Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JSFitzsimmons

Equipping regents and standards

Armor, weapons, and items are free in this game, so there's no penalty to equipping them on every character. The only time you can set someone's equipment is the screen immediately before a battle, but you can cycle through every single hero and set up their equipment, but not send them into battle. Through this technique, you can effectively set the equipment for your regents and standards, as long as you identify them ahead of time and set up their equipment in a pre-battle setup screen some time prior to their 'retirement'. This can be a huge leg up for keep and crucible defense missions. The downside is that it is a ton of clicking for a lot of hypothetical assignments - the safest thing to do is to equip every single hero with the best equipment available every time you enter the equip screen that precedes battle. But this is very wasteful and annoying to the player.

There's a lot of ways to fix this, including completely un-equiping regents and standards, making those defense missions harder and removing the incentive to use the workaround. On the flipside, allowing us to pick the equipment for regents and standards before those missions take place would remove the burden from the player, but make those missions easier.

I've gotten in the habit of clicking on every hero that comes of age in the timeline and equipping and unlocking skills for them if there's any possibility that they might be assigned as a regent or standard later. That's a lot of clicking. I think allowing the player to equip standards/regents would be a good idea. More often than not, the keep defense missions seem to place your heroes on the other side of the map from whoever's in the building under attack, and it's hard enough keeping them alive in that situation late game without having them in bog standard equipment.

I'd just like the game to make a few smart decisions about a standard loadout. If I've researched reinforced and advanced armour, there's just no reason for it to default to the basic armour, for example. And if I've researched any items at all, there's no reason to put them in the battle empty handed, so it seems like it could just auto equip some stuff.

But also, I wouldn't mind a feature called 'default loadout' so that when I'm equipping a hero, I can say press a button to say 'make default loadout', which makes it the default loadout for all new heroes, and also asks if I want to equip all my [classname] with the same loadout. Because I'm spending a lot of time just loading out people with the same stuff, when actually I only occasionally want to swap in a relic or a special item or armour.

You can equip your Standards and Regents any time you want.

Just click on the Keep or Crucible, then click on the Heros name, then select the Info flag. You are then in the exact same window you can access before and during combat. You can also access it through the Heros option in the Chalice screen. There are sublists for Regents and Standards there from which you can click on their Info flag.

Sign in to follow this