Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Project Update 22: 11/26/14

Hiiii backers! Wanted to shoot you all an update on the goings on of the Broken Age team before we head out for a few days and gorge ourselves on giant piles of turkey and mashed potatoes!

The team has been steadily growing in size over the past month and progress is being made really rapidly now. The key milestone being that just last week we hit Alpha on both Shay and Vella’s halves of Act 2, leaving just the big finale section until we can say the entirety of Act 2 is at Alpha!

This has unlocked the ability to playtest Act 2 from the start all the way up to the finale, allowing people to switch characters throughout. We kicked that off in full last week and it has been super informative. So far we’re seeing exactly what we were hoping! Playtimes of just Act 2 have ranged from 8-12 hours, the puzzles seem to be providing a good level of challenge, nothing is really standing out as needing to be heavily re-worked, and most importantly people are laughing a lot and seem really pleased with where the story goes. YAY!

In parallel to all this Alpha development, the animators at both Double Fine and SuperGenius, as well as the audio team, have been charging forward on Beta work for the scenes that have professional VO already recorded. This has put Shay’s half of Act 2 well on it’s way towards Beta! Next week Tim is headed down to LA for the final major recording session with Vella, and at that point we’ll have pro VO for all of the remaining cutscenes ready so that animators can start taking them to final!

The goal now is to get all the finale work done so we can hit Alpha on all of Act 2 by the end of the year. That means, as you may have guessed based on recent updates and documentary episodes, the Act 2 ship that will deliver the complete adventure is now looking like it will be early next year. The game is looking really good and the team is working super fast, but we just gotta give the game the time it needs to really deliver on everything we’re hoping it will be.

Now that we have all the writing and design finalized and VO recorded, the remainder of development is much easier to estimate, so the production team is currently working to nail down a new schedule for finaling the game that we can use as a goal for the team and also share with you all.

Oh and did you hear?! Broken Age was nominated for Best Indie Game at this year’s Video Game Awards! We’ll be heading out to Vegas next week to attend the show and honor all the amazing games that came out this year. Keep an eye peeled and maybe you’ll see us in the crowd!

But first, time for a nice Thanksgiving break for the team. And in the spirit of giving thanks, let us thank you all for supporting us throughout these past 3 years and for being so patient. I hope those who have been following along with the documentary are able to see just how much love and effort the team is pouring into every frame of this game. That just takes time, but it will all pay off in the end!

J32nCE5.jpg

Sounds great. The estimated playlength sounds very good, and if I get 8 hours out of it, then it's more then I had hoped for. I would have been happy with 4-5 hours, like Act 1. :)

Make sure to take your time with it. I'm a $100 backer and happy with the result and progress so far.

Sounds great! I had no idea act 2 was going to be that much bigger. I tend to take these numbers with a grain of salt because usually they come in a bit high (I seem to remember 5 being estimated for act 1 when most backers seemed to be doing it in 4) but even if it's the low end or we get 6-8 more out of this then that's pretty good and will more than justify splitting the game into 2 acts.

Thanks for the update! No surprises on the extended ship date, but it really doesn't bother me. Have a nice break and good luck in Vegas!

So stoked!! I was expecting act 2 to be much shorter than that, so I'm really happy the playtimes are coming in so long... Great stuff. :D

Too bad the game won't wrap up by Christmas, the Holiday season could've been the perfect moment to cap this experience. ;-)

But if Part 2 turns out longer and deeper than the first, kudos to that.

Broken Age needs to go out with a bang, and to fulfill its potential of greatness! :-)

Wow, 8 hours for Act 2?! Crazy awesome. Took 4 hours for Act 1, so a 12 hour game is definitely the right size. Cannot wait until next year to play the completed game.

Great update Greg! Take all the time you need and make this game amazing. :)

DF has my full support and trust. \o/

That is great news :D i was afraid you would just cut it down to release before christmas and to keep production cost down. So happy that you deleay it till next year :D awsoome :D

Wonderful news! Take your time and make it awesome... just keep new episodes coming. Love to watch you work. :-P

Act I was great... and as to what you just revealed, Act II sounds to be twice as great...

Then, using simple math, it should result in the finalized game being 1 + 2 = 3 times as great! :cheese:

Happy holidays!

Ps: When can we expect the next episode?

Oh... while I'm at it...

Give my regards to 2 Player Productions who's made a fabulous documentary!

The fact that each character gets to explore the other person's environment has got to be a major reason the playthrough time would be longer than Act 1. A lot of artwork and animation is "already done" in those areas. In addition to being a fun idea (that will no doubt have lots of potential for funny situations), it helps Act 2 have more play time. Great idea!

Can't wait.

Hours in general are a bit silly, but games have always chained to time! Ha. Great work, and look forward to playing Act 2 ... and then trying to introduce it to some of my other friends new or returning to the genre.

Smiles

Thanks for the update, Greg.

I agree with everyone who says to take your time to make sure the end product is as good as it can be.

Happy Thanksgiving. :)

Play time sounds awesome, I hope the puzzles give bit more challenge this time!

As always, thanks for the update, and DF will always have my support! We (the family are now fans of adventure games) look forward to the second half next year!

Thanks for the update Greg. Enjoy the holiday season and a well earned break and it looks like we will have something exciting in 2015.

That's terrific news!!! Thanks for the update Greg. Wow - 8-12 hours! That sounds amazing. I really wanted to spend more time in the glorious world you guys created, so I can't wait :D

Sounds good. :)

You guys should really update the "DFA development update" page and the feed, so that backers get to see this production update. I just stumbled upon it by chance.

Ps: When can we expect the next episode?

The last one came out October 16 so hopefully in about 2 weeks, if they're back on the 2 month release schedule.

Great news, thanks ! I am looking forward to play episode 1 again before playing this one.

As other have said, please post in the update thread so that everyone can know :)

Oh almost missed this post ... dfa backer page should be updated!

But great news ... looking forward to play Act II.

Ahhh good call will get it on that page! And yep, should be another DFA episode before the end of the year!

Sign in to follow this