Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
foontas

too many clicks and standard equipment

I think a lot of people here find it mildly frustrating how many clicks it takes to do some things. Especially when you want to upgrade a piece of equipment for all your regents and partners.

I had two thoughts that may help that:

More keyboard short-cuts! maybe not short-cuts but a way for you to navigate the UI with some space-bars and tabs or something so you reduce the time it takes to move the cursor around the screen. I'm not a UI developer but I feel it needs some work, maybe being able to navigate the options using the arrow keys? or shortcuts to navigate Skills, Equipment and Info? and maybe a way to navigate into those directly via the name banners so you reduce a click.

My other idea was hereditary equipment loadouts. The offspring inherit the equipment loadout of the regent and/or partner of the keep.

It would make it much easier to juggle equipment because you wont have to anymore!

Thanks for hearing me out! I'm loving the game, dropped whatever AAA title I was playing and didn't even realise I've poured 35 hours in already.

I've never spent a similar amount of time in a single game other than Mass Effect (I think that was about 60)

I agree. Micromanaging Armor and Skills for every generation is annoying. One thing I would like is to have a prompt asking "Would you like to equip the Relic now?" after it is inherited. Because its the same model as the default weapon and its at least 3 clicks just to look at equipment let alone change it, I often forget to check if its equipped (25% of the time its not).

Inheriting equipment sounds like a great idea. I mean since the actual equipment (currently) costs nothing beyond research, there is no reason not to have characters equip Best In Slot items. Granted BIS is subjective as far as Weapons and Items go (Armor is 9/10 a no-brainer), using the Reagent as a template sounds like an excellent solution. Please think about this.

Ooh. Using the Regent as a template for gear sounds awesome. It would have to be limited to the weapon, armor and first item slot only (in case of Alchemist, because they won't all have that skill), but it would certainly save a lot of effort in each generation.

I imagine that all the hybrid classes are going to use the same weapons and armor as the parent class, so that should be safe enough.

I like the idea of reducing the amount of click to do things -- always. Eliminating micro managing also seems like a worthwhile effort as well. Hopefully some of the next patches we get will address these (and tons! of other balance and improvement) items.

Smiles

+100 for inheriting Weapon/Armor/first item from Regent. I also like the idea of an additional prompt while inheriting a Relic, that simply asks "Equip Relic? Y/N".

Yes, we really need default equipment, and I love the idea of using the regent as the prototype for the family.

Agree wholeheartedly with the "too many click" stance, especially regarding inventory management.

Well I was going to suggest multi-select equipping, but regent template just feels more thematically correct. +1 for regent template.

Well I was going to suggest multi-select equipping, but regent template just feels more thematically correct. +1 for regent template.

*gesticulates agreement*

Another +1 from me, at the moment I try and speed click through all the options to get to the fun battles.

This is one of my biggest gripes on the UI. I pay attention to that the most, since I study Interaction Design. So reducing the amount of clicks to complete a task is called gulf of execution and this game has a huuuge gulf. I also get a little lost at the beginning, when it comes to understanding what the close button closes and stuff like that. I'll try create a post about every nit pick my annoying brain complain about.

I agree with the sentiment entirely. More than just hotkeys and templates, there's also a lot of room for displaying more/better data and doing some intelligent defaulting.

I've been taking notes on UI issues as I've been playing, and was going to assemble them into a laundry-list post once I'm out of work for the holidays and have more time to compose them.

Sign in to follow this