Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shmeier

UI suggestions - mostly pertaining to family relationships

I'll start by saying how much I'm enjoying the game so far, and will continue to enjoy it even if none of my suggestions come to anything.

I should also say I have only really followed development closely in the last couple of months and have only logged about 10 hours so far (year 180 of my first play through). Even so, I have some UI suggestions that I believe will enhance the user experience. Perhaps some of these have already been brought up or are under consideration (in fact, at least one of them makes reference to another thread).

1. Keyboard shortcuts. I expect some more are coming, but one in particular that I would love to see is when selecting a hero (for vanguard, regency, relic, etc.), to use up/down to cycle between characters (rather than having to scroll and click on them.

2. Hero relationships (siblings, spouse, parents, children) UI. As currently implemented, you have to click on the sigil to see basic information (e.g. name, level, age), and then click Info to go to that hero. What I would find much more intuitive and efficient is to mouseover for basic details, then click to take you to that hero's details. I feel as though this would make it easier to navigate the family tree, making it easier to feel invested in the family.

2a. I would also find it useful that when I click through to a hero in this way, that I go to the same "tab" of information about that hero that I was looking at on the other hero

2b. I feel as though the siblings should be sorted by age in this view (perhaps they are, though I feel I have noticed at least once that they were not). It might also be helpful to have a placeholder for the currently selected hero in this ordering of siblings to indicate at a glance where they are among their siblings

3. I'm loving the relic indicator on the sigil, and I think there is an opportunity for more indicators (within reason). I saw this brought up here (http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/15855/), but not expanded upon much. I think the most important would be to indicate regents/standards/partners, though adding bars or symbols to indicate number of battles/kills might be interesting/useful too. In particular, I would find this most useful in the family tree view.

4. Sagewright should keep its sigil. I fully realize this is much more than a simple UI change, and I'm afraid I missed the discussion about why the sagewright's sigil is cleared out when they are inducted, but I have multiple times been curious to know what family a sagewright came from. Particularly this has occurred when they were a partner at one point in their life, and so have many children. Putting it another way, I feel as though when the sigil is cleared, I lose information about the person, which breaks my engagement with the characters.

More generally, if there is some other way of viewing the family tree that is in the works, that may negate the need for some of the suggestions I've made, but I suspect that tweaking the existing infrastructure is a more reasonable near-term goal than adding completely new family tree functionality.

4.: NOOOOOOOOO THE WHITE SIGIL IS COOOOOOL YOU'RE MISSING THE POINT. BREAK TIES WITH FAMILY AND CLASS DAG-NABIT!

*ahem*

NOOOOOOO THIS I A BAD IDEA. ME NO LIKEY NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

*ahem* *ahem*

Good ideas, overall.

I would like to add another one I've seen around, and which is starting to make more sense the more I play:

Having the new Regent and the partner selected from the same screen.

This simply makes planning the pairing easier. At the moment, actually planning you choce for both the regent and the regent's partner means going all the way to your keep's "Heroes" tab and the back to the keep tab, and that's just not intuitive at all (keep in mind, I've been playing on a slow computer). I've seen a lot of let's players go "wait, oh man, I should have paired this and this" and having the ability to see the male and female choices simultaneously may lead to a different, more optimal decision than selecting one, then the other.

I have no Idea how this would be implemented and displayed, but... someone else has, right guys?...

Guys?... (or, if we're speaking in hyptheticals here, girls?)

Having the new Regent and the partner selected from the same screen.

This simply makes planning the pairing easier. At the moment, actually planning you choce for both the regent and the regent's partner means going all the way to your keep's "Heroes" tab and the back to the keep tab, and that's just not intuitive at all (keep in mind, I've been playing on a slow computer). I've seen a lot of let's players go "wait, oh man, I should have paired this and this" and having the ability to see the male and female choices simultaneously may lead to a different, more optimal decision than selecting one, then the other.

I have no Idea how this would be implemented and displayed, but... someone else has, right guys?...

Guys?... (or, if we're speaking in hyptheticals here, girls?)

The way I'd to it is to have the left side be a list of all the eligible regents and the right side be a list that changes to show all elegible partners for the currently selected regent. When you are happy with both choices, you can then click a button to accept both choices.

You'd also need to be able to only select a regent or not select anyone at all and have it handle those options as well. In the case of only selecting a regent, you would have to be able to open that window up again later with the regent locked in so you can pick a partner.

I agree with most of what you say here. I constantly find myself getting frustrated with the number of clicks to get to information. Keyboard shortcuts for screens and to get directly to specific screens would make such a difference, as would having hero info displayed by mouse over instead of a click.

Sign in to follow this