Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bdavisshannon

Let's Be Positive: Maps!

So I thought it might be fun to talk about what we love about the maps. I personally love the circular Salt Stack level (boy I wish there was a more exact way to talk about this!). I started off in a really claustrophobic area surrounded by shells--broke my way out and proceeded around the circle. My biggest battle ended up being on the longest bridge in the game. I hit the "nearing the end" music as I crossed the bridge and was suddenly rushed from both sides. It was great!

What I think made it most memorable was that I had to shift my strategy from the start of the level to the end. At the beginning, I was back against the wall in a very closed area. By the end, I was out in the open, but just as back against the wall because we were surrounded.

How about the rest of you? Favorite levels? Favorite map features?

Are you implying that this forum isn't usually positive? I think the general feeling has been "It's a good game but what if you do these 10 things?"

I like the desert levels (the associated name escapes me right now). The AI there definately needs work, since the enmies have a habit of getting stuck, but the exploding bushes make it the most dangerous habitat, which makes. Things. Interesting.

My favourite map is definitely the forest/swamp one (is it called Marshlands?) with the trees and the reedy grassy stuff you can hide in for extra evasion. To me it's the one that feels the most distinct.

I like the Salt Stacks too, especially the way the map seems to change shape every time because of how the eggs are arranged and other blockers.

Oh, also a shout out to the keep levels. I'd like to see more of those, since they provide a nice bit of variety but are rarely encountered! Right now it seems like about 10% battles are keep battles. I could definitely stand to make that 15%, which would give us about 2 extra keep battles per 300 years.

Are you implying that this forum isn't usually positive? I think the general feeling has been "It's a good game but what if you do these 10 things?".

Not at all! I think the tone here is overwhelmingly positive. Just marking this off as specifically about likes :)

My favorite one is definetly the one with the orangy ground and the stone statues. Man I love that map

My favorite one is definetly the one with the orangy ground and the stone statues. Man I love that map

I'm struggling to think what the unique environmental feature of that zone is.

The other zones have them: explodey bushes, smoke geysers, tall grass, smashy eggs. What's in this one?

The other zones have them: explodey bushes, smoke geysers, tall grass, smashy eggs. What's in this one?

Pretty pictures, gaps and lots of shady spots for a stealthy approach. No environmental objects.

Pretty pictures, gaps and lots of shady spots for a stealthy approach. No environmental objects.

Do the shadowy spots actually do anything? I didn't notice, if they did.

Do the shadowy spots actually do anything? I didn't notice, if they did.

No, but when using non-stealthy heroes you have more trees and other opportunities to break line of sight than usual. Means you can actually get close to ranged units before they notice you.

But mostly it's just a visually interesting place :)

My reason? ApexHawk is right. It is gorgeous. Have you seen the the moai like statues? AWESOME

I really like the map with the long stone walls separating it into quarters. Stealthing your Hunters around to act as spotters while Alchemists toss flasks over the walls is a lot of fun.

@KestrelPi: I think the Fall level just looks so good, you can't help but love it ;)

@Nelyo: That level juxtaposed with the Mangrove levels really hit home because I had to use such different tactics. I have to admit that the only complete wipe I've had was in the Mangrove forest.

The Keep maps are cool because you can try to sneak around the edge. I also love that you get the real heroes assigned to that keep added to your fight! Such a fun mechanic, really makes it feel like a consistent world.

Are there any plans to put out a map maker? If there was a bunch of player made maps I think that'd add a lot of replayability to the game. Especially with steam workshop support.

I was not a fan of the keep maps, but there was one which was white stone and it felt a bit more like a viewing hall. Otherwise the Keep seems to be kind of frustrating. There's not traps for defense, there's no guards, and there's no peasants.

I like the Salt stacks. I think I like the Marsh maps, they kind of dual as a Jungle map. It might be interesting to have a hybrid map of Salt stacks, at the edge of a dessert map. Just occasionally to kind of tie the maps together. A march map with a lake, surrounded by dessert.

Are there any plans to put out a map maker? If there was a bunch of player made maps I think that'd add a lot of replayability to the game. Especially with steam workshop support.

I don't think anything like this is scoped for 1.0 release. After that, it is hard to say what additional things may happen.

Smiles

Hybrid maps is a really interesting idea!

I like the idea of maps on the edge of regions where they could have characteristics of two areas. I suspect this probably won't actually cut it, but I'd like it nonetheless.

Smiles

I really like the map with the bright yellow autumn colors. One time, I was randomly started in a walled off alcove, where I could hammer the Cadence with ranged attacks but they would have had to run around some boulders that would take 3-4 turns. They were confused and I just picked them off. It was awesome.

Least favorite maps: The beach map. It is really wide open, with a lot less rocks/cover to hide behind. I'm sure this is purposeful. It means you have to move fast and straight towards the Cadence.

Also, I don't like one of the indoor maps, the one with the really tall towers. The layout is cool, but the tall towers often get in the way from viewing my team, even after rotating around.

I was thinking about it and I think the unique feature of the autumn level is the amount of fissures between the land--they're close enough to allow clear ranged shots, but far enough away that melee units have to funnel in to be any good.

Sign in to follow this