Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CrashFu

Teamkilling, Consequences, and Workarounds..

So as we're all familiar with by now, Alchemists are teamkilling jerks.

It's heartwrenching for US, but they and their (surviving) teammates never seem to care. That's so cold, man!

I propose some sort of "Shame" or "Guilt" trait to be gained on killing a teammate. Perhaps it PREVENTS that hero from throwing flasks within X squares of a teammate ever again, (or using any other potentially dangerous ability in their general direction) or interferes with XP gain (because they hate themselves so much they never acknowledge their own accomplishments again?)

Or maybe the trait itself applies a secondary trait to any OTHER heroes nearby, a mild "Distrust" debuff; Nobody feels safe fighting shoulder-to-shoulder with someone who carelessly caused their sibling or friend's death.

Either way, this Shame/Guilt trait might last the hero's entire life or it might go away after a couple of successful excursions without incident. Or maybe having another teammate attack THEM (has a chance to) knock the trait out?

Also, perhaps something like the following exists in the game already and I just haven't found it yet? But I think it would be a neat strategic option to have a "Chemically Reactive" Caberjack armor that reduces damage from alchemist flasks to 1 and applies some sort of buff for a couple of turns on getting flasked.

I mean, strategically avoiding situations where your front-line fighters MIGHT get hit with a stray flask is part of the game, but it would be pretty fun to have the means to subvert that and get to rain flasks down around your own man without care, damaging enemies and empowering the ally at the same time. :cheese:

(if that does exist already, let me know so I can strike-out this half of the post)

the shame trait/status would be awsome!.

there is the bone shell armour, which reduces all damage after the first instance to 1. so you could maybe pull off your stunt like that.

you will never get a caber armour that ignores flask damage though. alch flasks deal "magic" damage which is reduced by resistance which is given already by some Armour but is mostly boosted by intelligence. this is why mid to high lvl alchemists take like no damage from lapses, ruptures, cradles or there own flasks, an alch has high int, therefore a high resistance.

alchs have high resist from int, hunters have high dodge from agility, cabers have high hp and Armour.

we will eventually have hybrids so a caber/alch will (i assume) have good hp and armour as well as some decent resistance.

a caber-jack with the brainy trait will naturally take less flask damage.

this is why mid to high lvl alchemists take like no damage from lapses, ruptures, cradles or there own flasks, an alch has high int, therefore a high resistance.

Well, flasks are so gloriously overpowered that you'll destroy even an Alchemist with them. I actually had an Alchemist in the current version so fabulously inaccurate that he tried to throw a flask 2 squares and he blew himself up instead. I guess the lesson here is, never trust a Nervous man with volatile liquids.

I propose some sort of "Shame" or "Guilt" trait to be gained on killing a teammate.

Agreed.

This could be a personnality that would have the following effects (depending of class), that could exist by itself, and could be gained from killing a friendly unit :

- Alchemist : Cannot throw a potion that aims on an ally, and will not throw near an ally if the percentage shown is not 100% (which would be HILARIOUS with the Optimistic personnality, and disastrous with the pessimistic personnality). Other effects could be considered with bees.

- Caberjack : will not charge on a friendly unit. Will not knockback an enemy into a friendly unit.

- Hunter : will not fire a bone-barb bow if it pierces through a friendly unit.

Tangentially related, by way of "attacking teammates" .... I used Knockback on an ally once, did 0 damage to them but did stun them. Now I'm wondering if there are traits or attributes or armor or items that reduce stun chance? It'd be pretty funny to have my Caberjacks doing "the fastball special" with allies... Also does Armor in general reduce impact damage, IE when knocked into a wall or living thing?

I'm pretty sure I did manage to TK someone with a knockback involved somehow... a knockback, and either a rupture or one of those exploding red prickly plants, can't remember which.

your caberjacks cant hurt teamates with caber stun. welcome to bumpercars! if you cant move far enough to attack a cadence, move one hero to line up with the cadence and use your caberjack to knock him across the map, stunning the cadence. you can do this with charge too. my caberjacks are like human curling stones! i use this all the time it makes your team super mobile. that alchemist you moved up to throw 2 flasks? use your caber in the back to knock you alch in as well to knock out a badie. epic.

but hittng a wall or a boom bushwill still do damage. this isn't bad i used t once with an alch that had reactive Armour. knocked him back, e hit a wall, took 1 damage and then exploded killing a rupture who exploded good times

your caberjacks cant hurt teamates with caber stun. welcome to bumpercars! if you cant move far enough to attack a cadence, move one hero to line up with the cadence and use your caberjack to knock him across the map, stunning the cadence. you can do this with charge too. my caberjacks are like human curling stones! i use this all the time it makes your team super mobile. that alchemist you moved up to throw 2 flasks? use your caber in the back to knock you alch in as well to knock out a badie. epic.

but hittng a wall or a boom bushwill still do damage. this isn't bad i used t once with an alch that had reactive Armour. knocked him back, e hit a wall, took 1 damage and then exploded killing a rupture who exploded good times

Oh my god that's amazing. There needs to be a second or two in a trailer for the game, just to advertise the strategic viability of The Fastball Special.

an alchemist teamkill (regent killed her partner) on a keep defense mission is one of my most memorable missions in MC. I totally support a guilt/shame trait.

I propose some sort of "Shame" or "Guilt" trait to be gained on killing a teammate.

Agreed.

This could be a personnality that would have the following effects (depending of class), that could exist by itself, and could be gained from killing a friendly unit :

- Alchemist : Cannot throw a potion that aims on an ally, and will not throw near an ally if the percentage shown is not 100% (which would be HILARIOUS with the Optimistic personnality, and disastrous with the pessimistic personnality). Other effects could be considered with bees.

- Caberjack : will not charge on a friendly unit. Will not knockback an enemy into a friendly unit.

- Hunter : will not fire a bone-barb bow if it pierces through a friendly unit.

Yes.

Sign in to follow this