Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Asirrelle

Have you posted a review on steam?

Hey guys, I've just written my first steam review in the 8 years I've been on steam.

With things like social media and Metacritic it's important to voice your opinion, because your opinion matters. Probably a lot more then you think it does.

Generally speaking we only ever say something when we're annoyed or have something negative to say, therefore I think it's important to take the time to write a review to say the contrary.

This way games like Massive will gain a better online presence, more people will be inclined to buy the game, and this team and other will be able to make more games similar to this style and genre.

Anyway, check out the link below and write a review of your own! It doesn't have to be long;

'I really like this game, recommend', or 'This isn't really the game for me, don't recommend'.

Start expressing your views, that's the only way you'll get more of what you like in media :)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/246110/

Of course, if you feel you need to wait for the final game build before you post a review that's great too :D

I plan to give it a review eventually. Until then, I upvoted steam reviews that look genuine and interesting.

Smiles

Steam says MC has "Very Positive" user reviews so far, with 137. Hopefully we can continue to get the number up if things continue to turn out how people desire!

Smiles

I figured 40 hours was enough to recommend the game in its current state. I'll probably update my review once it comes out of early access.

I'm going to wait until closer to release to write mine, (and after I've completed a full campaign) but from what I've experienced so far I know I'm writing a positive review.

It's great that the game is being appreciated so much so far; maybe this will scare off some of these annoying detractors, when they realize how stupid they look saying negative things about Double Fine in the wake of a very good and successful game like this.

now i voted no because i didnt write a review (nor plan to it) "Would you recommend this game?" was the actual qeustion of the poll though, now i feel stupid.

the game is great. :P

now i voted no because i didnt write a review (nor plan to it) "Would you recommend this game?" was the actual qeustion of the poll though, now i feel stupid.

the game is great. :P

Whoops, me too :P

I plan to write a review at some point, but at the moment the existing reviews capture my opinion of the game pretty well.

The positive reviews are growing (and I suspect that to continue as the next patches get released). Interestingly, I think some DF detractors are trolling the reviews to downvote all positive reviews, since it always looks like the positive ones aren't found helpful by others, ha. But I expect things to balance out in the long run.

Smiles

I submitted what I thought was my first review, but I apparently posted a couple of really negative ones a few years ago *shrug* So my first positive review I guess?

The positive reviews really help us out! Thanks guys! :D!

And Smiles I noticed that, too! I definitely think that people are upvoting the negative reviews and downvoting the positive ones. It's a bummer to have such a positive overall % but then scroll down and see a bunch of red thumbs in the "most useful" section! :(

And Smiles I noticed that, too! I definitely think that people are upvoting the negative reviews and downvoting the positive ones. It's a bummer to have such a positive overall % but then scroll down and see a bunch of red thumbs in the "most useful" section! :(

I'm sure it's the same people that were abusing the review-rating system to silence anyone who reviewed Spacebase positively. They've really got a beef with Double Fine. :(

At least with Massive Chalice, the much higher ratio of positive reviews to negative ones will matter more to people, and take credibility away from the negative reviews unless they can make a really good case for their dissatisfaction.

well normally i dont do reviews there but you are right in context i see this game treated unfairly. i will put one up as well soon :)

Haters gonna hate :(

Sadly this is running on the tail of space base, so people are willing to paint it with the same brush without fully experiencing the game or looking at what patches will be released in the future.

One of the negative reviews stated that this was the finished game 1 or so patches ago, and there would only be tweaks to the ui and bug fixes left to update.

In time these views and fears should change, there will be something new to get angry about, for now just don't let it get you down and just ride the wave. The best thing to do is continue to make a great game, then all the irrelevant negative feedback will lose whatever tiny threads of weight they've got behind them and will just look small and petty. For example, I read one review that simply hailed Doublefine as the new EA. Heck, with reviews like that who needs independent thought! I'm all for leaving negative feedback if you truly thought you didn't get your money's worth, but don't just say the company is evil :\

And on that note, everyone compares this to Xcom, and some say it's not as good or a poorer version. Xcom cost £40 when it was released, Massive Chalice costs £22. Half the price, but just as much content!

Maybe people fine it hard to associate the cost of a game with its content? Shadow of Mordor, bought it in the steam sale for £30, really long game, but does this make it a better game? Certainly it's more bloated! But it boils down to the gameplay mechanics which are fundamental to any game the rest is just padding added by a AAA status. Imagine what Massive Chalice would be with a AAA back account? Would it be overly different? I think not. We'd see more character models (fat, thin, big, small), perhaps more locations, but this would be just that. Padding. The gameplay mechanics and over all back bone of the game would be the same, just with a fancier ribbon tide around it.

So if people complain that a game they bought for half the price of a AAA game doesn't match the standards of a AAA game, maybe they should stop pirating and start paying a AAA price for everything!

I'm sure I had a point in here somewhere... then I started waffling.... mmm... breakfast.

The XCOM comparison both works in MC's favour and against it.

For a start, yes you're right in noting that XCOM was twice the cost when it came out, but I would argue it has more content in it too, in that there is greater level variety and a couple more mission types, and especially with the (standalone) expansion more in the way of research options. It's clear that Massive Chalice was a game made on a lower budget, and that's fine, but a lot of people don't see the motivation for playing this when they could be playing XCOM.

But that's not really fair, because the game is NOT XCOM in so many different ways. Even without the generational stuff and the bloodlines, the tactical considerations in battle are rather different. XCOM was all about controlling the battlefield by using cover and careful advancement in combination, as well as verticality where possible. Massive Chalice is much more about using the individual abilities of the classes to handle crowds, which is then given flavour by the different environmental elements of the level types. I'm not sure that completely nails it, but it's a different feel. Positioning is still important in MC, but in a different way.

But because it's like XCOM, people criticise it for not including things that it really doesn't need, like overwatch or cover systems that work like XCOM.

True.

It's the whole 'I want innovation and something new, but it damn well better be exactly the same as what i've already got or help me god!'

Overwatch would be very strange for close combat. I kinda like not having it as it forces you to search for the enemy rather then sit in wait. And you never find just one, it'll always be a party of the blighters chillin around the corner :P I love how they all just colectively turn their heads as if going 'Huuuurr?' :D

I plan to eventually write a review (which will be positive, despite my own difficulties) but I feel like doing so before it's close to release is a bit premature. But I do plan to write one.

As for the poll, I've already suggested it to a couple of people. That and my wife has asked me for a copy as well, mostly due to watching over my shoulder.

The XCOM comparison both works in MC's favour and against it.

For a start, yes you're right in noting that XCOM was twice the cost when it came out, but I would argue it has more content in it too, in that there is greater level variety and a couple more mission types, and especially with the (standalone) expansion more in the way of research options. It's clear that Massive Chalice was a game made on a lower budget, and that's fine, but a lot of people don't see the motivation for playing this when they could be playing XCOM.

But that's not really fair, because the game is NOT XCOM in so many different ways. Even without the generational stuff and the bloodlines, the tactical considerations in battle are rather different. XCOM was all about controlling the battlefield by using cover and careful advancement in combination, as well as verticality where possible. Massive Chalice is much more about using the individual abilities of the classes to handle crowds, which is then given flavour by the different environmental elements of the level types. I'm not sure that completely nails it, but it's a different feel. Positioning is still important in MC, but in a different way.

But because it's like XCOM, people criticise it for not including things that it really doesn't need, like overwatch or cover systems that work like XCOM.

XCOM has also dropped in price over time, in many ways Massive Chalice is competing with XCOM as it is sold now, not XCOM on release.

I agree that the tactical combat is very different between the two, I feel thatt he lack of cover or overwatch in Massive Chalice dramatically changes how the game is played, it is much managing line of sight, distances and stuns to reduce the cadence opportunities to attack rather than a straight fight and flanking around cover.

ahaha, every Let's Play I've watched so far, someone goes "But where's the overwatch button, how do I do that?"

It took me a number of battles before I figured out that the defense in MC is primarily based around staying out of Line of Sight and ambushing the enemy, rather than hunkering down behind cover so you're visible but hard to hit. I feel like that should be taught by the game less subtly in the first mission or so

Don't really see the issue. Reviews of early access games are clearly marked "Early Access Review" on Steam, and so there's no chance of someone being misled.

Don't really see the issue. Reviews of early access games are clearly marked "Early Access Review" on Steam, and so there's no chance of someone being misled.

You say that, but most of the nasty reviews on Spacebase are marked "Early Access Review" (followed by: Playtime: 0.2 - 0.6 hours) and that was enough to give the game a fatal reputation.

The average steam user clearly does NOT factor in amount or recentness of experience or any kind of objectivity when deciding if a review is credible; Whichever side is in the majority (or talks the loudest) is the only one that gets payed attention to in most cases.

Or whichever comment is the funniest.

"Thumbs up: Teamkilled half my party with a clumsy bomb-thrower, Forced a man to marry his own cousin and appointed their 10-year old asthmatic, heart-condition suffering toddler to be my nation's chief warrior trainer. Way better game than Xcom."

Reviews like that always get so many upvotes. :-p

Hey dudes I just took a look at the page. Positive reviews are up to 83% and when I scroll down and look at Helpful Reviews there are a TON of blue thumbs in there! YEAH! :D!

It's a really nice thing to see right before I take a much-needed vacation for the holidays! Thanks you guys! :D!

You and your team earned every one of those blue thumbs, Brad! Enjoy your holiday!

Bonus mental image: Caberjacks cabering to the Nutcracker Suite. (seeds, nuts, same difference right?) Or Alchemists yelling out Santa catchphrases while they chuck flasks. "Ho ho ho!" *boom* "Merry christmas!" *boom* "SOMEONE'S on my naughty list!" *booooooom*

The tag is exactly why I don't write reviews for early access.

It's a waste of time. People reading it down the line won't know in what state I wrote the review, whether my complaints were fixed or whether the things I like were wrecked or whether my review's based on anticipation for things I'm looking forward to.

And then if I want to explain later, I'd have to go back edit and re-write bits. I might as well just write it at the finished state of the game.

You and your team earned every one of those blue thumbs, Brad! Enjoy your holiday!

Bonus mental image: Caberjacks cabering to the Nutcracker Suite. (seeds, nuts, same difference right?) Or Alchemists yelling out Santa catchphrases while they chuck flasks. "Ho ho ho!" *boom* "Merry christmas!" *boom* "SOMEONE'S on my naughty list!" *booooooom*

Forgot hunters riding santa's sleigh while shooting arrows from the skies.

How about Caberjack's Caber is a giant painted nutcracker, the alchemists throw Christmas puddings, and the hunters fire candy canes! :D

A Steam review isn't only a review it's also a vote for the Steam rate of the game or Early Access.

I quoted it here and there, 85% up vs down is quoted like 4.5 stars or 8.5 for the game on Steam.

So a simple sentence is enough if you want vote and don't bother write stuff nobody will read.

Examples:

- Great game but caution it's still rough Early Access, thumb up.

- Boring and full of bugs, avoid the Early Access version no matter the temptation, thumb down.

It looks like a spate of new reviews have come in from the latest .9 patch. Still a low number overall (~200), but "Very Positive" so far.

Smiles

~225 reviews now. Still looking Very Positive. The latest patches have seem to turn a number out a number of positive reviews when looking at the ratio from positive to negative. Though there are still some gaming the rating system for reviews, it looks good overall.

Smiles

Sign in to follow this