Sign in to follow this  
LastWindow

Gamasutra: Double Fine loses a project, lays off 12

I, like others, have invested a lot in caring about the good people at DoubleFine and the work they do. So it's that much more personal and dispiriting to see Double Fine have to make literally one of the last decisions they'd ever want to make. Tim being adamant about keeping their good people on means that any amount lost is big but 12 people is devastating. That's a whole team's worth of people that could have kept on making a great game and that's just...I don't even know. Plain and simple Double Fine is a family and one of the most inspiring and wonderful in the industry. It breaks my heart that some of the great people I've met from DF and some I haven't yet are some of the ones that have had to move on.

Of the two we know so far, John Bernhelm hits me more because I met the man at PAX East this year and he was unbelievably nice and loved the opportunity to talk Massive Chalice and Steed with the man. This is the story with every person who had to move on (for now at least) that it couldn't be happening to nice and better people. On the other hand, it was a privilege to meet the DF people I did who might happen to be in this 12 person group.

Someone pointed this out and it's telling that layoffs didn't happen after they had to pull out from Spacebase DF-9 to stay afloat (and get treated to a lot of unnecessary flak concerning that although circumstances make criticism totally fair as well), but a publisher pulling out. If the culprit is indeed Majesco downsizing and Midnight City suffering along with it, which seems rather likely, then it's extra frustrating to see DF get any amount of shit over this because the root isn't even necessarily Midnight City but Majesco. I've met Casey Lynch a few times now and that man is a fantastic human being and I don't doubt for a second that he wanted more than anything to keep this project going. That Casey's been let go by Majesco of all people tells me that this has nothing to do with quality of the project and the people involved and everything to do with Majesco having little money for any of it.

Thanks for the confirmation, Bert. Now that it's been a couple weeks, any chance we could get a list of people who were affected?
I understand wanting to know but I don't think it's appropriate for me to say.

Okay, no problem. Please keep my request in mind and pass it up the chain of command, if appropriate. In the past there has been a 'send-off' of sorts for people who were leaving the company that gave some closure to their story. I know this is different, but I sorta feel bad not being able to name each person.

I will rest easy at night knowing that as soon as Black Lake goes to market, DF will make a bazillion dollars and everyone can come back.

#Facts

Also, I hope Patrick finally finds the time to make Bad Golf 3.

I'll settle for a list of people that annoyed you in high school, and their mother's maiden names. I've been itching to call some people out of the blue, and try to convince them that I'm really their father.