Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bdavisshannon

Strange AI Behavior

I thought it might be useful to have a single thread to dump this kind of info into. Have you seen the AI behave in a way that is just dumb? I have two behaviors that I see consistently:

Not Handling Walls: This applies to real walls and other gaps in the map. The AI seems to have a problem with long blockers. In one keep battle, a bunch (6/7) enemies got bunched up in a corner that was on a direct line to where my heroes had been fighting. When I found them I just dropped a couple Alchemist flasks on the whole group and took most of them out with no effort.

Ranged units getting too close: I've seen this with both Lapses and Bulwarks. If you go out of line of sight, the AI will explore to find you, but with both melee and ranged this exploring involves running up to the last position. I had this with a Bulwark and he just ran up next to me and left himself completely open to death the next turn. It seems like the ranged units should circle the last seen area, not rush in.

Bulwarks

Bulwarks seem to target Hunters who are Hidden as secondary targets with piercing.

Exploding Crab Thingies

Ignore the Caberjack's taunt, under specific conditions. If near enough to another squad member, a taunted crab will not move towards the taunting Caberjack, but explode where they are.

No reaction to getting shot from outside sight range

Dead Eye allows Hunters to shoot pawns from beyond their sight range. If there is no player unit in sight range, the AI will usually just stand there and take it until they die.

Twitcher swapping

If you stand 10-11 squares away from a Twitcher so they can see you, but can't reach you, they will not make a swap move. Instead they run at you and stop a couple squares short.

On the other hand, there are plenty of situations where you can't even see the Twitcher yet, but it decides to swap with someone in your vanguard. Usually this happens when one of the Twitchers original group moves to where it can see you first. This is probably intended behaviour, even though it feels rude.

Twitcher swapping I've had similar experiences - PS

If you stand 10-11 squares away from a Twitcher so they can see you, but can't reach you, they will not make a swap move. Instead they run at you and stop a couple squares short.

On the other hand, there are plenty of situations where you can't even see the Twitcher yet, but it decides to swap with someone in your vanguard. Usually this happens when one of the Twitchers original group moves to where it can see you first. This is probably intended behaviour, even though it feels rude.

Enemies seem to forget where the heroes are really easily, often seems like if no heroes are visible at the start of the turn they revert to completely random behaviour rather than for example, heading to where they last saw the heroes.

This is one of the reason Flarrow is so powerful, not only can the cadence not hit, they also seem to always revert to random movement.

I think Seeds and cradles should communicate with telepathy (within a certain range), and charge you in groups when one of them sees you.

Cradles and seedlings

Seedlings always becoming cradles when three are in proximity makes them less of a threat. Since firstly they loose a chance to attack and then can only attack once or twice, becoming less of a threat. So being swamped by seedlings, as the MC warns us about never really happens. It would be better if there was a ratio of say four seedlings to a cradle and they work as a team to lock down the hero's movement, while the cradle provides artillery support.

Cradles : They always aim directly on a hero, which often result in attacking cadence at the same time. They should be able to aim at tiles without heroes, adjacent to one or more heroes and no cadence, when available.

It seems strange that enemies don't seem to communicate. My heroes, if one sees an enemy all of them see an enemy. If one is attacked, the others are on high alert. They use teamwork.

The pawns act like completely autonomous individuals that can't communicate, which seems strange for something that are representatives of a unified sludge. It would be nice if enemies close to each other would all react if one spotted the heroes. Too many times I've spotted one, they've spotted me and it just runs in by itself to get killed.

Bulwarks

Bulwarks seem to target Hunters who are Hidden as secondary targets with piercing.

Yeah I wanted report that problem, but I would remove the "seem to". :-)

No reaction to getting shot from outside sight range

Dead Eye allows Hunters to shoot pawns from beyond their sight range. If there is no player unit in sight range, the AI will usually just stand there and take it until they die.

Right I quoted it too and often, but not only with Dead Eye but also without Dead Eye.

The AI should at least make them retreat or use an obstacle or rush if there's no other option.

Cradles : They always aim directly on a hero, which often result in attacking cadence at the same time. They should be able to aim at tiles without heroes, adjacent to one or more heroes and no cadence, when available.

I had a few time multiple heroes bombed and it's harsh. :-) Since then I put care in not grouping heroes against them. I think they should have a limited number of grenades and not waste them on a single hero but perhaps it would be too easy.

I didn't noticed much the problem quoted but it's perhaps because now I have almost constantly heroes not grouped too close against them.

It seems strange that enemies don't seem to communicate. My heroes, if one sees an enemy all of them see an enemy. If one is attacked, the others are on high alert. They use teamwork.

The pawns act like completely autonomous individuals that can't communicate, which seems strange for something that are representatives of a unified sludge. It would be nice if enemies close to each other would all react if one spotted the heroes. Too many times I've spotted one, they've spotted me and it just runs in by itself to get killed.

That's a classic, enemies linked avoid players abuse. I quoted sometime that suddenly 3/4 enemies (not pawns I consider not worth care) rush to the heroes despite they haven't seem them. It's rather bizarre and made me wonder if there was some link group when one die multiple come check.

But yeah it would be cool to have some enemies groups, not that they act as a single team, but that there could be groups like explained in the quote.

I quoted sometime that suddenly 3/4 enemies (not pawns I consider not worth care) rush to the heroes despite they haven't seem them. It's rather bizarre and made me wonder if there was some link group when one die multiple come check.

Apparently, in the lastest versions, the enemy's aggression level get higher as the mission goes on ; I read somewhere that they might start looking for heroes if you take too much time, or if there's only a few enemies left ... maybe that's the problem?

On the other hand, Twitchers that you haven't seen yet can switch/teleport with a hero. Maybe that's part of the game's difficulty ... they can smell you.

I quoted sometime that suddenly 3/4 enemies (not pawns I consider not worth care) rush to the heroes despite they haven't seem them. It's rather bizarre and made me wonder if there was some link group when one die multiple come check.

Apparently, in the lastest versions, the enemy's aggression level get higher as the mission goes on ; I read somewhere that they might start looking for heroes if you take too much time, or if there's only a few enemies left ... maybe that's the problem?

On the other hand, Twitchers that you haven't seen yet can switch/teleport with a hero. Maybe that's part of the game's difficulty ... they can smell you.

Time is hardly the point, it was clearly linked to a kill, well at least each time it was right after a kill, suddenly the move to the party. And few time I lost plenty time without to notice anything. I suspect some maps even if with random have sort of scripts, particularly during the maps of the last 50 years or last 30 years.

For the Twitchers I never quoted that and take care when I detect one to hide from them and show where I want the switch. But sometimes you don't have the choice as a combat leads you at some place. And sometimes you are bind to the switch at startup position.

But what I quoted once, was a Twitcher did the switch, that was normal he had seen the character. But then a second did a second switch as if he was seeing through the eyes of the first Twitcher. What happens perhaps is if your character has short sight and the Twitcher longer sight, perhaps the game doesn't show you the Twitcher. I don't know.

EDIT: About enemies being agressive, it tends be inefficient in such game because the player can pick multiple camping and ambushes tactics. But it's still hot if there's a mass effect with a sudden number to manage. Even with camping and ambush it can be non trivial. In fact few time something vaguely similar happened and I didn't saw it good and had part to retreat, I did a retreat and quoted it broke the rush. This cluing it was more a scripts than an AI parameter change.

The thing with a group of pawns coming in at once is because people were complaining about it taking too long to hunt down every last randomly moving pawn at the end of a mission. So now, when you've already killed most of the enemies in a map, any unrevealed enemy will rush towards the players until they are revealed. Sometimes that turns into a dangerous pack. Usually its just a convenience that lets you finish the mission faster.

I like the end rush for the reasons it was implemented, but I only see it work on the salt stack maps. It never seems to work very well on other maps

The Walls!

I have had it a few times where my troops would be on the other side of a wall to the enemy, they can see me over it, but they'll keep running up and down it rather then go around.

|

|

. .L''_''_ _ _

Ussally I'll end up ranging them to death with flasks and arrows, while they run up or righ a couple spaces then right back to the corner. As long as they're not ranged, this works a treat!

The thing with a group of pawns coming in at once is because people were complaining about it taking too long to hunt down every last randomly moving pawn at the end of a mission. So now, when you've already killed most of the enemies in a map, any unrevealed enemy will rush towards the players until they are revealed. Sometimes that turns into a dangerous pack. Usually its just a convenience that lets you finish the mission faster.

It's a very good feature but then I think sometimes it has a bug an a further monster doesn't come. I definitely had sometimes to search the last monster, perhaps a path the AI couldn't find.

For me that feature should be extended for some enemies groups, not systematically but sometime. Those hunts are very fun to manage.

Sign in to follow this