Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thul

"Serious" Themed Bloodlines Are Pointless

I get and support what the MC team is trying to do with the "serious" themed bloodlines vs. the sillier bloodlines, but all that is made kind of moot when you force a ridiculous nickname onto my themed hero. Hey, I got a chuckle out of "Mr. Pancakes", too, but that and nicknames like "What's-her-face", "Bootlicker", etc. just kind of make the whole exercise pointless.

Obviously a lot of this comes down to personal taste, too, which is why I hope the ability for us to customize our local experience is eventually added (bloodlines, nicknames, etc), but in the meantime it'd be nice if MC carried their serious vs. silly markers across more than just bloodline names. Otherwise, why bother having the separation at all?

Y'know, I'm usually opposed to just straight up complain-y threads, but you've got a point. Since they bothered to put in the separation of serious and silly bloodlines, they should extend the option to nicknames as well. Sure, some of the silly ones can be justified in the setting, and there's probabaly a disparity in the numbers of silly and serious names, but "What's-her-face"? This is a very valid nitpick.

I think there's a difference. Some of the nicknames are silly, because sometimes nicknames are just... well, silly. Even if you're in a serious world with serious characters. But that doesn't mean you necessarily want to see joke real names or banners in your game.

I have to agree with this. However, I think silly is okay sometimes. The problem I'm running into is that it seems like there aren't enough? I'm seeing the same ones over and over. If there were more and a smaller percentage were over-the-top silly, I don't think there'd be much of a problem. I've see Whats-her-face so many times!

I have to agree with this. However, I think silly is okay sometimes. The problem I'm running into is that it seems like there aren't enough? I'm seeing the same ones over and over. If there were more and a smaller percentage were over-the-top silly, I don't think there'd be much of a problem. I've see Whats-her-face so many times!

Weeeelp, only one way to solve that: 200 or so community nicknames :) (not saying they'll do that many, but this forum will probably make up a thousand if provoked)

EDIT: Apparrently they already came from the community! That's Awesome! I was unaware, since I'm just recently jumping on the bandwagona as the game hit beta.

Weeeelp, only one way to solve that: 200 or so community nicknames :) (not saying they'll do that many this forum will probably make up a thousand in provoked)

Yep, that's the only option. Everyone? Let's get to it!

Actually most of the nicknames already came from the community! It was one of the things we were asked for just before the beta launched. I'm sure more couldn't hurt though.

I'm hoping for some GoT-style nicknames to emerge once more polish is put into the game. "The Hound," "The SeedSlayer," "Rupture's Bane." There's plenty of room for improvement here.

From my experience, most real-life nickname are silly. "Mr. Pancakes" is harper-great for a caberjack that squish cadence like pancakes. Maybe I don't get the subtleties of the english language correctly (since I am a native french-speaking Hero), but I thought my Huntress "What's-her-face" was appropriate since she was Killing before she was seen, whereas "Mouse" was a sneaky huntress.

I don't think all nicknames are meant to be scary and stuff, especially since the enemy doesn't even speak a human tongue. I mean, we have no clues about what our heroes are doing for the 45+ years of their lives that they are not fighting. There is plenty of time for them to earn a nickname that is not related to battle, since they fight like 2, maybe 3 times TOPS in their life.

Go Mister pancakes, you make the best pancakes among all the heroes, and you fought well, that time 30 years ago.

Personally I like the silly nicknames. It fits Massive Chalice in general, that's how I feel at least. I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of separating them, but I am not really bothered by it either.

I do like to see more of them though (should be easy to add some right?). It feels less special when I have two 'Whats-her-face's in a row.

From my experience, most real-life nickname are silly. "Mr. Pancakes" is harper-great for a caberjack that squish cadence like pancakes. Maybe I don't get the subtleties of the english language correctly (since I am a native french-speaking Hero), but I thought my Huntress "What's-her-face" was appropriate since she was Killing before she was seen, whereas "Mouse" was a sneaky huntress.

I don't think all nicknames are meant to be scary and stuff, especially since the enemy doesn't even speak a human tongue. I mean, we have no clues about what our heroes are doing for the 45+ years of their lives that they are not fighting. There is plenty of time for them to earn a nickname that is not related to battle, since they fight like 2, maybe 3 times TOPS in their life.

Go Mister pancakes, you make the best pancakes among all the heroes, and you fought well, that time 30 years ago.

You are a little bit off. "What's-her-face" is more memory related rather than stealthy or surprise. You say "Whats her face" if you are asking someone to jumpstart your memory when trying to remember a name. As such the nickname means the hero is forgettable in some way.

However the nickname mouse is appropriate for a sneaky hero.

I'd be in favor of more nicknames just to get some more variety in there. I think the last game I played I got three different "Mr. Pancakes," two in the same battle from different houses.

I'd be in favor of more nicknames just to get some more variety in there. I think the last game I played I got three different "Mr. Pancakes," two in the same battle from different houses.

There is a whole topic where the forum brainstormed on Team MC's request. Hopefully some more from it, and elsewhere, make it in.

(old brainstorm topic: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/15015)

Smiles

The main thing I noticed, absurdity to me is like pancakes, or waffles, it's piratically a ritual, but choosing that also seems to affect the victorious "quote" list generated for the characters. I liked the silly names... but...

"Not Today Bro." made me cringe so hard I cramped my face.

There is a whole topic where the forum brainstormed on Team MC's request. Hopefully some more from it, and elsewhere, make it in.

(old brainstorm topic: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/15015)

Smiles

That topic seems to have a lot of cool and interesting nicknames I didn't know about, no need for us to add anymore then :)

Mmhm, definitely some interesting nicknames. I'd love for the nickname database (for relics and heroes) to be huge, since it seems like relatively big bang for little buck. But we'll see.

Smiles

Given that "Mr. Pancakes" is literally the first response in the topic, I'm hoping that they had a small list built out before asking the forum, then just grabbed a quick handful more for the initial build. I agree that it'd be a relatively easy win to make the list pretty large before v1.0

Just one thing more about the silly real names: i had in my very first battle a mixed set (my favorite set so far, by the way) and in the first battle the battle scream was "meow" ... so i guess there is still a big difference between silly houses and real names and silly nicknames.

just + one that nicknames can be silly thing.

Even if you take the world sirious. But if a battle scream is "for laundry" i guess you can't take that one sirious ^^

Yeah, as I said in my OP there certainly is a personal level of taste when it comes to filtering aspects. What one person deems fine another will consider silly and immersion breaking. Letting us mark bloodlines we don't want to see again would be a good first step. Allowing us to create our own would solve it. I just don't see much point in the current system. Or maybe the silly bloodlines are really just that bad? :D

I am, at least, (and speaking as a Bloodline Backer) strongly in favour of letting people create their own bloodlines. I may start a thread on this to revive the concept, because it hasn't really been talked about since Brad brought up the possibility toward the start of the beta.

I am, at least, (and speaking as a Bloodline Backer) strongly in favour of letting people create their own bloodlines. I may start a thread on this to revive the concept, because it hasn't really been talked about since Brad brought up the possibility toward the start of the beta.

The Hawkes.... probably taken. The Apexes.... nah...The Highhawks, hmm.... that's not half bad....

Keep name: Predatoria.... Hmmm, yee-s.

Battlecry: Ka-KAAAAAAWW for silly, "Let fly the strike!" for serious... which would I go for....

Hm? Oh no no no, pay me no mind, just typing to myself. Hm, yes. Indeed.

*Ahem*

Sign in to follow this