• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
LastWindow

Gamasutra: Double Fine loses a project, lays off 12

Link

Really sad news. Hopefully those twelve people land on their feet well.

Oh, and:

Broken Age, Massive Chalice, and Grim Fandango Remastered, were unaffected

Or more importantly who have we lost? Double Fine is a team I know better than any other thanks to all the Amnesia Fortnights and other behind the scenes filming, feels like a hit closer to home than when it is any other company.

Man, that is so sad. I really feel for those guys! 'We've never had to lay off anyone for money before', Tim said in the first episode of the DFA-documentary. I had hoped the kickstarters for Broken Age and Massive Chalice would have allowed them to become 'immune' to these kind of publisher decisions.

Weird that the Gamasutra article mentions that Double Fine will continue work with publishers, such as Majesco. I would think the fact that they lost this project is a direct result of Midnight City/Majesco being in trouble. Do they have another unannounced title with them in the works or are they only working on Broken Age, Massive Chalice and Grim Fandango Remastered at the moment?

Or more importantly who have we lost? Double Fine is a team I know better than any other thanks to all the Amnesia Fortnights and other behind the scenes filming, feels like a hit closer to home than when it is any other company.

Yeah, that's my feeling too. :-(

I wish all the best to those 12 fine folks.

Unfortunate news, stay strong DF. Your creativity, goodness of spirit and hard work will pay off in the end.

Awful news, all round. Hope everyone at Double Fine and those that were let go can get back on their feet.

Double Fine, you are too beautiful for this world. I don't know who you 12 are, but I miss you already.

This is a disheartening news. I am terribly sorry for Double Fine and all those who have lost their jobs. Best of luck to them.

Oh my goodness that is so terrible!

I hope those twelve employees find work soon, and I wish them the best!

Sucks to hear this, for those affected, for those who now will loose some colleagues, and for those who had to take this descision and tell the affected.

I hope that those who will have to find new employers finds them quickly, and that they don't have to move for it unless they actually want to, and that the DF employees carry on doing what they do.

It might be rough times now, with these cuts and quite a few people being dicks on the internet regarding some projects, but everyone who has been involved in DF projects and everyone who keeps being involved should be proud of their work here.

DF surely wishes (and deserves) more financial success so that things like this doesn't happen, but even so, I think DF is a successful company, considering how long it has been around, and the amount of games it has succesfully delivered. For me, as a developer myself (not games though) it's definitely the most inspiring company I know.

Keep up the good work, and good luck to everyone. I will continue to support the future products of the company, like I have before with Psychonauts (x4), Brütal Legend (x 3), Costume Quest, Stacking (x 2), Iron Brigade, Middle Manager of Justice, Amnesia Fortnight 2012, The Cave, Dropchord, Broken Age, Amnesia Fortnight 2014, Massive Chalice, Hack&Slash; and Space Base DF-9 so far*.

* The titles missing are either Kinect titles (I don't own a Kinect) or titles I haven't had time to buy yet.

I'm with Cecil. DF 4 Laif.

*DF leather jacket on*

Let's ride.

Very sorry to have heard this news and wishing DF, especially those laid off, all the best.

Wow, that's very sad news, both for the 12 staff and for the project. I wonder what it could have been. Best of luck to those who are affected.

I can't decide if it would bother me more to KNOW what game they wanted to make but can't now, or to just never know.

Anyways, yeah, good fortune in future endeavors to the twelve.

Sad news. I'm sure this is hard for everyone involved. Hope the folks who were let go find new work soon. Best of luck to them and to Double Fine. Really hope the financial situation improves, as they are such a good developer.

Very sad to hear this news. I feel like Double Fine could use a break after all the crap they've had to endure lately and now this. It especially feels like a huge blow for a company of their size. Not to mention how close knit they come off as in what we've seen in the DFA documentary and the various streams.

This probably also means that they'll lose flexibility in terms of what kind of projects they can take on in the future. I hope they'll be able to get over this bump quickly and that we'll soon see less hostility directed towards the company.

Link

Really sad news. Hopefully those twelve people land on their feet well.

Oh, and:

Broken Age, Massive Chalice, and Grim Fandango Remastered, were unaffected

Just noticed that that article says Majesco handled Costume Quest 2... Is that true? Tim Schafer wasn't exactly shy about heaping scorn on them for the way they handled Psychonauts, if I recall correctly...?

I have to echo what the other people in this thread have said. I've loved watching your work over the course of Massive Chalice/Broken Age/Amnesia Fortnight, and I wish you all the best.

Thanks for being awesome, and I hope you can get back on your feet soon.

^ this. I feel like I know a lot of the staff thanks to things like Amnesia Fortnight. Hate to see anyone go :(

I believe Midnight City is a Majesco company

Yep, apparently Midnight City is one of Majesco's two main units left at the moment, in what seems to be a struggling enterprise, according to Gamasutra. It's not confirmed if they are the publisher who cancelled Double Fine's unannounced project or if it was another company, but the fact that Double Fine has at least one game (Costume Quest 2) with Midnight City certainly puts Double Fine in a rough position.

Best wishes to all those at Double Fine who were laid off. Hope you find new projects soon. With your talents, I am confident that opportunities will open up for you, but this is always depressing when it happens.

Kinda figured that one out based on his tweets recently, and he has had a tough time where The Cave didn't light up any charts, and the Spacebase project had to close. Still a shame though, and it must be tough for him, and you can never fault a person that puts in the kind of effort he has done at DF. All the best to him, and let's hope we see new projects from him soon.

If you read this JP, I really did enjoy The Cave, as did my co-workers.

This is incredibly sad. :( I agree with the others that posted here that I feel like I know Double Fine employees more than most companies due to the openness of their development.

Kinda figured that one out based on his tweets recently, and he has had a tough time where The Cave didn't light up any charts, and the Spacebase project had to close. Still a shame though, and it must be tough for him, and you can never fault a person that puts in the kind of effort he has done at DF. All the best to him, and let's hope we see new projects from him soon.

If you read this JP, I really did enjoy The Cave, as did my co-workers.

It's really a shame to see that JP was one of the ones let go. I really liked The Cave too. It's one of my top ten Double Fine games.

When people like JP are flat out let go, it's bad. I don't think holding hands and singing hymns is going to help Double Fine, they're going to need a unexpected hit release or some other form of unexpected income or we're going to be seeing more of these posts in the coming year.

Current ongoing projects keep the rest of the company busy for now - but there should be significant doubts whether either of Massive Chalice, Broken Age P2 or Grim Fandango Remastered will generate enough revenue to keep those teams funded on ongoing projects after that.

When people like JP are flat out let go, it's bad. I don't think holding hands and singing hymns is going to help Double Fine, they're going to need a unexpected hit release or some other form of unexpected income or we're going to be seeing more of these posts in the coming year.

Current ongoing projects keep the rest of the company busy for now - but there should be significant doubts whether either of Massive Chalice, Broken Age P2 or Grim Fandango Remastered will generate enough revenue to keep those teams funded on ongoing projects after that.

The thing is, when you run a software development company like this, you're bound to hit bad patches. The same thing has happened to my workplace, many times, and it takes a hell of a lot to bring down a company if they're responsible with their money. As as tough as a descision like this may seem, it's descisions like this that are a sign of of a responsible company (quite certain that not all those effected of the layoffs will agree with me though).

Our job as supporters should be to appreciate the work of the ones let go, and the ones staying, but also to not be doom mongers ourselves, but to try to make these forums a more interesting and positive place.

If Tim and the rest have managed to keep a company like this running for more then 14 years, then I'm quite certain that they will be able to go throug this patch also.