Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KestrelPi

Bloodline Backers Unite! We want custom bloodlines too, right?

I'm mainly addressing this to the bloodline backers who paid to get their own bloodline into the game but obviously everyone is welcome to offer their thoughts!

So: we paid money in order to get our names or whatever name we wanted to invent into the game in the form of a bloodline with its own colours, crests, mottos and so forth.

And that's awesome!

But I hope you agree with me that the game would be better if anyone playing it could create their own custom bloodline and choose it for their own game.

It wouldn't be the same as what we're getting - we have the chance to appear in other people's games because our bloodlines will appear in every game of massive chalice. But wouldn't it be great if the bloodline editor allowed everyone to personalise the game for themselves a bit? Even if the flag choices were limited to existing banners which can be re-coloured, I think that would be enough.

I'm not just being nice to people who didn't back at the bloodline level. I don't know about any of you folks, but I, too, want to be able to create more custom bloodlines. Not just the one that I made, but others too. I want to make houses based on all of my friends, and be able to select them as starting bloodlines for the game as well as my own. (And selecting multiple starting bloodlines would be cool!)

A short while back Brad said that this is something they'd like to do, but they only want to do if if they felt that the bloodline backers were cool with it. So I really hope you agree with me, that not only am I cool with it, but I think it would make the game better for everyone.

So, are you with me?

This is cute, but it's by no means a priority. Nor is it really "required" per se in the first version of the game, when there are thousand of bloodlines in the game already.

Still... the Highhawks...

Sure, but I would say that of the 'optional' features that remain, this is a high priority one.

And the reason that I say that is that more than once I've seen people who haven't been involved in watching the game grow over the last year being really confused as to why there aren't customisation options here, and I totally get that. Especially almost anyone who has played XCOM, for example, has tried to name their soldiers after friends and stuff, so it's almost expected at this point. And this game could have the best customisation of all, not just naming people, but whole bloodlines, giving them a motto, a battle cry and so on.

It's certainly a very requested feature from people who are new to the game, and I think when the game is released more than one review will notice it as a significant omission if it doesn't happen. Not enough to condemn the game, but still - I do think it's an important way to give people more 'ownership' of their particular playthrough of the game.

I'd totally welcome the option for all players. As a backer who got to create a bloodline that will appear in the game by default, I don't feel like my contribution would be diminished by players creating bloodlines for themselves in-game (to be honest, I wouldn't care if they could add stuff to the base game for everybody - the more the merrier, I say \o/).

That said, I trust the dev team's instincts on whether it's worth focusing on (I do agree with the "sense of ownership" thing that would be gained, though it's definitely not the only option for letting players invest themselves more in their game).

I'm fine with people creating their own for playthroughs at the start, since our bloodlines will come up during a playthrough. I'd be less interested in giving people the ability to completely change existing bloodlines in the game willynilly.

Smiles

I'm fine with people creating their own for playthroughs at the start, since our bloodlines will come up during a playthrough. I'd be less interested in giving people the ability to completely change existing bloodlines in the game willynilly.

Smiles

Yeah, I don't think you should be able to overwrite existing bloodlines. The way I envision it is a menu option called 'bloodline creator' or something where you can create and save new bloodlines and edit ones you've saved, and then when you start a game, you can choose up to 5 bloodlines to appear in your initial pool of heroes (or however many families actually show up by default, I don't remember)

didnt we have this topic already?

As i said before it would make a lot of people happy, make the game better overall and it doesnt harm anyone.

so if feasible please go ahead im definetely okay with it :)

didnt we have this topic already?

As i said before it would make a lot of people happy, make the game better overall and it doesnt harm anyone.

so if feasible please go ahead im definetely okay with it :)

It has cropped up before, yes, but not for a while and not many people responded to it, so I thought it was worth reviving now that a lot of new players have turned up and are saying that they'd like to see these kinda customisation options.

Per Brad, this is already (tentatively) on the docket for a post-v1.0 update. LINK

It's definitely not going to be possible at our initial release! This was a special thing for our Kickstarter backers.

We talked about the idea of allowing people to create their own inside of the game, like way down the road. But it's a decent chunk of work to convert that web tool to be used inside the game. We wouldn't do this for quite a long time after the release of the game and we would try to get opinions from our Bloodline tier backers before we did it. I feel like it would just make the game more awesome for everyone, but I don't want to upset anyone and make them feel like they were getting ripped off. Would you guys be upset if we did that?

The implementation I'm thinking of would only allow you to alter the STARTING Bloodlines of the game. All other Bloodlines for characters (from recruitment, mission rewards, random events, etc) would be pulled directly from the backer Bloodlines. So it would never be as cool as having your work our the full database. :D

Thanks for your opinions on this topic! I love the idea of integrating the Bloodline Editor into the game one day. I hope that we’ll be able to do it! :D!

Per Brad, this is already (tentatively) on the docket for a post-v1.0 update. LINK
It's definitely not going to be possible at our initial release! This was a special thing for our Kickstarter backers.

We talked about the idea of allowing people to create their own inside of the game, like way down the road. But it's a decent chunk of work to convert that web tool to be used inside the game. We wouldn't do this for quite a long time after the release of the game and we would try to get opinions from our Bloodline tier backers before we did it. I feel like it would just make the game more awesome for everyone, but I don't want to upset anyone and make them feel like they were getting ripped off. Would you guys be upset if we did that?

The implementation I'm thinking of would only allow you to alter the STARTING Bloodlines of the game. All other Bloodlines for characters (from recruitment, mission rewards, random events, etc) would be pulled directly from the backer Bloodlines. So it would never be as cool as having your work our the full database. :D

Thanks for your opinions on this topic! I love the idea of integrating the Bloodline Editor into the game one day. I hope that we’ll be able to do it! :D!

Hum, I remember this post, that's what inspired me to bring the topic up again here, but I don't remember it being so definite about not doing it at first.

Only thing I will say is that this was posted up before the beta, and way before Early Access, so I wonder whether the situation has changed somewhat now that the game is available to play for anyone who wants to.

Again, agreed it's a lower priority than a chunk of other stuff in the game between now and spring but I do think it's important enough to keep on the radar.

I have a strong hunch it'll become the most-demanded feature, once the dust settles.

@Kestrel: I think it's more than just valuing the backers and an editor being low-priority. Making, say, an easy-to-use Crest editor for a commercial videogame takes a lot of work. Building tools is harder than using them. It's more of the idea being a combination of "low priority" and "high fidelity".

Dammit... I was right...

@Kestrel: I think it's more than just valuing the backers and an editor being low-priority. Making, say, an easy-to-use Crest editor for a commercial videogame takes a lot of work. Building tools is harder than using them. It's more of the idea being a combination of "low priority" and "high fidelity".

Dammit... I was right...

I have an idea of what would be involved, having created various games myself :) My short-term solution to having to produce complex UI here would just be to allow the player to choose from any of the the 1000s of player created crests when they create their bloodline, and maybe give them the option to change the primary and secondary colours.

Also, fully acknowledged that this might not make it in and shouldn't override more important stuff, but I differ in that I do think it's important. Not as important as other things, sure, but I predict that the absence of these options will be noted and would, I think, be a valid gripe.

I like the idea, though I'm not a bloodline backer. I would be glad just to be able to select a main family at the start of the game.

I'd love to be able to make my own bloodlines and to download more player creations, having custom packs of bloodlines would be great. I'm pretty sure within 24 hours of a bloodline maker for everyone coming out we'd have all the houses from Game of Thrones.

I'd love to make my own bloodline.

I'd also like it if every keep in the kingdom looked different and flew the flag of the Regent, and if I could see what the battle cry is without having to take the hero into battle.

I'm sorry for being selfish but I would rather just keep it to us original backers. Maybe limit the creativity or just slow default banners for those creating their bloodline in game.

However; I suppose with how many bloodlines in the game already it wouldn't change much if a player just edited/created a bloodline in game

I'm sorry for being selfish but I would rather just keep it to us original backers. Maybe limit the creativity or just slow default banners for those creating their bloodline in game.

So that I understand your position, why does it matter to you whether someone else can create a personalised bloodline in their own game?

I'm asking because I genuinely don't understand what there is to lose from this - backer bloodlines will still show up in other people's games, and everyone (including backers) would be able to create ones which will just appear in their own game.

But perhaps there's a drawback I haven't considered.

It doesnt matter. Im just being selfish. I backed the game because I like it but I paid the extra because I would put a unique touch in the game that's visible to everyone in a way. By letting people customize a bloodline in the game cheapens my reward a bit in my eyes.

But I realize it's just a selfish idea. In the end my bloodline is still in the game so it doesn't hurry anyone

My last post on this had a bit of a neutral-observer vibe to it, so to be clear: I totally support in-game bloodline customization as long as it isn't overriding anyone's Backer lines. Using it as the Core bloodline or limiting the player to a predefined number of custom Slots (5? 10?). I'm not even worried about it crowding them out -- with thousands of backer lines and the near-necessity to Recruit Heroes once or twice during a playthrough means that backer lines WILL come up.

As a bloodline backer, I totally support letting your average game owner some customization options for their own copy of the game.

As a $20 backer, I would LOVE the ability to create my own clan at the start of a game. 'Twould be so rad.

FYI, just saw this on the steam forums:

Omichron [developer]

Here's a somewhat official source:

No, we currently do not have plans to put the bloodline editor into the game. It's something that we have considered, but there's the matter of development time as well as not being sure how fair it would be to backers that paid to get into the "create a house" tier. I wasn't aware the Prison Architect had a similar issue, but there you go.

But, while it's something that COULD happen, if the stars align right, in some unspecified future, the current plan for 1.0 is for that to NOT happen. Putting the editor in-game is not in any of our schedules or roadmap (except the wishlist one). I cannot stress this enough. Please do not be expecting it to show up as a surprise. We're not trying to surprise anyone.

I'm hoping that the rest of the team doesn't get mad at me for being so blunt in this post, but it's probably better than having you guys thinking that there's a feature on the way that we have not promised in any way.

The houses and house selection, as it stands how, are (is?) pretty much final (except for some shuffling of houses off the 'thematic' list into the 'non-thematic' as we finally get the puns hidden in them).

So please let us know if someone managed to sneak in a naughty banner in there.

[Edit: apparently body parts, even though they're not swears, get transformed into ♥♥♥♥♥ by Steam, so... naughty it is]

Smiles

More desirable for me (as a non-backer, though..) than a bloodline editor would be if the bloodlines were put into an xml file or something.

Then I would make a "mini-mod" containing Bloodlines from the long role-playing history of me and my friends and lure them into buying the game.

But, of course, I wouldn't want to step on the toes of any backer. So maybe there could be an additional pool of bloodlines for this.

I'd still like bloodline creator (for the initial start of the game), even if it seems like it isn't going to happen.

Smiles

I'd still like bloodline creator (for the initial start of the game), even if it seems like it isn't going to happen.

Smiles

I don't care about the Bloodline editor, but I was kinda dissappointed by the fact that the post implies that we're not going to see any surprise additions to the game in the next few months. So that's a bit of a bummer.

Gonna start the final 1.0 wishlist thread anyway once we get the next patch notes.

Smiles

Just to make clear im a Bloodline backer myself. (so that it isnt seen as whining)

well i can live with that not happening for release. even if its sad for the non-bloodline backers.

I will say again though that i absolutely stand behind opening this up for non-bloodline backers, it raises the quality of the game for non-bloodline backers.

Please reconsider your position there @Double fine. AFAIK not only said the reward that you get your Bloodline gets into the game (which happened) but it also didnt say that people arent allowed to make one (!) of their own on a playthrough.

Backer Bloodlines will be in the game and you will be surrounded by them there is no reason (imho) that non-backers cant make their own Bloodline.

tbh its hard for me to grasp why people would think this is unfair but if you want to make sure why dont you open a Poll for the Bloodline backers on this? that would make clear where the community stands in that matter.

The Reward is already fullfilled regardless of this decision.

I cannot stress enough, even if its only a "small" thing. I do believe this may be able to affect the sales quite a bit. It helps players to identify with the game, you could even advertise it.

I cannot stress enough, even if its only a "small" thing. I do believe this may be able to affect the sales quite a bit. It helps players to identify with the game, you could even advertise it.

I'm a bloodline backer too -- but I suspect the system to create the bloodline isn't a small thing to put into the game, and that is why it isn't part of the release. But I agree that I think the a bloodline creator gives more legs to the game for new people going forward to stick around with it. Even I would like to just mess around with new ideas I've had since submitting my bloodline.

But I will hope for a good release and some post patching.

Smiles

I feel a bloodlne creator would be just the thing to draw people in myself. The ability to forge a bloodline and see how the bloodline grows over the course of the game is somthing not many games offer.

I really feel it would only be a positive addition.

That's bizarre how I don't get at all what the interest to create bloodlines. It's just a blazon, a name and a sentence. It's nice there's a diversity but it's such a small detail. I wonder what's wrong with me. :-)

That's bizarre how I don't get at all what the interest to create bloodlines. It's just a blazon, a name and a sentence. It's nice there's a diversity but it's such a small detail. I wonder what's wrong with me. :-)

nothing :P

But remember that quite a lot of people backed at a relatively high level to get their bloodline (permanently) into the game. So for them at least there is something worthwile in this. And Success speaks for itself, so making your own bloodline at the start will be something wanted for the game at least regarding most non-backers.

Sign in to follow this