Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Smiles

'Advanced' Cadence - Tiny Name Idea

One tiny thing about the pawns / cadence I kind of would like changed, would be the use of the term 'Advanced.' I'd love for something with a little more character to be used to denote the basic vs the upgraded version. Something that maybe alluded to the whole 'time' notion. Maybe the 'advanced' versions older and stronger or in their prime. e.g.

'Aged' Bulwark

or

'Timeworn' Bulwark

or

'Elder' Bulwark

or

'Ancestral' Bulwark

or

'Veteran' Bulwark

or

'Prime' Bulwark

or

'Evolved' Bulwark

or

'Eternal' Bulwark

However, I also understand that 'Advanced' was probably chosen because it pretty clearly defines how this version of the monster will be compared to the previous iteration -- tougher and potentially with new tactics. And thus, 'Advanced' indeed might be best, but I thought I would throw this out there anyways.

Smiles

It's a nice idea. Low priority I'm sure, but it adds color. And it looks like a change that should be fairly easy (says person with no experience in making games).

I also would like to see a slight difference in looks when “advance”. Although I know that resources are limited.

Yeah, this could/should happen. Do the bulwarks already have a slight difference in advanced?

Gee, the tiny name idea turned into a big re-skin idea!

Are we sure "Advanced" is the final name or is it just a placeholder that everyone has gotten used to?

I think it would be great to see some more lore based names for the upgraded versions.

For instance:

Seed > Sprout

Cradle > Overgrown Cradle

Rupture > Vile Rupture

Bulwark > Reinforced Bulwark

Lapse > Major Lapse

Twitch > Spasm

Wrinkler > Furrower

Making a change in the name of these things should be very easy. It should just a case of changing a few text strings.

Are we sure "Advanced" is the final name or is it just a placeholder that everyone has gotten used to?

I think it would be great to see some more lore based names for the upgraded versions.

For instance:

Seed > Sprout

Cradle > Overgrown Cradle

Rupture > Vile Rupture

Bulwark > Reinforced Bulwark

Lapse > Major Lapse

Twitch > Spasm

Wrinkler > Furrower

Making a change in the name of these things should be very easy. It should just a case of changing a few text strings.

I think either could be fun. Actual names for the advanced versions, or just at least something that denotes the advanced as I mentioned in my first post, that acts as a sort of honorary title for the upgraded pawns!

Smiles

I think completely renaming some of the enemies would seem odd, but definitely in favour of giving each of them differing prefixes. Or maybe different prefixes depending on the 'family' of cadence they're from, since right now it's not really obvious they're divided into families until you consider their colour schemes.

I would like funny qualificatives that the heroes would give to the "advanced" cadence, such as :

- scary

- ugly

- uglier

- impressive

- angry

It would be nice if there was some visual indicator for advance units as well, even if it's as simple as a color swap.

It would be nice if there was some visual indicator for advance units as well, even if it's as simple as a color swap.

I think in the past they have mentioned they were looking into this, but I can't recall for sure.

Smiles

Advanced gets the point across but it would be cooler if the names were more in theme. Be they a random themed prefix or a fixed thing per monster. Though if it is random I suspect people will also expect slight differences between the various advanced forms.

Definitely would be good to have visible distinction between advanced and basic without relying on text, because you can be caught of guard surprisingly easily. Totally missed that I was dealing with advanced ruptures until I actually struck one. Was really surprising to see a rupture survive through an attack again, not had that happen for about 125 years in my game.

I like keeping the name mostly the same because kills from those enemies will tie into your Research options. So we probably shouldn't rename a Seed to a Sprout because then it would be kind of confusing!

I do think there's a better word than "Advanced" though. "Ancient" , "Elder" , or "Timeworn" are all really cool suggestions! :D!

For instance:

Seed > Sprout

Twitch > Spasm

Wrinkler > Furrower

I kind of prefer this kind of thing over simply adding an (easily missed in the heat of battle) adjective to the existing name.

For instance:

Seed > Sprout

Twitch > Spasm

Wrinkler > Furrower

I kind of prefer this kind of thing over simply adding an (easily missed in the heat of battle) adjective to the existing name.

... How about ...

Seed > Seedier

Twitch > Twitchier

Cradle > Cradling

Bulwark > Buttress

Wrinkler > Ian McKellen

Edit: The semi serious suggestion is, ier/ing/ed just as a small change to held you notice. Although I keep meaning to ask, is it just me or are the Hit Point flags a little larger?

Sign in to follow this