Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ben

Legacies, Heirlooms, and Inheritance

Loving the game. In the 200s right now but I've noticed some annoying little bits about the bloodline aspect of the game (which is also my favorite feature). Watching your houses grow and prosper is extremely satisfying. However I've had a really hard time keeping track of what family heirlooms each house and who has them. I've gotten three or so this playthrough but I've lost the first two somehow. If someone has an heirloom it should say so along with their stats. Also I feel like I may have skimmed a tool tip at some point; do sagewrights and banners not leave any heirlooms they have to their house? I made one of my older heroes a banner right before her death and I think the heirloom weapon she had disappeared.

Along a similar vein, I have a suggestion that would change character progression a bit drastically but I find it very annoying having to respec and rearm my heroes before every battle. This is mainly an issue because normally in the intervening time between battles at least half my previous team has died off or been assigned to some non-combatant task. I think it would make sense if your classes automatically equipped whatever the last team member of that class type had on.

An even more drastic alteration would be even having heroes auto-spec their abilities based on their family/class history. Maybe you could alter the auto-choice once per hero in case you wanted to pursue a different strategy. Alternatively maybe you could store a few presets and select from them. Or lastly, and most simply, just make it clearer in combat when a hero has a skill point to spend (like on the banners on the bottom left). Thanks!

If someone has an heirloom it should say so along with their stats. Also I feel like I may have skimmed a tool tip at some point; do sagewrights and banners not leave any heirlooms they have to their house? I made one of my older heroes a banner right before her death and I think the heirloom weapon she had disappeared.
Tracking relics is a bit of a pain right now. On some screens it will list them at the bottom of the info screen, but not all.

If a hero with a relic is made a standard or a regent/partner, they will hold on to their relic until they die, at which point you should be able to pick a new bearer from the same family. If you make them a sagewright, they will pass on the relic immediately instead of waiting for their death (because of this, towards the end of the game I will keep a couple of vacancies open in the guilds in case I need to reassign a relic at the last minute). This also applies to generating new relics; a hero who is capable of making a new relic on their death will wait until they die if you make them a regent/partner/standard, but will make it immediately if you make them a sagewright. Sometimes when a sagewright dies the message that pops up will make it sound like you need to pick a new bearer for their relic, but you won't because they already passed it on when they became a sagewright in the first place.

I'd like the ability to for a "Partner" to pass down their relic to their immediate sons and daughters (I get that grandchildren and great greatchildren may be too hard to track or too diluted in blood). Currently they can only pass it off to their siblings, nieces, etc. Anyone that shares their last name.

From a fluff standpoint, relics should go to their bloodline not their last name, imo. The Partner is not just some leveling tool, they pass on their traits and blood to their children. Relics should recognize that.

There are no "pure bloods". The Muir relic will never go to a Muir/Muir. It already goes to a Muir/ hybrid. The fact that the same relic can't go to a /Muir hybrid seems silly.

You can marry Muir/Muir, they just need some distance in the family tree. You'll see second cousins start popping up in the partner selection screen once you start giving lines more than one keep.

The biggest difficulty with handing down relics based on lineage is that you'd often be handing down relics to people that can't use them. Your Caberjack/Hunter parents are going to have a bunch of Caberjacks for children (or a mix of Caberjacks and Caberhunters, when hybrids make it in), and since relics only take the form of weapons, none of them will be able to use the crossbow relic that Papa Hunter is handing on.

To a certain extent I agree that it'd be preferable, thematically, to hand down based on lineage. But I think handing down based on Bloodline is a close number 2, and it works FAR better with the game's systems, so I don't really want or expect it to change at this point.

Sign in to follow this