Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Adam K

The Angered Townsfolk

This is an idea I've since the game was first announced, and I doubt it can be added before launch. Still, maybe as an expansion or in the sequel.

In the beginning of the game, we are told that normal people can't take even a single hit from a Cadence. This is to explain why we can't send massive armies or normal folk up against them.

Well, just because they won't all survive doesn't mean they wouldn't try. What did people do before heroes emerged to save the day? Obviously they fought and paid for every victory with many deaths.

In the later stages of the game, you have keeps of mighty houses, but they can fall because you didn't send 5 heroes to the battlefield. What about the other twenty heroes I have in my roster, not to mention the thousands of citizens in my realm?

I think it should be an option to field an army of normal folk and have a hero take the lead. Their chances of success would depend on research you've conducted into armor, as well as the leadership capabilities of that hero. It would not be as good a chance as sending your 5 best to the zone, but could at least give them a fighting chance.

If the attack goes very poorly, Cadence levels would increase as the surviving families feel even more helpless. If they should survive, maybe you discover that one of them is a hero?

You could also have townsfolk as an option for battles, but you would get five for each hero slot. They have 1 HP and low attacks, but a high evasion.

Agreed.

I found the Keep defense to be a big boring let down.

Partially because the map has such poor design, not very defensible, but also not Throne room in front of a huge viewing hall either. Although if they've made it that far, it's probably because they slew all the townsfolk along the way. But in that case you've done a terrible job defending your Keep and the people. I don't know. Something is kind of wrong with the Keep defense.

I've only played a couple of Keep defence missions so far, but what I'd change is:

* Remove the fog of war (this attack is happening on your home ground, you should know the lay of the land)

* Spawn your heroes inside the Throne Room (you're trying to defend the keep, not invade it)

* Increase the number of Cadence (to make it feel like a siege - and to make up for the advantages listed previously)

Keep missions didn't feel like I was desperately trying to defend a Stronghold against a horde of ravening Cadence. It felt like any other mission. just with an extra body or two (the cadence never came running for my regent, so I didn't really feel any pressing need to get there to defend them, either. The cadence just sat there waiting for me to come kill them, as usual).

While the OP's scenario is cool, I think it's probably too much to introduce at this stage.

Sign in to follow this