Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Brad

Hybrid Class Names!

Hey you guys!

We've been having meetings about how we're going to implement the hybrid classes. It's really exciting to be digging into this feature because WE TALKED ABOUT IT for so long! :D!

We're almost ready to share our design of the hybrids with you and get some feedback, but the one thing that I would love to have help on is the NAMES of the classes!

We haven't really started picking out names yet. We tried really hard to come up with names for the base classes that were "combineable" (ie Caberjack/Alchemist = Cabermist) but we never quite got there. So I think that they should all have unique names.

So here are the 6 that we need! I'm listing them as PRIMARY / SECONDARY in this list below with a brief description of each:

Alchemist / Caberjack - an Alchemist that uses knockback bombs and is more melee focused.

Alchemist / Hunter - an Alchemist that uses heavily damaging precision single tile bombs.

Caberjack / Hunter - a sneaky Caberjack that can stealth around the map! :o!

Caberjack / Alchemist - a Caberjack that uses flask explosions on the tip of his Caber.

Hunter / Alchemist - a Hunter that can shoot flasks with his crossbow.

Hunter / Caberjack - a Hunter that's all about getting point blank shots and fighting from close® range than normal.

Thanks for the help! :D!

Brad!

Hey you guys!

We've been having meetings about how we're going to implement the hybrid classes. It's really exciting to be digging into this feature because WE TALKED ABOUT IT for so long! :D!

We're almost ready to share our design of the hybrids with you and get some feedback, but the one thing that I would love to have help on is the NAMES of the classes!

We haven't really started picking out names yet. We tried really hard to come up with names for the base classes that were "combineable" (ie Caberjack/Alchemist = Cabermist) but we never quite got there. So I think that they should all have unique names.

So here are the 6 that we need! I'm listing them as PRIMARY / SECONDARY in this list below with a brief description of each:

Alchemist / Caberjack - an Alchemist that uses knockback bombs and is more melee focused.

Alchemist / Hunter - an Alchemist that uses heavily damaging precision single tile bombs.

Caberjack / Alchemist - a Caberjack that uses flask explosions on the tip of his Caber.

Hunter / Caberjack - a Hunter that's all about getting point blank shots and fighting from close® range than normal.

Thanks for the help! :D!

Brad!

Yesssss

Displacer

Blastmaster

Boom Surgeon

Flask Artist

Shadowjack

Boomjack

Deliverer

OK... No idea

Hunter / Caberjack

Caber Tosser

Hunter / Alchemist

Grenadier

Hunter / Caberjack

Slayer

Alchemist / Caberjack

Drunken Master

Caberjack / Alchemist

Master Drunkard

Caberjack / Hunter

Druid

*shrug*

OK, so, the first thing that popped into my mind was to go Super Sentai on this problem, meaning I put qualifiers in front of the class names. Don't worry, that idea got abandoned once I started thinking about this (I have the added bonus of not having english as my first language...):

Alchemist / Caberjack -[del] Blast Alchemist[/del], Reveler (I know It's a personality, but still), Fire Fist, [del]Pincer Alchemist[/del], [del]Saberjack[/del]

Alchemist / Hunter - Pitcher, [del]Bombardier[/del]

Caberjack / Hunter - Shadowjack is actually pretty good

Caberjack / Alchemist - Rumbler, Reveler (works on either one), [del]Boomjack[/del]

Hunter / Alchemist - [del]Tinkerer[/del]/Mechanist (I like this one. The idea is, he's found a way to improve up his/her parent's stuff :) Breeding alchemy into hunters gives you a hunter nerd!)

Hunter / Caberjack - Ranger, Chopper

...This requires further thought....

Alchemist / Caberjack - Brawlchemist

I did not listen to the streams yet, so I'm not sure how you were going to proceed with the Hybrids.

If I would do the system, I'd do a simple one with Main-Class & Sub-Class, where the "main class" would be given by the Regent's main class, and the "sub class" given by the partner's main class, so there would still be 3 "main classes", but 9 sub-classes :

3 kinds of alchemists :

Alchemist - Alchemist : Deflagrator/Scientist / Thrower

Alchemist - caberjack : Repulser/Engineer / Slasher

Alchemist - hunter : Melter/Smelter/Witch/Druid /Poisoner

3 kinds of caberjacks

Caberjack - caberjack : Defender / Terminator / Smasher

Caberjack - hunter : Assassin/Rogue/Ranger/Scout/Frontline / Piercer

Caberjack - Alchemist : Breacher/Demolition-Man / Burner

3 hunters

Hunter - hunter : sniper / crossbowman / Bolter

Hunter - Alchemist : Artillery / Grenadeer / Splasher

Hunter - caberjack : Inflitrator / assassin / Spy / Backstabber

Good luck! I look forward for the results!

Keep up the good work!

Edit : In fact, there might not need to be special names for each specialization in that case, but I do like how most heroes will have a different "Title"

Brewbomber.

Riotjack. Seems like riot control police. This could also be swapped with the Alchemist / Caber probably.

Smiles

Alchemist/Caberjack - Grenadier. Big beefy guys that charge into close combat while throwing bombs.

Alchemist/Hunter - Philosopher. Because throwing a philosopher's stone at your head sounds like something an alchemist might do.

Caberjack/Hunter - Skirmisher or Scout.

Caberjack/Alchemist - Cannoneer, Saboteur. So jacked, they can hit you in the face with a cannon and then it shoots you too.

Hunter/Alchemist - Trickshot. Because of all the tricky shots they can fire.... yeah.

Hunter/Caberjack - Ambusher or Bushwacker.

Pusher

Nuker

I got nothing

Fireman

Combuster

Boomer

Rocketeer

Rocketman

Some kind of RPG-wielding vibe

Executioner

Rocketman

I could work with that.

Woo! I was really excited about the hybrid possibilities, but at this point I figured they were on the cutting edge of out of scope. Great to hear they're still happening!

Here are my attempts at names:

Concussionist/Concussor: Alchemist / Caberjack - an Alchemist that uses knockback bombs and is more melee focused.

No idea! Alchemist / Hunter - an Alchemist that uses heavily damaging precision single tile bombs.

Commando: Caberjack / Hunter - a sneaky Caberjack that can stealth around the map! :o!

Breacher: Caberjack / Alchemist - a Caberjack that uses flask explosions on the tip of his Caber.

Bombardier: Hunter / Alchemist - a Hunter that can shoot flasks with his crossbow.

Roughneck: Hunter / Caberjack - a Hunter that’s all about getting point blank shots and fighting from close® range than normal.

Blast Jack

Boom Zoom

Slinger

Shadowjack FTW! I second this suggestion

Caber-Blast

Detonator

Exploder

Sabateur

Hunter / Caberjack - a Hunter that’s all about getting point blank shots and fighting from close® range than normal.

Ranger Danger

You would probably put the name of the base class in front of these hybrid class names, like "Alchemist - Arsonist." Because an "Arsonist" alone just sounds shady.

Alchemist/Caberjack - Arsonist, Demolisher, Thunderer, Bomber, Pyromaniac, Pyromancer

Alchemist/Hunter - Cannoneer, Striker

Caberjack/Alchemist - Rowdy, Wrecker

Caberjack/Hunter - Cabersneak, Ranger

Hunter/Alchemist - Chevauchee, Marauder, Reaver

Hunter/Caberjack - Sentinel, Skirmisher

I'm glad that lots of people like "Shadowjack"! :)

Also, I agree that it would make it clearer if these were sort of a sub-class name, that you'll still be primarily a Hunter/Alchemist/Caberjack and be able to equip their weapons and armour, etc. Need to ensure people aren't confused about where these new classes are coming from.

After sleeping on it, I have a couple of new suggestions:

Disruptor

Crashbang

Launcher

Hunter / Caberjack - a Hunter that’s all about getting point blank shots and fighting from close® range than normal.

Assassin

Messenger

Guerrillajack. Ha.

Desperado or Madcap

Smiles

@Vitruviansquid and @KestrelPi: I think there would have to be some indicator of the core class in the name because I can't imagine the class of the children being determined by anything other than: Primary Class of Regent + Primary Class of Partner. Interestingly this means that a house would have to have the same core class for the entire game, but the secondary class could change from generation to generation.

Example:

Regent: Hunter-Caberjack

Partner: Alchemist-Caberjack

Children: Hunter-Alchemists

This also means you could get the non-hybrids back:

Partner: Hunter-Caberjack

Children: Hunters

Of course, maybe I'm wrong, but this system sounds fantastic to me because it would allow people to refine their strategy as needed and not be as locked into one class per house--generational change in class would become part of the strategy.

Interestingly this means that a house would have to have the same core class for the entire game, but the secondary class could change from generation to generation..

Right -- this was the design from the beginning in the early Team Streams I believe.

Smiles

@Vitruviansquid and @KestrelPi: I think there would have to be some indicator of the core class in the name because I can't imagine the class of the children being determined by anything other than: Primary Class of Regent + Primary Class of Partner. Interestingly this means that a house would have to have the same core class for the entire game, but the secondary class could change from generation to generation.

Example:

Partner: Alchemist-Caberjack

Children: Hunter-Alchemists

This also means you could get the non-hybrids back:

Partner: Hunter-Caberjack

Children: Hunters

Of course, maybe I'm wrong, but this system sounds fantastic to me because it would allow people to refine their strategy as needed and not be as locked into one class per house--generational change in class would become part of the strategy.

Yes. That's how I envision it too, which is why it will be super important to emphasise, in the interface, the primary class over the sub-class. Otherwise people might get confused about how marrying a Shadowjack (or whatever) and a Boomer (or whatever) gets them a Caberjack.

But strategically, it sounds wonderful. Right now I don't much care which class I marry into a bloodline, as long as the traits work out. Now every marriage holds the potential of massively changing up my strategy in battles.

I like some of the ones already listed and thought of some others:

Disrupter/Displacer seems good

Stinger

I like Shadowjack as well

Shocktrooper

Mortar/Mine-thrower

Vanguard/Blunders (because of blunderbuss)

Battlemist

Quarrior

Guerrilla

Shadowjack / Blackjack

Caberist

Brewman

Vial Hunter

Ranger

It's tricky to know what kinda thing you're after. Do you have any examples you were kicking around?

A lot of good names have been said here. If it's clearly written "Primary Class : Caberjack / Sub class : Hunter", for example, then the extra/cool name could be random. Then, you could have many Caberjack-Hunters with all different titles

- Haru Mallari the Shadowjack

- Bernice Mallari the Guerrillajack

- Paul "Mr. Pancakes" Mallari the Commando

Tis true, but I guess it's all down to how they're merging the traits.

That is, if the traits are the same each time for the hybrids then they'll be a very distinctive class of their own, so if they went with slightly different variations of names there's need to be a symbol or colour to differentiate between classes.

However, if it's always a random mix of skills that's when it doesn't really matter so much, as the groups would be so random by the end it would be hard to tie them down.

Say the parents are hunter and camber jack, but the grandparents were hunter and Alchemist, would the skill tree have a mix of all 3 skill sets throughout? (more preference towards the parents, but gramps could sneak in with one odd/good/bad skill)

Say the parents are hunter and camber jack, but the grandparents were hunter and Alchemist, would the skill tree have a mix of all 3 skill sets throughout? (more preference towards the parents, but gramps could sneak in with one odd/good/bad skill)

Only Parents would have an impact on their kids, this I am pretty sure.

Smiles

...I can't imagine the class of the children being determined by anything other than: Primary Class of Regent + Primary Class of Partner.
I'd actually prefer a tiny bit of randomization in this, with the majority (~80%) going Primary Regent // Primary Partner and a subset (20%) getting Primary Regent//Something Else. Maybe that means they're guaranteed non-hybrids, maybe that means they use the Regent's Secondary, or maybe it's just a straight RNG roll to determine the secondary. I do like the idea of this being a relatively stable system that still incorporates the occasional curveball, though.

Definately! I think it would add something more to it, even if it is just a 50/50 between each skill on the skill tree.

For example your first skill choice for a hunter caberjack hybrid would be either:

caberjack/caberjack

caberjack/hunter

hunter/caberjack

hunter/hunter

etc for all choice skills. Then maybe something unique for the hybrid class as the last skill! :D

With Caberjacks, it is easy to riff off with a 'jack' ending for hybrids.

Hunters is more difficult, but you can possibly take the spirit the 'Hunter' name, with things like:

Predator

Works less well with this focus though...

Hawker or Vandal. Or something.

Smiles

I think it's not too early to start picking favourites. It's been over a day. I've gotta say it is kinda hard to start naming these classes from just a one-line description of their concepts (I mean, the devs probably had your own concepts in mind when designing the skills, and we don't know what they are!) But here are the concepts and names I like best:

Easy Picks:

Shadowjack

Obviously

Mechanist.

My concept is that the Alchemist+ hunter combos involve inventions and mechanical skills. The mechanist has developed a thrower that includes inspirations from the crossbow (somehow) to throw more accurately.

Hard Picks:

[del]Boomja...[/del] Silly me, What I meant to say was Thunderjack

Predator.

In the natural vs. mechanical classes system in my head, it makes sense that two wild classes would produce and even wilder class!

Very Hard picks:

Brewmaster

Seems appropriate. Would be pretty funny.

I'll be honest, none of the above seems "right". I have this concept of a "Hunter nerd" who's managed to build and design exploding arrows and is crazy enough to use them, but I can't think of a name that would suit them... My ideas were Tinkerer and engineer, but neither seems very... hero-y.

English is not my native language, so apologies if these sound utterly, completely weird to the native ear.

Alchemist / Caberjack - Engager/Knockram

Alchemist / Hunter - Striker/Bomber

Caberjack / Hunter - Stalker/Predator (I just saw someone else had the same idea)

Caberjack / Alchemist - Warhead

Hunter / Alchemist - Flinger/Slingshot

Hunter / Caberjack - Blunderbuss

I might add some more later.

I'll also throw in a vote for Shadowjack, but for the Caberjack/Alchemist, I like Thunderjack, which seems to capture the blast-focus well while hanging on to the -jack suffix. Along similar lines...

Alchemist/Caberjack: Pugilist, all about getting up in your grill.

Alchemist / Hunter: Demolitionist, applying explosions to juuuust the right spot.

Hunter / Alchemist: Howitzer, your long-ranged explosion delivery system

Hunter / Caberjack: Predator is a good suggestion (From thekonfuzed below) that bungles the spelling theme but keeps the "-ter" sound well. Bushwhacker was also a good suggestion, and Impeller sounds like a forced-movement specialist that's more precise than I'd expect a Caberjack-based class to be.

Sign in to follow this