Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
wiplash

So, anyone else hoping that for the next AF / kickstarter, we're pitched an old-school adventure game?

Considering they now have the majority of the engine and tools in place, it might be a good move to build an actual low budget old-school point and click adventure game, with a verb coin or similar... no need for anything more than a simple art-style (maybe something like Day of the Tentacle), and no need for voice-acting either to keep costs low and more flexibility with the script.

Ron Gilbert has just launched a kickstarter for one, at an attainable price-point - Thimbleweed Park.

Not me. I'm not really for all this backward looking stuff. One of my favourite things about BA is that it isn't just a museum piece, as Tim put it. And I think this studio is at its best when it is trying new things. But perhaps this would be better off in a different forum like the Amnesia Fortnight one. :)

I think one thing I've "learned" from the DFA documentary stuff is that, while having the cross platform engine and mechanics worked out is nice, there is no such thing as a "quick easy" point and click adventure game...

That said, I do like the idea of DF having their next point and click adventure game come out before the BA engine and toolchain becomes obsolete... but Tim needs a break.

Not me. I'm not really for all this backward looking stuff. One of my favourite things about BA is that it isn't just a museum piece, as Tim put it. And I think this studio is at its best when it is trying new things. But perhaps this would be better off in a different forum like the Amnesia Fortnight one. :)

I'm not suggesting that there is anything wrong with the path that has been taken with BA, or that a new game cannot or shouldn'#t be updated in certain ways, but there's certainly a fan-base for a traditionally-styled point and click...

I'm not suggesting that there is anything wrong with the path that has been taken with BA, or that a new game cannot or shouldn'#t be updated in certain ways, but there's certainly a fan-base for a traditionally-styled point and click...

Sure. There's definitely a fan base for that. I certainly can get some enjoyment out of that sort of thing, it just doesn't seem to me like the sort of thing that would be a great use of DF resources. If they announced it, I'd be super interested in it, for sure. But I'd also be somewhat wary. I'm not so keen on nostalgia for nostalgia's sake.

If they went somewhere interesting with it, sure. Let's face it, I'm interested in any adventure game DF puts out, by default. I just don't really have a great desire for something in this style. :)

I was sort of hoping Justin Bailey's 'Eras of Adventure' would be picked in AF2014. It seemed like a great idea, and even if they couldn't implement everything, I think it had a chance of being made into a full game.

I was sort of hoping Justin Bailey's 'Eras of Adventure' would be picked in AF2014. It seemed like a great idea, and even if they couldn't implement everything, I think it had a chance of being made into a full game.
Agreed! It was at least an interesting take on adventure game history.

Agreed! It was at least an interesting take on adventure game history.

Maybe it can turn into the next Bad Golf (i.e. reappearing in the next AF, and if still not picked getting a community edition)

I think I need to stop clicking these links. I still haven't played half the point and clicks I own...like Sam and Max, the Discworld ones, Vampyre Story, Full Throttle even. NEED MORE TIME TO GAME!

I think I need to stop clicking these links. I still haven't played half the point and clicks I own...like Sam and Max, the Discworld ones, Vampyre Story, Full Throttle even. NEED MORE TIME TO GAME!

Play Full Throttle!! You'll love it! And it isn't a very long game (ofcourse, this depends on how long you take to solve certain puzzles), so you may be able to fit it into your schedule.

Warning, opinions below:

I really enjoyed Discworld II - the voice acting, the setting, everything was just excellent!.. but Discworld I was a bit too intentionally convoluted and difficult for me, and took pixel hunting to a whole new level. If you're talking about the original Sam & Max Hit The Road, if I recall it is best to play after you've gotten a good feel for adventure games - it is a tricky, but thoroughly enjoyable game! I didn't care much for the characters in Vampyre Story, or for the inventory mechanics, but that just might be me..

One thing I'm sure of, it would be a great shame if the tools and the experience they have gotten from building Broken Age isn't put to use in further adventure games. It looks, controls and run fantastic.

I don't think anyone expects Double Fine to do another Kickstarter anytime soon, especially Double Fine. They definitely don't have the PR capital for it anymore -- Tim spent all his on the first two.

However, I do think they should try a genuine adventure someday. Ironically, the Toastmaster flash game, or whatever it was, is probably one of the best Double Fine games I've ever played!

However, I do think they should try a genuine adventure someday. Ironically, the Toastmaster flash game, or whatever it was, is probably one of the best Double Fine games I've ever played!
Yeah, two of Klint Honeychurch's flash games are actually enjoyable enough to be in my top 10 Double Fine games (Host Master and the Conquest of Humor and Tasha's Game). Major Bueno's Host Master Deux is really good too, if you don't mind the platform puzzling style of The Cave.

This is awesome, Thimbleweed Park is promising be be much more like what I was hoping to get from DFA. Not trying to be a hater, it's just when someone says 'old-school point and click adventure' Broken Age is not what comes to mind.

No. To be blunt about it, I want another Broken Age. They're perfectly poised to re-use the engine and experience gained from BA, it's just a question of whether they would want to, and if so, how it would be funded. On the latter issue, I'll happily back another KickStarter. Between the docs and the games, I've got incredible value for my money.

No. To be blunt about it, I want another Broken Age. They're perfectly poised to re-use the engine and experience gained from BA, it's just a question of whether they would want to, and if so, how it would be funded. On the latter issue, I'll happily back another KickStarter. Between the docs and the games, I've got incredible value for my money.

Same. They've got this great engine now, so much of the problem is solved, they don't need to spend a few months implementing the 2D toolchain, then another few refining and getting up to speed with it, they can just go from concept to execution in one step. Broken Age Part 1 + 2 will have taken them just shy of 3 years to complete, and I feel like now they have the processes down they could do another one in potentially half the time. If they ever have the funds to do that, I'd love to see them try. Perhaps have ScottC or someone as the artistic lead in this one, and see how that works out.

but hey, something small and old-style could be fun too.

Same. They've got this great engine now, so much of the problem is solved, they don't need to spend a few months implementing the 2D toolchain, then another few refining and getting up to speed with it, they can just go from concept to execution in one step. Broken Age Part 1 + 2 will have taken them just shy of 3 years to complete, and I feel like now they have the processes down they could do another one in potentially half the time. If they ever have the funds to do that, I'd love to see them try. Perhaps have ScottC or someone as the artistic lead in this one, and see how that works out.

but hey, something small and old-style could be fun too.

I feel due to the choice of interface in BA, a lot of the potential humour has been lost in the process. I used to thoroughly enjoy stretching my imagination with usage of the verb-coin, and seeing / hearing all the different responses. Taking the single-click to 'look'/'pick up'/'use lips on that' is certainly simpler to implement and requires less work, but feels like it loses a bit of the charm... to me at least. Full Throttle and Monkey Island 3 did this best...

The great thing about Ron's game is it means they can focus on the writing and the puzzles.,which is what I loved about all those old games... Too much attention focus and resources was spent on Broken Age's art in my opinion which just isn't that important to me.

The great thing about Ron's game is it means they can focus on the writing and the puzzles.,which is what I loved about all those old games... Too much attention focus and resources was spent on Broken Age's art in my opinion which just isn't that important to me.

Exactly - the art style of BA is gorgeous and fantastic, ofcourse, but it looks like a lot of the time and effort and budget went into the art and animation, rather than into Tim's vision of the game in terms of storyline, puzzles, etc... which is why they had to cut so much of the game to meet their deadline. If they had gone a more simplistic route, I'm sure they'd have been able to fit in more content.

That being said, Thimbleweed Park looks a bit too old-school for my liking.. I'd have preferred something along the lines of Day of the Tentacle rather than Maniac Mansion...

Exactly - the art style of BA is gorgeous and fantastic, ofcourse, but it looks like a lot of the time and effort and budget went into the art and animation, rather than into Tim's vision of the game in terms of storyline, puzzles, etc... which is why they had to cut so much of the game to meet their deadline. If they had gone a more simplistic route, I'm sure they'd have been able to fit in more content.

That being said, Thimbleweed Park looks a bit too old-school for my liking.. I'd have preferred something along the lines of Day of the Tentacle rather than Maniac Mansion...

This x1000

Love BA! And from the sounds Act II is gonna take it to the next level and may totally deliver that.

Also stoked on Thimbleweed Park and backed... but yeah DoTT era artwork would be great.. or FT/CMI or even the MI special editions... Tpark is EXTREME old school graphics.. though I do appreciate all the focus on gameplay because of that.

Regardless, either way, DF has all the engine, tools, etc. in place. I hope they make another adventure game. Heck it can run just like BA, using whatever art style they want to do next (maybe simpler) and just not have to devote resources to as much technical engine development, etc. Have peter do all of the art, like the old days, and just focus on gameplay this time around. Save all the cash spent on documentary, etc.

Of course, not a complaint on BA at all! Its great. But I hope they continue to make more adventure games, even if simpler, cause Tim is a genius and all of the foundation is there now. This could be the new SCUMM for years to come!

I would like to see The Cave DLC/2, that audio game and Costume Quest 2.

Wait, that already exists, i mean Costume Quest 2 with a real story and no DRM. Seriously i don't see a reason why you can't get both a) a good adventure as well as b) some nice assets (can be simplistic as long as the style is cool) but somehow you often have to choose one or the other ...

Anyway i don't mind of it's old skool or something new as long as it's good (in terms of amazing^3 by video games bizz standards).

Well, depends on how old school you are, ask MrTim about one, you'll get brokenage , ask MrGilbert and you get thimbleweed.

That flew totally under my radar! Thanks for the information! Perhaps now I can get a real fix for my classic adventure gaming itch. I have to agree with the other poster who said that Broken Age was not a classic point and click adventure by any stretch of the imagination. A cute kids adventure-lite is how I think about it. Decent, but not what I was imagining when I backed the project. Documentary has paid off in spades though, when they actually release episodes.

If they can make a low budget game with the BA engine, I think that's an incredible idea. I love BA, but any way I can get a new adventure game from DF/Tim I would take, and I think one with the budget of BA is off the table.

I feel due to the choice of interface in BA, a lot of the potential humour has been lost in the process. I used to thoroughly enjoy stretching my imagination with usage of the verb-coin, and seeing / hearing all the different responses. Taking the single-click to 'look'/'pick up'/'use lips on that' is certainly simpler to implement and requires less work, but feels like it loses a bit of the charm... to me at least. Full Throttle and Monkey Island 3 did this best...

Oh yes, i was on monkey 3 all the time like clicking on anything, just to have some fun notes ^^

Well. They had implemented that kind of interacting humour it in BA's one klick system aswell never the less. There wasn't just not that much to click on there. (i still miss the toaster ^^ ... well, maybe the line wasn't even funny ;) ) But, never the less, like Shay in his childhood-trash ... ehm, hall of heros place ^^ there have been places with stuff and jokes.

BA was damn funny! How could anyone say it wasn't? The Tree and the lumberjack was hilarious. Shay had great comments. I loved the knife. There was a lot of funny things going on there. Aswell interacting-wise. So i am happy with that.

And in monkey 3 ... like, there was of course great answers if guybrush interacted. But i don't remember the fact, that you had like three options, ever really made it that more fun. Maybe even harder to get all the jokes. Well okay, sometimes, with objects you have to use, you can have a joke before while not using it, but interacting differently first. There is that. But i don't know if it really was like that big advantage.

Well. But i mean, we all got that discussion back than. No big need to repeat. Especially as none of us ever played part II.

It will be longer. It will be harder and more complicated. Those two things are fix. I mean, siriously, now pt I really gonne be the "first get into the whole thing" part of the game.

I don't mind that broken age was different. Cause it had a) the awesome jokes/humour anyway. It had great characters and settings, too. It had action. It was never boring. So i didn't missed the coin thing. I mean, there is monkey island 3 out there. You can still play it on older Window-partitions.

There still games with this 3 verbs thing. But are they really better because of that? I don't think so. Thats not really what makes the gaming expirience that big difference. In my opinion.

Beside having the whole retro-expirience tho, of course. ^^

The difference to monkey 3 or Grim was just that the world felt bigger and more detailed. But there have even more work and money been put into that, i guess. Also in the animation or the 3d engine.

I am to young for ever really have played monkey I and II and all this super oldschool games in the days. I played Monkey 3 first, adventure game wise. Than Grim Fandango. (oh i played Monkey 4 before Grim ^^ ). And long after that i found out about that ScumVM-Thing for later computers and played Monkey I and II ... as i even played V now, it would have been weird if i had never played those two first parts ^^

So all adventures from monkey island 3 on kinda are all in the same spirit of wanting to look great, and beeing allways kinda different. So BA is totally in that tradition. And as it is 2D even closer to monkey 3 than to grim fandango and things like the telltale games.

And one of the inspirations for BA allways was Machinarium. So. In Machinarium isn't even any word, at all. (it is funny and has a great narrative anyway!) So good they still have dialog in the game ^^ Machinarium was in the kickstarter Campain even, as an example how a flash-game will look like. So they could even had skipped dialogs ^^ (not that Tim ever would do that ;) ) and would have been true to the campain never the less. Kind of. ^^

Sign in to follow this