Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Geek95

Broken Age on Playstation!

Tim just announced Broken Age is coming out on PS4 and PS Vita! Same day as Act 2 release on PC!

Tim just announced Broken Age is coming out on PS4 and PS Vita! Same day as Act 2 release on PC!

Also, seconds later the PS4 Twitter account announced it is coming out in April, which means it sounds like we're lookin' at an April Release for Act 2. Neat!

Also, seconds later the PS4 Twitter account announced it is coming out in April, which means it sounds like we're lookin' at an April Release for Act 2. Neat!

Longer delay than I was expecting. Hopefully the publishing deal for that brings in enough money that the studio profits previously set aside for it can be used to help with a future kickstarter prokect (by which I mean Black Lake, because I really, really want a full Black Lake).

Wow, pushed back to April. More time is definitely beneficial, but a little disappointing it's not coming January.. Oh well. Grim Fandango this Jan is good enough news for me!

(Also, there goes any speculation that Double Fine won't get any money from the release of Act 2 when it's clear a PS4/Vita release is a HUGE audience)

I was looking forward to playing it january, but I have no trouble with the team getting as much time as possible for it. What I've heard about the puzzles and gamelength so far makes me confident that this will be very good.

Amazing news! Felt good watching Tim up there.

I hope this, Grim and DoTT gives them a good financial injection. I love this studio so much.

Seems like they have a really good working relationship with Sony right now. If that lasts it'll be just what they need.

It's interesting, because I remember Tim predicting that Act 2 would come in April/May of 2014!

Glad to see they took all the criticism to heart and are focused on making Act 2 a better adventure game. Really excited for the release, as far away as it still is...

It's interesting, because I remember Tim predicting that Act 2 would come in April/May of 2014!

To be fair, they haven't mentioned that April/May 2014 date since July 2013. When Act 1 was released in January, he repeatedly stated in interviews it would be later than that.

Sounds like they've got Oliver working overtime on porting to just-one-more-platform :)

This sounds strange to me. Judging from the state of Part 2, I was guessing February. If that's the case, I cannot help to feel a tad disappointed.

Sounds like they've got Oliver working overtime on porting to just-one-more-platform :)
It occurred to me that Day of the Tentacle SE is probably running in the reds engine, which leads to this port making a lot of sense.

Can DOTT run on the Reds engine when the Reds engine is 3D?

Are they going to export the art, brush it up, then graft it on to all-new 3D recreations of the original DOTT backgrounds?

I thought Reds was 2D. They were using Maya for animation, but that was still '2D' models.

Depends how you think about it. It's all rendered in 3D with depth, but the actual models are flat.

When Bella is walking in front of a background, she is actually walking through a 2D slice of a 3D space, with a separate 2D background located further behind her in the 3D space.

The documentary shows the scenes from different perspectives so you can see it. It looks sort of like a diorama.

Can DOTT run on the Reds engine when the Reds engine is 3D?

Are they going to export the art, brush it up, then graft it on to all-new 3D recreations of the original DOTT backgrounds?

Similar things have been attempted, to some success:

I doubt they go to that level of detail, but even if they did it more like Broken Age's layering, the effect could be remarkable.

It could be they're waiting to see how GF does before deciding how all-out to go on this special edition.

Happy to see more people have the opportunity to try the game.

Since this was announced at a PS-centric event, any other future platforms announcements were obviously not included. Given that Broken Age was crowdfunded, hopefully any personal or professional misgivings with other platforms would be put to the side for this project. It would be a little gauche if that happen with BA. Hopefully DF agree.

Hey, Double Fine's policy (and mine, for that matter) is that it's good to get things out on as many platforms as possible. If they could simultaneously release their game on all the things, they would - it's just that sometimes because of the nature of the funding agreements they have, or just the scope of the game's budgets, they can't make that happen.

I don't think that anyone is suggesting that they shouldn't or wouldn't release on certain platforms given the chance. I imagine that they might have got timed exclusivity for PS4, over XBox One. It might have even been part of the same deal that made DOTT happen, these deals can be interesting in that way, but my hope would be eventually they'd bring this out for other platforms too, including Xbox One.

It might be a bit harder though because the PS4 controller has built in motion controls as well as a trackpad, which both seem like they'd work well for adventure games (I've used the PS4 controller as a cursor and it's pretty good!).

I thought Reds was 2D. They were using Maya for animation, but that was still '2D' models.
The engine is still 3D, even though the game is 2D. With todays computer hardware, 3D will run more efficiently (even on tablets and phones, 3D uses less battery than 2D because the gpu won't work as hard as it was made for 3D). The best analogy is paper animation (like south park). All (with occasional exception of background art) the stuff is 2D drawings that are then placed on 'super thin' (paper) 3D objects. That way they can be resized (as they move into the background or close ups), lit, and animated by the GPU. DF made a custom photoshop plug in to do the conversion.

April, hmm, Q2/2105 sounds like things got slightly delayed by intention (like a synced release with Sony's platforms and/or something else came in between like GF). Anyway who gives a fuck after more than three years if it will be some more weeks. I expected the game to be released by the end of Feb or early March although i liked the idea if DF would have been able to release The DFA exactly three years after the Kickstarter started. Oh, well the delay might give them some time to fix act 1 too. Not that i really expect them to but the idea is nice nonetheless.

Now as DF and Sony are good friends too (and Sony still has some money) i wouldn't be surprised if they also take a look at Psychonauts. Maybe not "only" a Second Edition or Remastered version this time, at least a sequel. Don't get me wrong, these SE's are good (when they don't look like MIs' SEs) but it generally would be great if DF could make more adventures/stuff which is both new and great at the same time.

Wish Nintendo kicked in a few dollars.... Broken Age seems custom made for the Wii U
Agreed. Though that can always happen later. MOAI on Wii U would be awesome as it would also open up Hack 'n' Slash and future Reds engine games (because I won't accept that Broken Age is the last DFA) to be ported in future if publisher interest happens (as you can't self publish on the eShop).

It occurred to me that Day of the Tentacle SE is probably running in the reds engine, which leads to this port making a lot of sense.

Hey, just to clear this up because I've seen this in a few threads: Day of the Tentacle will not be remade in the Reds engine. That would occasion a full re-implementation of the game (it's a SCUMM game and Reds is a Lua engine) and would not be the best approach here. We would look over all the assets for the game and try to come up with a tech solution that works best with what's there and what we'd like to see improved.

Hey, just to clear this up because I've seen this in a few threads: Day of the Tentacle will not be remade in the Reds engine. That would occasion a full re-implementation of the game (it's a SCUMM game and Reds is a Lua engine) and would not be the best approach here. We would look over all the assets for the game and try to come up with a tech solution that works best with what's there and what we'd like to see improved.

Makes perfect sense... So Double Fine are doing a remastered Day of the Tentacle game? This is genuine news to me and so awesome. Especially with Double Fine doing it as you guys have a genuine love and care for the product as opposed to making a quick buck .. and so will properly remaster it.

Sign in to follow this