Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
electronale

Thimbleweed Park: A New Classic Point & Click Adventure FROM RON GILBERT! AND Gary Winnick

This is the game Broken Age "should" have been

I would be hugely disappointed if Broken Age would have turned out like this.

Have we really become so spoiled that we can afford to turn our noses up and complain that the porridge looks too hot or too cold when a master chef turns up and offers to make us a meal? Especially considering people were complaining that they had been starving not too long ago.

Have we really become so spoiled that we can afford to turn our noses up and complain that the porridge looks too hot or too cold when a master chef turns up and offers to make us a meal? Especially considering people were complaining that they had been starving not too long ago.

It does seem ridiculous, doesn't it? I do agree that the objectives of this chef might be different in this instance, as he has decided to use old ingredients, instead of state of the art ones (as he would have done in the past), but I don't mind a bit of nostalgia, and I imagine developments of the past few decades will be seen in the design, if not the artwork (couldn't think of two analogous things to continue the metaphor :)

I NEVER liked the look of Maniac Mansion (or Zak McKraken), but I still played and completed them. The biggest issue with those games was the parser, however. The games themselves were fun, and the graphics I could live with, but the interface was actively frustrating. They finally mastered the SCUMM interface with Monkey Island (although it was perfected with CMI) -- and that's the same version they're using for this new game... So I'm happy.

I take genuine offence at the idea that the reason I'm not backing this is because I'm 'spoiled'. I've CAREFULLY explained my position, please at least do me the courtesy of respecting it, even if you disagree.

By the way, it's not a position I take flippantly. I like Ron, his games were a huge part of my early teens, as I said, formative. But I'm not obligated to back his projects because of that, and I think I've made it abundantly clear why I've chosen not to in this case, and that I respect anyone that chooses otherwise.

This is the game Broken Age "should" have been

Ahh, i couldn't resist. :o)

Well, let's put it this way, i guess people like me are hoping for certain aspects in this game (fun, complexity, humour, puzzles, exploration, interesting characters, ...[uhh, how many times have i written this already?]) which the first episode of The DFA just couldn't deliver. If Gilbert is able to come up with some of these ingredients, i give a fuck about the interface (or this rather horrible colour gradient in the background).

I can often save a lot of time typing up a post of my own by just looking for one of yours :D

Still going to add my 2 cents:

I'm excited to see where this project goes. I like the low-tech approach, as it should allow for a LOT more flexibility down the road. If I recall correctly from documentary episodes or Q&As; (not sure where) there were parts in Broken Age which were found to be flawed before the game was shipped but couldn't be fixed because, oh no!, the dialog was already recorded or the art couldn't be redrawn in time. But just editing some lines of text here and there is a small change that can have a big impact on the final experience.

I'm not sure if I should back yet. With DFA, I knew even if they don't deliver, at least I have the documentary, and I can still look back at the great time I had while discussing and reading things on the backer forum. Was well worth it.

Is THIS:

Follow and participate in the game's development on our website, where Ron, Gary and other members of the team will discuss behind-the-scenes art, designs, information, cooking, gossip, answer questions, get feedback and generally have a lot of fun.

exclusive to backers? If it is, I might back. Otherwise, I'm leaning towards waiting and buying it when it comes out and support Ron the old fashioned way.

I take genuine offence at the idea that the reason I'm not backing this is because I'm 'spoiled'. I've CAREFULLY explained my position, please at least do me the courtesy of respecting it, even if you disagree.

Oh yes, even to the point that you consider a game with five different intersecting character storylines "unambitious" or point out wording on the KS page that you don't like. This is some grade A bovine manure and you know it. Sounds to me more like a bunch of excuses rather than reasons. It's not the project that you have a beef with, is it? It's the people who didn't like DFA that you suspect Ron Gilbert might be pandering to.

This pitch is very well within the scope of what i expected from you when you promised me an old-school adventure game. Plus, its from the guy who was introduced in the BA pitch as somebody who would give creative input to BA ... Seems like his input was dismissed.

By the way, it's not a position I take flippantly. I like Ron, his games were a huge part of my early teens, as I said, formative. But I'm not obligated to back his projects because of that, and I think I've made it abundantly clear why I've chosen not to in this case, and that I respect anyone that chooses otherwise.

Dude, I think you need to take some time away from the forum. Getting offended by this stuff is not doing you any good. Right or wrong, it's not worth getting upset about. There are far more important things in life than what someone thinks of an opinion of yours on the internet.

I like the ambition of the project on many levels.

No running out of money.

realistic about design goals.

Point n click for old fans, meaning it will have actual hard and complex puzzles.

It will have multiple endings.

Not be totally linear, just visiting each locations once.

Im really hyped for this. I wish Doublefine had made their adventure game old school as well, then just given us 100 hours of gameplay.

I kinda hope Thimble Weed gets like 1 million $, then we can get a really amazing long, complex old school game, that can be replayed and replayed and replayed.

I mean the only step up in terms of graphics i want for this game, if the game hits absurd levels of funding like 1-2 million $, its like Day of the tentacle style of graphics. That would have me more than satisfied.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with pixel graphic. if anything, it inspires your imagination. Thats how it always have been for me. And its not just rose tinted glass, not at all. Wadjedeyegames has a lot of pixel art point n click games, and they just look and play BRILLIANTLY.

It looks cool and I'll play it, but I am glad Broken Age isn't this. Both can equally exist as great games in my world.

Smiles

I for one did not expect this from Broken Age, and I agree with those that are thankful that Double Fine didn't go this way with Broken Age. I can understand that a two man team, that will land on a budget much lower then what Double Fine, aims for this art style, and it's pretty fun to see the Maniac Mansion style be used again. But I also have higher expectations for this genre then it just looking back, so it's great that we get both retro games, and games trying to evolve it a bit.

Come on, people -- let's at least try not to make it about Broken Age. Ron Gilbert deserves better than that. There is no point in comparing the games now, especially since Timbleweed Park is still just an idea at this point. The only thing you're doing by bringing up how much you disliked Broken Age is pissing off people who might otherwise support the campaign.

Oh yes, even to the point that you consider a game with five different intersecting character storylines "unambitious" or point out wording on the KS page that you don't like. This is some grade A bovine manure and you know it. Sounds to me more like a bunch of excuses rather than reasons. It's not the project that you have a beef with, is it? It's the people who didn't like DFA that you suspect Ron Gilbert might be pandering to.

I don't understand why you continue to be so hostile. I don't like parts of the pitch - yes. I think I've made that abundantly clear. And I do find it curiously unambitious at least in how it is pitched - I hope that in the fullness of time the game will show me something that I can get behind, right now I'm not feeling it. I'll have to see more, and for that I can wait.

But you know what? Don't second guess my intentions. Just don't. This isn't something I wade into lightly - Ron Gilbert's old games are huge to me and if you think that I'd not back a project of his just because of some convoluted point to do with fans Broken Age, then I'm afraid you're just... well, wrong.

That said, I -have- noticed that there are certain DFA-haters who are rubbing their hands gleefully at this project because they see it as Ron Gilbert showing Tim Schafer how it's done, and I think that's inappropriate and unhelpful all round. But they're not really here on this forum, and so I shouldn't have brought it up.

Now, could we set this feud aside, please? I think what you said about me was out of line (and was again, in the above post), but on the other hand I probably stirred a pot that had no reason to be stirred here.

Come on, people -- let's at least try not to make it about Broken Age. Ron Gilbert deserves better than that. There is no point in comparing the games now, especially since Timbleweed Park is still just an idea at this point. The only thing you're doing by bringing up how much you disliked Broken Age is pissing off people who might otherwise support the campaign.

Well, the comparison between the projects is to obvious to avoid, and as long as we agree on whynotboth.gif, then we might as well tackle the elephant in the discussion room. And Broken Age is a lovely game btw.

I don't understand why you continue to be so hostile.
Don't have any hostile intentions. Just saying what it looks like.

Stretch goals announced:

- Ios and android versions

- Translations

- Talkies

It looks like Thimbleweeb Park may have some of the same inconvenience of pre recording the dialog too... hope not.

Hmm..

Boris Schneider-Johne, who did the German translation of Monkey Island has agreed to do the German translation for Thimbleweed Park. His only condition was that we have a Monkey Wrench puzzle because he misses a good challenge.

^For a German translator, I can totally understand the challenge in TRANSLATING the monkey wrench puzzle.

Hmm, ich mag inhaltliche Anbiederung nicht und find's besser, wenn Spiele für sich selbst stehen.

Jetzt ein Monkey-Wrench-Schenkelklopfer: lustig ... Ob's auch so viel gebracht hätte? Zum einen gibt's regional unterschiedliche Bezeichnungen, zum anderen haben da nicht nur Mechaniker Hand angelegt; so ist's zumindest zum Kult geworden - manchmal tun Abweichungen auch gut.

Hmm, ich mag inhaltliche Anbiederung nicht und find's besser, wenn Spiele für sich selbst stehen. Jetzt ein Monkey-Wrench-Schenkelklopfer, lustig, ... Ob's auch so viel gebracht hätte? Zum einen gibt's regional unterschiedliche Bezeichnungen, zum anderen haben da nicht nur Mechaniker Hand angelegt; so ist's zumindest zum Kult geworden - manchmal tun Abweichungen auch gut.

Come again ? :P Someone translate!. I think he wants a Supersized Big Mac menu or something, my German is a bit rusty.

I hope he'll write/use his own engine, also if the main attraction will be scrolling. :o)

Well, Ron has expressed an interest in trying to recreate SCUMM in some form, maybe this can be the first version of that. It'd be neat knowing that SCUMM lives on in some form.

Looks awesome! I backed in a heartbeat.

I don't really like Ron Gilbert or the LucasArts tradition in any way, but I want as many genuine adventures as we can get, especially from the old hands.

Yeah, apparently he tried to convince Gilbert to change the puzzle solution during the development way back when. His idea was to use Engländer (Englishman): http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Engländer

How did you know that? Very interesting stuff.

The "monkey wrench" puzzle barely worked in English, let alone another language. Definitely the worst puzzle in all the LucasArts oeuvre, if you ask me! :)

Sign in to follow this