Sign in to follow this  
CrashFu

Would Double Fine ever consider making a Kart Racer?

I am dead serious when I say that I've wanted to see a Double Fine Kart Racer for years.

Okay, to be fair, I think that everything needs a Kart Racer spinoff; Just the other day I was telling a friend that League of Legends and Naruto would make good Kart Racers, but... a Double Fine multi-franchise game is #1 on my list.

After all, one of the most admirable things about Double Fine is that they keep creating exciting new franchises instead of milking tons of sequels out of prior successes (Except for Costume Quest 2, but the sequel was great!) and today they have such a diverse and beloved collection to draw from because of that; imagine seating representatives from every game (that DF still has the IP rights to) in little go-karts and racing around Double-Fine game themed courses and pummeling the competition with familiar items (or racer-specific powers, perhaps)

Imagine Raz butting heads with Eddie Riggs, while flying down the corridors of a Space Base with chicken-headed aliens tearing down walls just before you hit them. Imagine Vella and Wren swerving around little Matryoshka people along the deck of a cruise ship. Literally none of it would make any sense at all, but that's never stopped anyone from a multi-IP Kart Racer before!

But above all, I'm interested to see what Double Fine could DO with a racing game; They've tackled so many different genres now and they always find such creative spins to put on each one.

EDIT 11/21 6am EST: Let's just say, would they consider and want to do such a thing IF funding and time management were not an issue?

While a nice thought, it really doesn't seem like the sort of thing Double Fine would do, and given their complete lack of experience with diving mechanics (except Brutal Legend, which does not count), I'm hesitant to join in with your plea for a Double Fine Racer.

Besides, we've got Mario Kart 8 and Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed. We don't need more kart racers.

While a nice thought, it really doesn't seem like the sort of thing Double Fine would do, and given their complete lack of experience with diving mechanics (except Brutal Legend, which does not count), I'm hesitant to join in with your plea for a Double Fine Racer.

Besides, we've got Mario Kart 8 and Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed. We don't need more kart racers.

I'm sure people said Tower Defense or Mech Combat weren't things Double Fine would do due to complete lack of experience within, but that didn't stop them from making Iron Brigade, eh?

Really, if there's one thing about Double Fine I respect as much as the constant development of new Franchises, it's that they're always trying their hand at different Genres.

And while Mario Kart and Sega All-Stars Racing were good kart racers, they're hardly the end-all-be-all of an entire genre. Developers don't typically avoid making a game BECAUSE there's a successful precedent, either; if anything, a rise in popularity of a genre is a reason TO make a game.

Of course, if nobody at Double Fine is interested in ever doing something like this (or even more likely, the company just has too many projects on their hands as it is), that's understandable enough...

But if not a Kart Racer, I hope we'll see a multi-franchise crossover game of SOME sort some day? A party game perhaps? Smash clones are certainly popular, but I could really only imagine about half of Double Fine's characters beating the pixels out of each other for no good reason.

I'm not the biggest fan of kart racers but I'd appreciate there being an option for Linux and Mac. As far as I know, there aren't any, except hobby projects like Tux Racer, and probably not any of a moderate to high budget. I'm sure Double Fine could make something interesting with the genre, though I'm not convinced it's the project it would make the most financial sense for them to be working on right now. They did however make Capy Fine Racing GP in collaboration with Capybary Games, though it was more of a PR stint for PAX, and isn't available for purchase (as far as I know).

I don't know. I mean, I've long given up predicting what Double Fine might do.

A couple of years ago I wouldn't have predicted that they'd make a turn based strategy game. Or an arcade game with a thumpin' dance soundtrack.

This is a BRILLIANT idea. I would LOVE a DF Kart Racer game! Please someone at DF see this and feel inspired!!!