Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ronniesporch

Ideas to improve how we bond with Bloodlines

I love managing the bloodlines over the generations, however, I feel there could be some improvements to how they are presented as epic bloodlines.

-I know that a huge factor in what makes a heroic bloodline epic comes from its heroes and regents/partners. The only problem is that you never see the past heroes, unless rummaging through the current "family tree" viewer.

I think it would be neat if you could see the spirits of your ancestors in the background at the keep halls. Like when you go to see the current regent, you can see the nicknamed heroes that you sent to battle lurking. Or the the family's greatest hero (based on the time he/she was alive) standing just behind your current regent.

-I also feel like all of the relics are the same, with names slapped on them. The names are great, but they don't offer a "relic" feel in the current version.

-When in battle, and I have all my bloodlines in the vanguard, if I equip cadence armor on them they all look like they came from the same blood line. I wish that their family colors stood out much much more.

-A nicknamed hero should gain some sort of visual cue that they are more awesome than the rest of their fellow heroes. Flags like the standards get?

-A way to tally a family's stats and compare them to the other families. Like, cadence kills/type of cadence killed per family, number of heroes died over the years, number of relics. Something to make the families feel like they are all fighting the same war, but some bloodlines are just better at it, or have been doing it for longer.

-When you are pairing heroes, I feel like there could be something other than fertility rates represented. Like, are the heroes compatible emotionally, or based on their personalities? That way, we don't "reduce them to numbers."

-Perhaps a graphic of a funeral scene when a hero passes in combat, or when a regent dies, instead of just the notification.

I think some of these can make our attachment to the bloodlines deeper.

Perhaps a statue, tapestry, portrait, or bust of past heroes of a house?

(Side note: I often try to pick complimentary and matching personalities anyhow. )

Instead of ghostly heroes, we could have statues of the most famous. Obviously the son who became a Sagewright won't be deemed worthy of a place on honor in the great hall (unfair, sure, but this is a militaristic society). Maybe you can choose to build one for the house and it takes time, removing some of the resources you otherwise would have. That statue in turn buffs the desecndents of the house.

Funerals may be on the expansion pile, but death feels very weak in the game right now, especially toward the latter half when you have so many high level children to choose from.

And I have talked about the relics before, as well as the visual cues for the heroes. Expansion pile stuff for sure.

They talked about using the model of the hero to make a 'statue' for the viewing hero screen for deceased heroes -- but this was in the early discussion of development, so I am not sure what is still planned.

Smiles

All good ideas.

Regarding compatible personalities of Regent pairs, it would certainly make sense if personality affected baby chance on top of physical fertility (because if they can't stand each other, they won't be willing to "try for baby" as often, eh?)

It could also affect the children raised in that keep, whether born there or adopted..

Having parents that hate each other may increase chances of negative personality traits on children. Sad, but... realistic. Of course, the opposite would be true as well: A pair who really love each other will have a greater chance of raising kids with positive personality traits, because they were raised in a healthier and less stressful environment.

After selecting a Regent, when going to select their partner, there'd just be a listing for how much the regent likes each available person.

And this may not be a good idea, but... sexuality could easily be worked in as a hidden hero attribute, that you'd only discover when you appoint your lady caberjack as Regent and find out her interest in all the male heroes is a stage lower than expected, and her interest in the other female heroes higher. You could force her to marry a man anyways, and she'll try to birth some heirs for the good of the war effort, but the lack of interest in them will make the fertility chance and child-raising suffer.

(We'd need improvements to adopting couples, but that's been a popular request anyways)

Sign in to follow this