the PC anyway and PS3s are just too darn expensive.

My boyfriend once accidently stuck an SD card in the disk drive of his Wii, and his friend had to use a chainsaw to get the thing open...

Just don't do that, bro.

I never actually installed my copy of Fallout 3. Any idea on what could be up with that?

Grr, this thing better not be on the fritz. Then again, I was playing on my 360 practicly all day. Prehaps it's just because it needs some time to cool down?

Sadly not. I do not actually own a 360, thus all of my information upon it is through my brethren or media relays. ;-P

What... Mine was doing that today too, except it was the sky in Fallout 3 which was viciosuly attacking my character's face. o__o

Don't worry, dude. The same thing happened to me. It's just a glitch that happens in a certain area. My 360 has been overheating lately, because it's so hot where I live. It's fine though. I heard if you use a USB laptop cooling fan on it that will keep it from overheating. Guess I'm gonna have to pick one up.

Sign in to follow this